Closed to new replies
November 6, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 11

Watercolors

:iconlizanabee:
LizanaBee Featured By Owner Nov 6, 2012   Traditional Artist
So... I've never been a big fan of watercolors, but since talking with fellow deviants, it seems that I should give them another shot. I'm not looking to do entire pieces in just watercolors, but to use them for backgrounds or as a base layer between penciling and then applying colored pencil.

Does anyone have any recommendations on brands of watercolors? I'm not even sure if there are recommended brushes (I'm THAT out of touch with them, lol). Any suggestions would be very helpful. :aww:

Thank you!

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconfarewell-spring:
Farewell-Spring Featured By Owner Nov 7, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Both Winsor and Newton and Van Gogh have some pretty useful small sets, they're not that expensive and they're both of nice quality.
LizanaBee Featured By Owner Nov 7, 2012   Traditional Artist
Thank you! I'll check those out. :aww:
:iconnelchee:
nelchee Featured By Owner Nov 7, 2012  Professional General Artist
I'm using various student grade watercolors (tubes and pans) that are cheap. I know people will swear by certain brands, but honestly I don't see the benefit in spending a bunch of money just to be able to start out with a decent range of colors if you're not even sure you like it enough. If I decide to switch to a better brand, I'll do so gradually.
I use RaphaŽl Kaerell (orange handle) and DaVinci "hobby" (green handle) brushes for watercolor and acrylic because that's what they have in my local store, and they're nice and don't drop hairs over my paintings.

Also, my first attempts at watercolor were a lot of struggle as well, but I loved the look of them and the ease with which you can make sketches in color outside, so I dug into it and now I like them a lot :) but you know, you shouldn't do it just because someone else told you to.
Fair enough. Thanks for the suggestion on the brushes--having hair drop everywhere is soooo annoying, lol.

And I wasn't 'told' to get into watercolors... but I've seen how they can be effective and want to give them another shot. Just need to be a bit more patient to give them a fair run (or at least see a specific application that they might be useful for).

Thanks again!
:iconcinderblockstudios:
CinderBlockStudios Featured By Owner Nov 7, 2012  Professional Traditional Artist
I have a recommendation that you stop letting other people pressure you into something you don't really like much.
LoL It's not that I'm being pressured. I've seen that watercolors can have a useful application in achieving a look that I enjoy and I want to try it for myself. I also don't think that trying watercolors once or twice really means that I've given them an honest try. ;) So... thank you, but it's not like that.
:iconcinderblockstudios:
CinderBlockStudios Featured By Owner Nov 7, 2012  Professional Traditional Artist
well be sure to pick up something in tubes and not in trays that are dry.
Thank you, that's a good tip. :)
:iconfuyuko7:
Fuyuko7 Featured By Owner Nov 6, 2012  Student Traditional Artist
Just get cheap watercolour brand paints, like student brands. Until you get better at using watercolour paint.
Since even if you get really good brands, doesn't mean you're art would look better.
Skill over quality
I use "Student Studio" or something like that
the paint is in tubes
I agree that getting a better 'brand' doesn't mean that the work will look better, but I'd like to avoid beating my skull against a brick wall using a brand that is not as 'effective' if there is such a thing (since my experience with acrylics has indicated that there is such, in regards to them).

And as I mentioned in the post, I'm not looking to do entire pieces with the watercolor--rather use them as either just base coats prior to colored pencil or possibly with backgrounds as well.
Add a Comment: