Closed to new replies
November 4, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 22

I don't get it. (Adoptables)

:iconyouko-mj:
Youko-MJ Featured By Owner Nov 4, 2012  Student Traditional Artist
Ok, so I get it. You probably can't do commissions, or aren't well enough known for it to make a profit. You probably doodle character designs a lot and would like to make some cash for them. Hell, maybe you just need something to fill you're time.

I could understand that.

What I don't get is exactly what you're selling. Are you selling all the rights so you can never use it again? Are you selling the right to use the character but not necessarily own it? Are you selling specific facial features and clothes, or the base drawn on it as well?

These sound like dumb questions, I know. Still, I could never justify doing adoptables myself without a clear understanding of what I'd be selling. A lot of people don't make that clear. Do you sell the character and never touch it again, or do you just allow the bidder o use it?

I ask because I've seen a lot of these things. My friends and some people I admire seem to be falling back on these things for some cash. I can understand that. Hell, I was playing with the idea... But decided against it. I love my characters, rather I use them or not. All 30 or so of them. It doesn't sound like a lot, but they're mine. Unless I still held some rights for them and made a ridiculous amount of money off of it, I wouldn't think about selling them.

I figure not everyone shares my mindset. So tell me yours! Tell me what exactly is being sold, how you feel about it, if you'd do it and so on. Maybe out of my confusion, deep and constructive conversation can be made.

~~~

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconadder-snakebite:
Adder-SnakeBite Featured By Owner Nov 5, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
It's different with every adoptable creator. Some sell the character and all the rights to it, and some just sell people the right to use their creation while still retaining the right to draw, use, adjust or reproduce the adopted designs again if they so want to.
Think of it this way, if you create an original species and you make adoptables of that species, you're only selling the individual designs, not the actual species itself. The copyright of the species belongs entirely to you, no matter who may have bought one of your adoptables.
Youko-MJ Featured By Owner Nov 5, 2012  Student Traditional Artist
Riight! Ok, that makes much more sense.
:iconadder-snakebite:
Adder-SnakeBite Featured By Owner Nov 6, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Glad I could help :)
:iconooninayumeoo:
OoNinaYuMeoO Featured By Owner Nov 5, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
hi !
i really understand your point of view because in the beginning i thought just like you that (in my case) if i had characters, special, just mine, i wouldn't like to give them to anyone even for money or points.
BUT then i fell into it and made an adoptable (it was also an improving phase of my using of Gimp lol )
and it hasn't been adopted yet !
and i feel bad, just like if nobody liked it (whereas i have comments and all, but still ... ), and just like i had this real kitten for adoption in my house and nobody would want it so it is sad for him to be alone :(
it is a complete emotional transfer, in my case ! :p

+ i do not sell every right of it, for me it is more like the buyer has the right to redraw it or use it but i still be the maker and if i want to draw it again i will defenitely do it without asking !

hope it helped you :p
Youko-MJ Featured By Owner Nov 5, 2012  Student Traditional Artist
Yeah, it did. Thank you for sharing!
:iconultralithematic:
UltraLiThematic Featured By Owner Nov 4, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I am just as confused as you are. :iconconfusedplz:
At least it's not just me. XD
:iconisho13:
Isho13 Featured By Owner Nov 4, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
I don't understand it too well myself, but I was thinking of making some. e-e
I'd just be careful about which designs you give for adoption. DX You might not be able to use it if you decide you like that design later on.
:iconisho13:
Isho13 Featured By Owner Nov 4, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
I don't think that's be a problem if I'm going to design adoptables on purpose, plus I only get attached to characters I roleplay with, for vampire the masquerade and the like. :)
Add a Comment: