Closed to new replies
November 5, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 72

About your art and you

:iconooninayumeoo:
OoNinaYuMeoO Featured By Owner Nov 5, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Why do you create (= draw/take photo/anything) ?
Yes it is because it makes you happy but, apart from that : is it to expose what you feel, to show something to people, what is your aim, deep under ?

How much do you care about what others say/think/comment or don't comment about your deviations ?

Did you take drawing/photo/anything-your-art-is classes once in your life ? How many and when in your history ? or are you a "self taught artist" ad what does it really mean ?

Why do people submit "I hate... " stamps ?? I don't get it... [ sorry for that one but i couldn't help]

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconhiminblar:
Himinblar Featured By Owner Dec 3, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
I create because; I need to, love to be creative and I wanna show the world that's running through my head and what inspires me in life. I thaught myself to draw eversince I was a kid and It's also therapeutic to me. Since I really enjoy to watch other peoples art and thoughts I also want to show mine. I guess I don't always care if people comment, fave or like it - as long as I get my own satisfaction being artistic. But as many other artists out there I never mind the recognition. ;)
OoNinaYuMeoO Featured By Owner Dec 6, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
^^ thank you for sharing!

Yeah i think nobody has problems with recognition ;) (except thoose who lie about it) lol ... that's just my opinion...

:icondelphineapollo:
DelphineApollo Featured By Owner Dec 2, 2012  Student Digital Artist
I'm trying to learn to draw in order to get into commerical illustration but I've had no success in learning the basics. I've taken art classes (both inside and outside of college) and bought tons of books but nothing seems to help. My artwork is in general awful and does not express anything about me in any manner. I really hope one day to just get rid of my style and start emulating other styles. I really want to do this as a full time job and I'm putting everything into it. I still can't even get into an art college. At the moment I really don't care about subject matter, just technical skill.

The only types of comments I care about are critiques. I wish to be compared to professional grade work. compliments are not welcome and ignored on my page. I see them as nothing but lies.
OoNinaYuMeoO Featured By Owner Dec 6, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
I checked out your gallery and i think you do have basic technical skills and even more. it appears to me you have a good sense of the proportions, the perspectives... for instance.

Maybe you should try drawing in a way you never tried before. Maybe you think/focus too much on the result and it blocks you in some way. Maybe you should try and draw just for fun, nor for getting a result.
Art (in general) is bad if you do it just to get a result...
Personal style is not given to everybody and it is not something you can learn.

Apart from that, i am surprised about what you said about comments and compliments. I do see what you mean. But instead of being gratefull you are being mean to people who took the time to write them... :( this is sad. But any way you are totally free to do what you want so... ^^

Well i hope you'll get to what you hope !
:iconeclipsica:
Eclipsica Featured By Owner Nov 30, 2012   Traditional Artist
I used to do art as a hobby, then I dropped it because I needed a career and thought being an artist was unrealistic.
Then one day when I realized my life couldn't possibly be worse because my wages were food stamp qualifying, I decided to make a portfolio. I hardly ever looked back. I decided that I want my choices to between low/unpaid skilled labor (in this case art work) and high paid work.

I do not want to do low paid and unskilled labor. Increasingly I am saying "no" to these types of work situations to the point of nearly being unemployed. That said if there is ever an option of getting higher paid work, I am permanently gone from working on art as a profession. I only choose art as my profession when the other choices are so much worse.

I have taken art classes, wasn't allowed to attend art school and I learn new techniques whenever I can. I am not a fan of the self taught artist. I've taken so many art classes and still so far to go, I don't know where I'd be if I tried to learn everything by myself.

I care about most comments. Non constructive criticism is ignored the one giving it out is seen as a troll.
OoNinaYuMeoO Featured By Owner Dec 2, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
i hope it will be ok for you

thanks for sharing !
:iconponderhope:
PonderHope Featured By Owner Nov 30, 2012  Student General Artist
is it to expose what you feel, to show something to people, what is your aim, deep under ? I really want to display art that I find interesting to myself with imagery and concepts that I find fulfilling. And to hope that people appreciate what I create and get noticed, recognized, and respected as an artist. Someday, I want to really expose all of my struggles with my peers and girls and display that in my art. That's why I enjoy female portraits and art that looks very dark with eroded like textures. If you look at art from things like...hardcore / metalcore album covers, you'll see imagery of angels, butterflies, hearts, etc. I feel like those are very very transcendental and ethereal and display some sort of estrangement from love and a sense of yearning. Something I've wanted for years. I'm not misogynistic, but based on my experiences with girls, they do piss me off. So I enjoy distortions and art that look aggressive and abrasive. People have told me that I have a very expressive style and in my current style, I use a lot of imagery revolving around skulls and faceless abstract figures or abstract figures with wings and one eye. I want to display and illustrate anguish, heartbreak, unrequited love, depression, fury, wrath, anger, etc.
PonderHope Featured By Owner Nov 30, 2012  Student General Artist
is it to expose what you feel, to show something to people, what is your aim, deep under ?

How much do you care about what others say/think/comment or don't comment about your deviations ? I really enjoy critique and comments because it makes me feel like I'm not being pushed aside and that I'm being appreciated and noticed.

Did you take drawing/photo/anything-your-art-is classes once in your life ? How many and when in your history ? or are you a "self taught artist" ad what does it really mean ? I used to take art classes as a kid at a local art museum, and I also took painting and drawing classes this summer. ( those were very stressful) I've been doing a lot of self-taught stuff lately, but before that my graphic design teacher ( who was also a painter and illustrator) taught me MANY MANY things. He left my school to start a business and then once he left, I carried on as self-taught.

Why do people submit "I hate... " stamps ?? I don't get it... [ sorry for that one but i couldn't help] Eh, I don't know, hahaha.
wow ! this was sooo complete ^^

thanks for giving your point of view ;)
hope you'll live a good love story sometime, by the way ;)
PonderHope Featured By Owner Dec 2, 2012  Student General Artist
I hope that is...
PonderHope Featured By Owner Dec 2, 2012  Student General Artist
I will. I know it.
OoNinaYuMeoO Featured By Owner Dec 3, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
yes ! there's no reason not to ^^
:iconpictureonprogress:
PictureOnProgress Featured By Owner Nov 28, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Why I create:
It is mostly to illustrate all the many situations that go through my head; and eventually, to express some opinions about something.

I don't take comments personally :| If it's something I can improve, I'll work on it. Other than that, I take them as opinions:D

Just art class in school. Other than that, I've learnt everything myself
i take them as opinion too but hopefully people will have good opinions about the things i make ^^

thanks for sharing !!
:iconpictureonprogress:
PictureOnProgress Featured By Owner Dec 2, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
I don't think someone likes flamers :I
So I agree with you.

Not a problem
:iconcirprius:
Cirprius Featured By Owner Nov 28, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
I create what I do because it is my attempt at sharing with others the images in my mind. I appreciate it, and look forward to seeing what people comment on my deviations, however I do not thrive on it. As for where I learned about art, for most of my life I was a self taught artist, until somewhat recently where I have been working on basics in college and taking art classes on the side. Now I have an associate of arts degree, but I still have a lot to learn.
OoNinaYuMeoO Featured By Owner Nov 29, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
thanks for sharing your opinion !

i love this "sharing" aspect of creating you describe ^^
:iconcirprius:
Cirprius Featured By Owner Nov 29, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
No problem, I'm glad you like it. :D
:iconparadigmfallen:
ParadigmFallen Featured By Owner Nov 28, 2012  Professional Artist
I write and design games because they are what I enjoy most and believe can be the most deep forms of art that I can produce. Plus you can stick tons of metaphors and lessons in that half the readers might not consciously realize but will stick pick up on.
:iconwalkingindreamlight:
WalkinginDreamlight Featured By Owner Nov 28, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist

I enjoying writing poetry because it coincides with all the visions/messages I see with my mind's eye, and allows me to articulate a feeling or a desire and be able to translate it into words.

Yes it is because it makes you happy but, apart from that : is it to expose what you feel, to show something to people, what is your aim, deep under ?

My deep aim is that what I see are messages for other people.

How much do you care about what others say/think/comment or don't comment about your deviations ?

As long as someone can connect with something that I have written, then the work has done what it was meant to do. If people like to leave a comment on my work, when it has touched them deeply or in a particular way, then a comment would be nice :)

Did you take drawing/photo/anything-your-art-is classes once in your life ? How many and when in your history ? or are you a "self taught artist" ad what does it really mean ?

I teach myself and I see my work as an evolution between mediums of visualisation and writing. When the two gel together perfectly, I feel I can create something truly moving and meaningful.

I am always learning and adapting my work, and like to experiment also.
i love the way words can be art and can express important things. I love to create my own universe with worlds too ! (in fictions mostly)

i also feel the same about touching others through art. It is the more important to me ^^
i am often touched by other's work

well thanks for sharing !
:iconwalkingindreamlight:
WalkinginDreamlight Featured By Owner Dec 3, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
I like the way you see things :)
:iconwezenbeesje:
wezenbeesje Featured By Owner Nov 28, 2012  Professional General Artist
I create art because I want to show myself (in the first place) and other people how my world looks like. If I can see it with my eyes, it becomes more real. Also why I animate too. And I draw because if I don't draw, I get bored and depressed.

Most of the time I just care enough so people won't find it ugly. Of course I'd love it if I inspire someone, but I don't think much about that.

Yes, I went to art school. 2,5 years. I did learn there somewhat (lots of nude models) But I learned the most from myself and another artist.

I don't get that one either. :/
thanks for your opinion and experience !
:icondamaimikaz:
DamaiMikaz Featured By Owner Nov 28, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I've always had a strong sense of aesthetics, even as a child. And as I was bad with expressing emotions towards people directly, this lead me to creating art, which is expressing feelings in a more subtle manner. I started writing story's because I had so many storylines in my head and I was afraid I was gonna forget them one day. I continued because I came to love it, and because it was a great way of escaping reality (which was terrible, because my life used to be a mess).
I ended up drawing because I wanted to visualize my worlds, without having the limitations of language.

I care to a certain level. I love it when people can connect to the things I create. However, I would never just make fanart because commenters ask me.

Nope. I'm self taught.

Why do people submit "I hate... " stamps ?? I don't get it... [ sorry for that one but i couldn't help]
They're in puberty and they just want to act against social standards... probably
OoNinaYuMeoO Featured By Owner Nov 29, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
thank you for sharing !

i like your point of view about the hate stamps... :)

i appreciate too when people connect to my creations ! hope it will happen more and more.
i know what you mean by writing stories in case you forget them one day, i felt that way too about stories i wrote!
:iconsummitstars:
summitstars Featured By Owner Nov 27, 2012  Student Traditional Artist
I draw mostly all of my art. Sometimes I paint but it's rare.
My aim is to get whatever is in my head out on paper. I use a lot of raw emotion in my art and only really draw when I'm going through some sort of manic/depressive episode. I kinda like that I do that, it makes it unique in a sense. :D
I am a fine arts student (I'm on year 3) so I have taken several studio art classes. I still consider myself to be a self-taught artist though because I learned mostly everything I know now through trial and error, rather than from a textbook. I have been into art my whole life, taking classes for it has only been for a little while.
thanks for sharing ^^
:iconcandydechocolate:
CandyDeChocolate Featured By Owner Nov 20, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
I create art because that's the way I can show my feelings. It is as if I'm drawing my own world :D
I do care about what other people think of my drawings; I believe that those critics can help me to grow as an artists :)
I'm taking classes for flash... but I've never take classes for drawing. Ever since I was in kindergarden, I remember I used to draw and the kids would like my drawings and buy them ;P that's how I earned money to buy my sweets >w<
As for why do people submit those stamps... I don't know... but I think that in some way, those comments might help the artist, but I do think that criticizing the artist with those words, is not the way to do it.
OoNinaYuMeoO Featured By Owner Nov 27, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
thanks for sharing your experience AND to answer about the stamp part of my subject ^^

I don't think hate stamps are supposed to help or criticise any artist. It is more like "I hate people who do/think that" or "i hate that book/movie"... It is even worse :p
:iconrobbjosf:
robbjosf Featured By Owner Nov 20, 2012
I started drawing to see how good I can get at it. I'm not really trying to do anything other than that with it right now. As far as comments from others go... If it's constructive then I'll take it, maybe. But if someone flat out says "you suck" then I won't pay much attention to them. No art classes for me so I guess I fall into the "self taught artist" category.
thank you for sharing ^^

but what about if someone gives you a bad and explained comment ? how do you react ?

i can't help feeling a little ashamed sometimes, or hurt ... :(
:iconrobbjosf:
robbjosf Featured By Owner Nov 27, 2012
Well I'd feel a little hurt but not everyone is going to like everything. I have a pretty thick skin so it doesn't bother me too much. I'm just a beginner so constructive criticism helps sometimes.
OoNinaYuMeoO Featured By Owner Nov 28, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
okay then.
i'll try to remember that ^^
:iconhyorina:
Hyorina Featured By Owner Nov 20, 2012  Professional Digital Artist
Because i feel good when i draw, and its like a little goal C: it makes me less stress and get into my own little world.
and its something i wish i could live out of.

well, i care a lot what other comment, and think. :) and im happy to get negative and positive feedback!

I went to art school, so yes ive taken classes..and i went to this place where people who loved to make creative things with hands, on paper etc every week x'D. ( i was like 10)
that's cool !
I love to enter this little word too, and i wish i coul live out of it too !

thank you for sharing your experience ^^
:iconyukidogzombie:
yukidogzombie Featured By Owner Nov 20, 2012   Traditional Artist
i draw 1 to show how i feel about stuff like if im scared of something & don't know how to tell someone i draw it 2 i can draw whathere i can draw my character doing stuff i can only dream of or would be to scared to do 3 its so much fun drawing things i really liked
thank you for sharing ^^
:iconfuteki:
futeki Featured By Owner Nov 19, 2012  Professional General Artist
Well I started drawing because I was board a lot as a kid. Then I went to school for it. Have worked in studios for it. And now I draw comics and stuff to tell stories and make people smile. I really don't give shits if people hate me tho. I mean it's MY art not theirs. Haters gonna hate and all.
:iconpeytonjune:
PeytonJune Featured By Owner Nov 9, 2012
I draw, write and do photography.

I think I'm best at drawing, but my writing and drawing usually go together.

I do these cause they're fun, and I don't suck at um. XD

I care about what people say, because it can help me improve, but I usually like my art or don't like it depending on personal preference.

I'm just now starting an art class in my high school. It's all general stuff though, and I'm the only one who is actually trying.

So, I'm self taught.

People make hate stamps cause they're jerks. XD
OoNinaYuMeoO Featured By Owner Nov 19, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
thank you for sharing ^^
:iconkuiji:
Kuiji Featured By Owner Nov 9, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Sometimes I forget why I draw and then draw to achieve better art. What kind of incentive is that?
But I think the real reason is I LOVE the feeling given by different colors on paper (or screen)! Bright red, forest green, a delicious midnight blue, umph! Love it! <3
OoNinaYuMeoO Featured By Owner Nov 19, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
^^
thank you for sharing !

i also think i do it because i simply love drawing/taking photo/writing :)
:iconkuiji:
Kuiji Featured By Owner Nov 19, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
And don't you forget it! ^^
:iconredfoxbennaton:
Redfoxbennaton Featured By Owner Nov 7, 2012  Student Traditional Artist
I draw because I know how, I do it for fun, I want to express a thought, for lust, I want to capture the real world, and on most days so I can design a game. I draw mostly now so I can impress others. I only care a little if its a good criticism and feel good about it. If its a troll comment I get finicky. I started getting into drawing when I was 10 years old. People make stupid stamps for fun. I also draw to improve my art.
OoNinaYuMeoO Featured By Owner Nov 9, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
thank you for sharing your vision ;)
:iconredfoxbennaton:
Redfoxbennaton Featured By Owner Nov 9, 2012  Student Traditional Artist
You are welcome. Thanks for enjoying it.
:iconisho13:
Isho13 Featured By Owner Nov 6, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Sometimes a draw to let something out. I don't know why but I have nightmares quite often, and if one of them leaves me too unnerved, drawing something related to it helps me relax and let go from it. On rare times, I express my feeling in my drawings, but that isn't common for me. I'm the kind of person who talks about her feelings, so I don't need that escape for my emotions. I prefer expressing stories through my drawings.

Also, I love looking back to my older drawings and see how much I've improved. Maybe it's not awesome, but it makes me feel that I'm 'good' for something, and makes me proud of myself. Another thing I love, is showing a pic to my friends or family and seeing their faces, or hearing from them something like 'that's so awesome!!'. I love making happy the people I love, and when I see them like that because of a picture I drew myself it feels great. That, and I'm like a little child in the sense that I like compliments. :blush:

About the feedback I receive here, I appreciate every single fav I get even if they're not much, and I love the comments, specially the ones where the deviant tells me how the piece made him feel, or if it reminded him of something/someone, or some tips for what I'm doing.

And art classes... In 2010 I took portrait drawing classes for half a year, and in both 2011 and this year, I took painting classes with the same teacher. I love my painting classes. :love: I paint using oil on canvas. :) But apart from that, I'm mainly self taught, since he doesn't teach me exactly how to -draw-, but how to -paint-. Does that make sense? :XD:
OoNinaYuMeoO Featured By Owner Nov 7, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Hi ! Thanks for sharing ^^

"That, and I'm like a little child in the sense that I like compliments. " => i think it is not childish to love compliments because everyone does, but i see what you mean. SOmetimes I personally wonder about why i need this show of appreciation from others. Maybe it comes from the education/type of affection my parents gave me... I give too much importance to what other think (in general) :s and thats bad.

"and I love the comments, specially the ones where the deviant tells me how the piece made him feel, or if it reminded him of something/someone, or some tips for what I'm doing." => i totally agree with that !! That's also why i often comment on pieces, because i hope the artist will like it ^^
:iconvapor-neko:
Vapor-Neko Featured By Owner Nov 6, 2012  Student General Artist
I draw to express my thoughts and feelings. =) I like creating artwork that looks as though it could almost pop right off the page, and I constantly try to make each picture better than the last. =3 As well, I like to put a story behind each picture, as though the viewer happened to stumble upon a scene from a movie or so.
I appreciate honest comments on my artwork. It's exciting to listen to someone as they tell you their take on one of your pieces, and from there you learn how to reach your audience better. =)
I took a Gifted Art class back in high school, and I loved it~!!
Add a Comment: