Details

Closed to new replies
November 5, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 14

The Mind of an Artist/How you think as an Artist

:iconstxl87:
so i just want some descriptions of how you guys feel about your art before and afer creating it, and why you do it.

i find that when im drawing i think to myself: "this art that im drawing is special because it is what i happen to be creating in this moment in time and this moment in time is like no other so this art is special." so with that thought i am filled with wonder at any drawing i create, no matter how simple (i currently do simple doodling a lot). i currently doodle a lot (shapes symbols and designs) and draw simple pictures like pictures of me doing things that i like, or doing things i want to do, or me in places and scenarios i would like to be in the future, some of it is very theraputic and i find all of it special.(i will upload photos of my art once i get the right equipment). so i am very open minded about art. i also find other peoples work to be special for the same reason i find mine to be special, it is something that they created in a one of a kind moment in time. its special because it is a creation that comes from the person who did the art, each person gets to act as a creator in a moment of time that there art is created. i think art is a wonderful, intriguing,intersting, and wonderous thing.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:icondebit:
Debit Nov 8, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
I tend to daydream about a bunch of different story ideas day and night. So, insofar as I am concerned, art is a vehicle that turns figments of daydreaming into something that can be seen with naked eyes. The bottleneck is how to gather some of these figments and bring them out of the sea of daydreaming. This involves not only putting them together into something cohesive, but finding the right set of artistic tools for them, and setting aside a stretch of time to draw.

These figments of daydreaming is quite diverse. They consist of impressions from movies, literatures, computer games, works of art from others, past memories, and so forth. As for the choice of artistic tools, the optimal choice seem to include two qualities: Simplicity and something that I can feel as an extension of myself.

The more comic pages I complete, the more the story that I have drawn feels like it has acquired a 'life' of its own. This 'life' is important in that I generally do not follow the top-down approach; I do not bother with character sheets nor story scripts. Instead, I make things up as I go. This state of near-spontaneity makes drawing worthwhile and fun.
:iconblackrosekane89:
Blackrosekane89 Nov 8, 2012  Professional General Artist
For me, art has been a huge source of validation. It's something I know I am good at. When I have felt less then worthwhile, insecure, indecisive, whatever I can turn to my artwork for reassurance that I am good at something. I am knowledgeable in this. I also didn't attend college until I was 22, I enrolled in art school and I am doing incredibly well in school. I'm in my second year. Doing well in school has done wonders for my self esteem and feeling of self worth.
:iconsewbunny:
Sewbunny Nov 8, 2012   Digital Artist
I'm still in high shcool so my mindset is super simple, I feels good drawing art so i do it again and again, i want to do it for the rest of my life . However i doo look forward for business opportunities ( which is hard as fuck ) since i don't have money or that i'm popular.
:icondelphineapollo:
DelphineApollo Nov 7, 2012  Student Digital Artist
I think about how to get better and avoid drawing the way I currently do. I also think about how to mimic other people's drawing style.
:iconyoon-kun:
Yoon-kun Nov 7, 2012  Student
draw what i want, draw to make me happy, draw to make a future.
:iconshininginthedarkness:
I generally feel something between hate and annoyance.
If I felt the way you do about art I'd probably never get around to actually doing any of it.
:iconnarutokunobessed:
narutokunobessed Nov 6, 2012  Student General Artist
Im trying to really open myself up more, but also trying to tighten up my drawings. I think Im pretty ok on values and seeing it, but my line work if Im ever going to present it, it just does not look very good. Only if I draw it with a pen over my old sketch, its fine.

Pretty much, its technical a bit, though I reference alot. And mostly what has worked is not being selfish and really thinking outside of the box and yet with alot of logical thinking. Its that mental thinking I feel is what makes art special. Like green is not truely green, its a mix of blue and yellow. Figures are not just round, grey is not just grey, etc. It helps to make my art look alot better then my old work.

Its also, I find alot that I can apply many things to art, and the exact opposite too. It fun to find the connections I enjoy.

Also I have a passion for manga too.

And to sum it up, art looks cool.
:iconts-squid:
ts-squid Nov 6, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
I try to not think about what other people want me to draw and instead think about what would make me happy, and what I'd be proud to show them... Idk, I want to draw good art so that I can make other people happy, but me, too.
:iconindustrial-pop:
Industrial-Pop Nov 6, 2012  Hobbyist Artisan Crafter
EVERYTHING I see potentially becomes part of another project in my head. I'm a huge fan of transformation, found art, mixed-media, and up-cycling. The mind of an artist is the mind of a dreamer, a creator, and a visionary IMO. We think outside of time and space, the universe is "the box" and we dare to bend it into what we dream.
I've been asked why I do what I do and how. The answer is simple: I put part of myself into every creation, and when the customer takes it home it's really me inspiring them to keep dreaming every time they look at my work and smile.
:iconafrican-artist:
african-artist Nov 6, 2012  Professional Traditional Artist
I love the feeling of creating something special. Often, I feel like I'm tackling a challenge, and it needs to be overcome. My most challenging pieces have been ones that I've been afraid to do, so I feel like I've conquered the world fora little while when its done. It's an amazing feeling!

Have you ever heard of something called intrinsic motivation? Its what we all go through as we create something. First you're excited to tackle the challenge, setting up your piece and starting to see it form. Then right around the middle, you start to hate it and think you're the worst artist in the world. But then you push through that and get it finished, and that's when you get the greatest feeling in the world, of success. That's at least what I go through!
Add a Comment: