Closed to new replies
November 3, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 35

Mr Cheapskate and the artist

:iconjamesledgerconcepts:
JamesLedgerConcepts Nov 3, 2012  Professional Digital Artist
After completing a lengthy entertainment project, Mr Cheepskate decided he needed to find himself a good artist who could provide some detailed environment illustrations to help promote his project and ultimately make the project a success.
He looked online, scanning hundreds of portfolio’s and galleries until he found someone who produced the ideal type of artwork.

So, Mr Cheepskate got an email written up and sent it to the chosen artist. The artist promptly replied, saying he would possibly be interested in providing Mr Cheepskate with the artwork he needed.

Mr Cheepskate explained (in ongoing emails) that his project was going to be awesome, comprising of the best game, novel and film that the world has ever experienced, guaranteeing international success. Then the subject of the budget came up.

The artist explained that he charged £120 per day, and the level of detail meant that a piece of art (in the artists usual style) would take 5 to 7 days to complete. According to established professionals, this is the average time to complete a highly detailed piece of artwork (including minor revisions), so the artist was well on track with time scales.
The artist said he would do a piece of artwork for £500, which is £100 cheaper than a daily rate. According to established artists, they earn roughly £200 per day working in house, or up to £300 per day working freelance. So, the artist was charging only a fraction of what a seasoned pro would charge, even though he would give similar results.

Mr Cheapskate wasn’t happy and said he couldn’t possibly afford to pay such a large amount of money. The artist asked how much Mr Cheapskate wanted to pay for a weeks work. Mr Cheapskate replied ‘£30’. That is how much someone would earn in 5 hours on the national minimum wage. The artist declined the offer and quizzed Mr Cheapskate. “I thought you said this project is the best thing ever, and you are sure it is going to be an international success, right?”
“That’s right”, replied Mr Cheapskate.
“Don’t you think it is a bit silly to only spend a few pennies on the promotional artwork, considering it will be the first thing the public see? Surely all of your hard work on this amazing project needs to be reflected in good quality promotional imagery? After all, major companies spend billions on advertising and promotion. Are you sure your amazing project will still be successful if you only budget a few pennies towards promotional artwork?”
Mr Cheapskate thought to himself for a moment. “Who does this artist think he is? No artist should earn more than £30 per week. Anyone can draw pictures; I could probably do it myself. I can probably find loads of idiot artists out there that will do it for free anyhow. Time to get rid of this greedy loser”. Mr Cheapskate spoke up. ”I’m not going to be able to pay you more than £30 I’m afraid, I just can’t see how a piece of artwork should cost that much, regardless of how long it takes to create. It’s not as if you are as skilled as a barman or waitress, so shouldn’t be paid as such. I think you are a greedy artist”

The artist explained that he didn’t live on the streets, but instead rented a one-bedroom property and had to pay for things called utility bills, council tax and water rates. He said the monthly cost came to £900.

Mr Cheapskate really didn’t seem to care, and simply disappeared into cyberspace without another word. The next day Mr Cheapskate bumped into his friend and decided to update him on his amazing project. “Damn artist wanted £500 – he lives with his head in the clouds, so I ditched him. He lost out on £30 the silly man!”
“You only offered him £30 for a weeks work?” asked the friend. “You spent £300 on that hooker last week, £100 on beer, £700 to your lawyer, and £50 on stupid magazines that are full of bullshit. You did all that in one day and didn’t complain once. How come you won’t pay someone to make a huge impact on the public by providing excellent promotional artwork for your amazing project?”
“I aint wasting money on silly drawings”, Mr Cheapskate replied. “I just can’t understand these artists who think that what they do takes hard work and years of practice. Anyone can draw, even my sisters baby can do it!”
“But those silly drawings could make or break your project success. Anyways, enough of that. I was going to ask if you could do some landscape gardening for us next week, I know we only have a tiny garden and all but you are so much better at it than me. I could pay you £30 for the inconvenience”.
“GET FUCKED!” shouted Mr Cheapskate. “£500 is the minimum I charge, whether it takes an hour or a whole day. You must take me to be some kind of fuckin mug! You are lucky I don’t punch you for insulting me! Don’t you think I have bills to pay like everyone else!”.

Mr Cheapskate never spoke to that friend again.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconmicoolsoft:
Micoolsoft Nov 5, 2012  Professional Digital Artist
lol, good job in putting him in his place. You should of told him to get his sisters baby to do it for him since its sooooo easy to draw an amazing landscape and anyone can do it.
JamesLedgerConcepts Nov 6, 2012  Professional Digital Artist
Thanks - I will remember the baby next time!
:iconksn-art:
ksn-art Nov 5, 2012  Professional Digital Artist
awesome real story
JamesLedgerConcepts Nov 5, 2012  Professional Digital Artist
Thanks KA!
:iconfusobotic:
fusobotic Nov 4, 2012  Professional Digital Artist
Had a similar instance happen with me, only the project head wanted me to model 3 next gen characters for FREE. No thanks brah. He said that riches and fame would be the reward for helping with the project. Just remember what the Roman poet Ovid said, "Everyone is a millionaire where promises are concerned."
JamesLedgerConcepts Nov 6, 2012  Professional Digital Artist
I totally know what you mean - a bloody cheek!
I have managed to get away from really cheap work now, but it takes so much effort to find the right people.
Ovid is a master!!
:iconj-humphries:
J-Humphries Nov 4, 2012  Professional Digital Artist
Let's hope one day CNN does a big story with the headline "Art ain't cheap."
JamesLedgerConcepts Nov 5, 2012  Professional Digital Artist
Fingers crossed!
:iconvisionoftheworld:
Cool story bro. But I dont get the point. There are idiots out there. Post all the articles you want and complain and act surprised all you want, it isn't going to make them change. My bit of advice is this: if you think your work (anyone here) is so good that it demands £500 per week- which is close to $1000 USD, and you get people who ask you to do stuff for 30, tell them to stop wasting your time and tying up your phone, and "That's the price!" and hang up. Don't get all involved in their lives, wondering what they are thinking or what makes them tick, finding out what they said on facebook to another asshole, obsessing over how 'stupid' you think they are, just let it go. They're a waste of time, so stop wasting your apparently valuable time on them.
JamesLedgerConcepts Nov 4, 2012  Professional Digital Artist
MR Cheapskate is fictional, I don't think he is on facebook...but I will have a look for him now!!
Add a Comment: