Closed to new replies
November 4, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 21

how do you start your art career?

:iconthespritefish:
thespritefish Featured By Owner Nov 4, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
how do professional artists/musicians/writers or in other words 'creative people' start their careers? Of course its not a surprise that many creative people are challenged especially with what other people have to say like, "art/music/whatever is JUST a hobby and things like that can't get you a real job." Did you look for a "stable job" to support the things you like to do? how did you expose your art to the world and make a living out of it? what did you invest on to be successful?

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconsaintartaud:
saintartaud Featured By Owner Nov 6, 2012  Professional General Artist
What *weremole said. Mostly it depends on what you want to do.
:iconthenecco:
TheNecco Featured By Owner Nov 5, 2012  Student General Artist
Create a body of work. 20-30+ pieces. Then contact galleries :)

Better to try and fail than not try at all I guess
thespritefish Featured By Owner Nov 6, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
what do potential clients like galleries look for in a portfolio if the artist did not go to art school?
:iconthenecco:
TheNecco Featured By Owner Nov 6, 2012  Student General Artist
skill, innovation, messages, all that stuff. But they see it in shit like [link] so anyone should be good to go really
:iconplantiebee:
plantiebee Featured By Owner Nov 5, 2012  Professional Traditional Artist
Network, network, network and then network some more.
Depending on what career path you want to take in art of course, if this is more of a commercial advertising thing it could be different.
In the end, the more you get out there, promote your artwork, become friends with the right people, the more you'll see happening for your career. For art it can be a really slow process. There are tons of artists out there, its a big pool of talent with small spots on top if you know what I mean.
But if you work hard and know how to make sacrifices, especially when it comes to time and money, it is always possible!
thespritefish Featured By Owner Nov 5, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
studying arts, what are the most important things you think an artist must learn skill-wise? what are genre are you focused on studying?
:iconglori305:
Glori305 Featured By Owner Nov 4, 2012
I work sales jobs, and have most of my life, and make what I want artwise.

Did a year on a commercial art degree, and as part of that interned at a place that made greeting cards, realized I did not want to be a professional artist, drawing what someone else told me to draw, how someone else told me to, and get it done by 5pm.

Art is a hobby, I sell some, I teach some, but I do not make near enough to even make much of a dent in the household budget.

That being said, SELLING your art is a completely different job than creating it. The few people I know making a living off of their craft are either specialized fields (stained glass) or diverse (paint's silk scarves, makes polymer clay minatures, does costuming for the local theatre) and both of the pepole I am refering to above occasionaly have to pick up a job during slow season to make ends meet.
thespritefish Featured By Owner Nov 5, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
so in other words it's still more important to have a stable job to keep your art business going?
:iconglori305:
Glori305 Featured By Owner Nov 5, 2012
People who create what they want, work another job and support their art that way.

People who work as artists, make what their employer tells them to make, and usually want to do something other than art while working.

Also, there are more artists out there, than there are job's for them, so job's for artists do not pay as well as other options, so it depends on what you are going for, and what ou want to do with your life.
:iconweremole:
weremole Featured By Owner Nov 4, 2012  Professional Digital Artist
Depends what you want to do first of all. How and what you may wound up doing is a whole other question.

The job requirements for a concept artist and a gallery artist isn't the same and it goes that way for every art job. Like, just because you can draw comics does not mean you can draw storyboards for movies and vice versa.
Add a Comment: