Closed to new replies
November 5, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 61

Practice makes perfect?

:iconthe-walrus0:
the-walrus0 Featured By Owner Nov 5, 2012
So I'm not really new to art, but I've never been great at it, just mediocre except a few times where some good stuff shines through(I am newer to DA though, heh). I am always trying to get better though, and I love hearing tips from other artists.

I'd like to hear experiences from everyone at getting better in art! :)

Obviously frequent practice is huge, but I've found that sometimes my art improves a lot when I discover a new technique or try a new style I've never tried before.

Does anyone remember anything they tried or started doing that helped their art a lot?

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconkami-ato:
Kami-Ato Featured By Owner Nov 24, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
I suppose it does although I haven't been drawing long enough to make a claim on how I completely changed in my artwork. You do get better at drawing no matter what as long as you do it at least every now and again. One thing to make sure is that you are having fun while you create your art. If your not having fun or even liking what your doing, then it's not worth it.
:iconparabuteo78:
Parabuteo78 Featured By Owner Nov 24, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
I think practice AND trying new things, new techniques, other mediums or a different method, help your art improve.
Also regular drawing, if you want to improve: draw as much as you can. If you use your art materials every day, you will get better at using them, it will become easier. This in turn will give you more confidence to try new things.

Look at tutorials, walkthroughs (written and video) to see how other artists work. See how they use their materials, what papers they use, how they start a drawing, what routines they have, etc. You might pick up something new which will help your own art.
Learn about anatomy, proportion, perspective.

References; use them. Don't try to invent how light would hit a person's face or how a dog's fur looks when it's running. You don't have to copy references, instead use them as a guide to capture reality.

And, it has been mentioned below, be serious about it. If art is just a way to unwind, to relax (which is fine btw) instead of something you want to be good at, improvement might come slower or not at all. If you want to improve, you will have a different mindset and a different approach to art.
:iconpix3m:
Pix3M Featured By Owner Nov 23, 2012   Digital Artist
Just don't be one of those people who prefer to keep practicing their bad habits. Heh.
:icondigitalisvitae:
DigitalisVitae Featured By Owner Nov 23, 2012
If you want to be great - draw from life. Every day. Learn your art history - all of it. All stylization comes from reality. Aping a style will only make you a weak copy of whatever style you're copying. Style develops over time, don't sweat it or rush it.
:iconfionacreates:
FionaCreates Featured By Owner Nov 23, 2012  Professional General Artist
Practice is all well and good, but 'practice' is boring.

I prefer just to make the best I can make every time I work, and I analyse every piece and decide where to do better next time. Then I'm always making real work, not practicing at making real work.

What does make perfect is a fire in your gut that will let you stop at nothing to become the best you can be. If you just draw the same thing over and over with no personal drive to learn and improve you'll improve but slower and not as widely.
:iconcorymckinnon:
corymckinnon Featured By Owner Nov 23, 2012
Something I tried a few years ago that helped alot was using quality paper,before that I drew on anything.
:icondamaimikaz:
DamaiMikaz Featured By Owner Nov 23, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I did this in about 2 years

It really helped me when I started studying anatomy and color theory..... and used a whole lot of references.
:iconerwanna-dragony:
Erwanna-Dragony Featured By Owner Nov 23, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
My art started to improve when started to be more serious about it. Before I wanted to improve, yes, but I wasn't really trying, I suppose... It was just doodling during courses when I was bored. (And I was bored a lot). It was practicing a bit, but it wasn't as serious as it is now, and I didn't improved muc, becauseI avoided what I couldn't do.

Then I started to look at tutorials, to really look around me wondering how I could draw it, etc. And I try different styles and techniques, too. And in almost a year of drawing more seriously, I really made progress. I sometimes wish I did all this before, actually. :)
:iconsanguinediamond:
SanguineDiamond Featured By Owner Nov 18, 2012  Student General Artist
Once I got my tablet the world of art opened up entirely, I was more inspired to draw and learn, and made my most dramatic improvement during that time. It's always great to try something new!
:iconthe-walrus0:
the-walrus0 Featured By Owner Nov 19, 2012
I hope to be able to use a tablet to my benefit as well. :)
Add a Comment: