Closed to new replies
November 5, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 14

Making up ocs....

:iconkittybabe45:
Kittybabe45 Featured By Owner Nov 5, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
I read something interesting the other day about varying the shapes and sizes of your characters but I noticed I usually stick around the average person shape. How do you go about changing that? I think that I'd like to learn proportions but I get discouraged when I take too long on a picture that doesn't seem so great.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconmeganmissfit:
MeganMissfit Featured By Owner Nov 5, 2012  Student Digital Artist
I heard doing silhouettes of your characters helps, like this
That looks sooooo cool. I'm amazed she pulled off the one in figure 2. Sometimes I accidentally stand like that and have to fix it. That one looks confident and cute. Mine just look derpy. But they do seem to have more knowledge in how clothes would naturally move.
:iconrovanna:
Rovanna Featured By Owner Nov 5, 2012   Digital Artist
What do you mean, how? Just make some people taller, shorter, curvier, musclier, thinner. When you imagine your characters, do they all have the same body shape?
Well, not unless I draw chibi. Like, I tried to draw curvy and alluring once and she just looked fat. (ex. this [link]) Which really sucks considering some really good artists help showed me where I needed to correct things.
I don't think she looks fat at all. :lol: Try looking up photos of people with the body type you are looking for and draw from that. That's what I do with my characters.
It's kinda the feeling I get when I see people who may be a little more heavy set but I still think they're beautiful. Like, they carry themselves dignified but it's not snobbish. What would you call that? I want my characters to have confidence in themselves, even if I don't.
You mean elegant? Ladylike? I think I know what you mean, like women in rennaissance paintings; they're bigger than the modern 'ideal', but look kind of regal and goddess-like.
Basically. I want them to show they are proud of who they are.
:D Sounds great. I think too many characters are all like, "I'm soooo not pretty. Look at my long thin legs. They're toooo long and thin. And my perfect ivory skin is toooo pale." I like my characters to be confident in themselves too.
I want to make one like me, I'm very shy at first. I want to make my shadow person Willis like my own shadow.
Add a Comment: