Shop Mobile More Submit  Join Login

Details

Closed to new replies
November 3, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 218

Is it wrong to do art without having real ambitions?

:icondamaimikaz:
DamaiMikaz Featured By Owner Nov 3, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
My friend went to art school and is really into learning art, because he wants to be an professional illustrator one day. He could not understand why I wanted to become better at art, without having the ambition to become a professional. Simply put, he thought it is a waste of time.

I started art, years ago, because I wanted to illustrate the stories I had in mind. I did have the choice to go to art school back then, but didn't do it, because I couldn't just see myself make illustrations for other people all day... let alone having the pressure of chasing deadlines all the time. I chose another job (still a pretty creative one, though) and I never regretted. Yet, I never stopped chasing the dream to be better at drawing things. And not being able to make something still frustrates me, although I know I never have to make money out of it. I just want the pictures to be like I have in my mind. That's all. But I keep having discussions with people that say: "you're not a professional. Why bother? You're wasting your time."

Is it really that wrong to be willing to improve in art, when not having the ambition to make this your main job or income?
Are all of you here planning to make your job out of this?

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconbohobella:
bohobella Featured By Owner Nov 21, 2012  Professional Traditional Artist
If anything I think it's when we start working to improve our art for the purpose of money that we are going downhill.
:iconwicked-nick:
Wicked-nick Featured By Owner Nov 20, 2012
There's an opinion amongst some people that if your good at something then you should be making money with it. This opinion is wrong. The greatest satisfaction about art is expressing your imagination. Money is a bonus for a passion we all share.
:iconerwanna-dragony:
Erwanna-Dragony Featured By Owner Nov 20, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
I don't think it's a waste of time. Not everything is about making money, after all. We all have something we love to do but that doesn't mean we have to become a professionnal to want to be better... It's nice to give ourselves little challenges, and trying to improve on this little something is a good way to challenge ourselves ! Even if it's frustrating.
DamaiMikaz Featured By Owner Nov 20, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
But does that make it reasonable to be willing to improve, even though it won't affect our income?
I don't think so. I love to bake for example. I won't make it a living because I don't want to. (and I'm far too messy and slow I wouldn't be very productive:XD:) But when I improve at it, when I'm able to do something a bit better than the time before,ar when I can achieve a recipe a bit difficult, I'm happy because I achieved something, and I just love baking because I love eating good things. Same as trying to improve at drawing because I love beautiful things. It could be the same thing in sports (I mean, it's good fr the health yes, but why bother picking something else than say... jogging to stay fit when you don't wnat to be a professionnal in a sport ?) and many other things, actually... we need something to set our minds off our daily life, too, and trying to improve on something we love doing can help achieve that too. At least that's how I see life...
Hmm... good one.
Thank you ! Your question made me think I must say ! The strange thing is, spending time trying to improve your art is supposed to be stupid if you don't want to be a professionnal, but for sport, for example, people don't mind as much... Even though drawing is a kind of training for the brain, if you think about it...
Yeah.
The way society judges is really weird, if you start thinking about it. Sport is accepted as a hobby, but art isn't, probably because sport is considered 'healthy' in today's society (with all the focus on weight and a healthy body) and art isn't, where as art isn't seen as healthy. Pretty weird, if you consider that a few hundred years back art was considered as something that helped developing the mind, and therefore considered very healthy (and maybe because obesity wasn't a real problem back then).
I guess we're all influenced by modern media somehow. But it's fascinating how it influences an entire generation.
Yes. But it's stupid in some way, because how would media work without art ? When you see the books, if they were all blank with just the title, would they be appealing ? And they advertise movies with posters, they're using more and more special effects too, that is a form of art ! Would the aliens or fantastic creatures be that realistic and in the animated movies of today would the hair and clothes movements for humans and fur/feather movement for animals in the 3D movies be that precise if the ones who make them didn't spent time to be better at drawing ? I don't think so. But they are still praising it.

And it's very good to be healthy physically, but the brain needs to be "fit" too. And art is a way to train it, among other things.

The world is very paradoxal, nowadays...
It truly is. Art for selling stuff is accepted. It's called advertising, and it's been around us for so long that we even fail to recognize it as a form of art (and to be honest... selling has become such a main factor in it, that I doubt it's creativity). Art just for the sake of 'art' is somehow not accepted, although many people that end up in advertising, start out doing art for fun.

Since society has become so hectic, I think most people long to do some 'reality escaping' in some way. We need to, because living in reality for 24/7 would drive us crazy. Some people escape reality be doing sports, some by gaming, some by alcohol and drugs, and some (like me) use art. Sport has always been the most accepted way. Gaming is becoming more and more accepted these days, as the 'target group' for gaming is growing older and older. Drinking is somehow acceptable, if you keep it within certain limits. And drugs... society always pities drugs abusers, because they have no other way to cope with their lives. But art has always been a strange thing, to most people. Somehow it's always seen as 'weird' and I often get asked; 'Why the fuck do you make drawings in your free time, instead of going out and drinking a lot'. I guess the people doing art are just a minority, in that sense, and the outside world just fails to understand what it is to have a creative mindset.
(1 Reply)
:iconwezenbeesje:
wezenbeesje Featured By Owner Nov 20, 2012  Professional General Artist
Why the hell would that be wrong? There is nothing wrong about doing what you like and not making money with it.
I think these people who said: "you're not a professional. Why bother? You're wasting your time." were just sad you don't want to make art for them, or seeing your art in commercial stuff.
I also have a hobby I don't want to make money with it, but I do want to be good at it. Absolutely nothing wrong with that.
Lol. Why would anybody be sad if I don't want to make art for them? That's no big loss XD
Well it's possible. You're pretty good.
Hmm... but to say it's jealousy or frustration... I highly doubt that.
Compared to the mainstream on DA, I'm only mid-level.
You compare yourself with art you see being faved. And other artists. If you compare yourself with every artist here (I've seen A LOT crappy art with the random deviant button) and people who don't do art at all, you're good. Just saying it's possible. Otherwise I don't understand why people would be so negative about you not doing it for money. It must be some kind of jealousy.
Just take a look at my favorites, and you see I have a pretty high standard for faving art ;)
But I don't know if it could be called jealousy, when it's about talent. I personally hate seeing talented people wasting their talent by not doing anything with the skills they have. But most often those people are jobless, and do nothing all day, instead of using their excellent skills to do art (or whatever they are good at). But I have a decent job. It's just not art. So I don't feel like I put my talent to waste :/
:iconskystalker:
Skystalker Featured By Owner Nov 20, 2012  Student Digital Artist
My art mentor has told me that people spend hours upon hours getting good at their favorite video games, even if they don't want a job in the industry or entering into tournaments. It feels good when we get better at something! Who has the right to tell you it's a waste if it's something you enjoy? :) Art gets even more fun when you're actually able to get the images in your head down, and the only real way to do that is through study and practice!

So personally no, I don't think it's a waste of time at all. :nod:
:iconrctregear:
rctregear Featured By Owner Nov 19, 2012
Photography is my job, but I love painting as well, and quite often paint pictures of the photos I've taken. I've never sold a single piece of art, but I have quite a lot of them hanging in my home, and I do it for the pleasure of painting and creating. Everyone needs a hobby!

Which isn't to say that I wouldn't sell a painting if someone offered me money, heheh.
But would you take requests from someone?
For example... if someone told you to paint a certain subject for money?
:iconopiumtraum:
opiumtraum Featured By Owner Nov 19, 2012
First thing that popped into mind was "soul surfing"- surfing not to be a professional, but for the pure enjoyment of it. I don't see how that couldn't apply to art as well. It'd be a shitty world if everything we did was dependent on the profit we thought we'd make from it...actually, it is kind of a shitty world because too many people already do have that attitude.

Most artists will tell you if you're into art for the money, you're screwed from the get-go. So is drawing for the pure enjoyment of it wrong? Hell, no. And, unless your face is way too close to the paper, you wont go blind, either.
Heh... thanks.
I never thought about it this way, that the way the world works (everything is about profit) is actually the problem with this dilemma.

Thanks for the insight :)
:iconzingam:
Zingam Featured By Owner Nov 16, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
No, but it might be a waste of time!
DamaiMikaz Featured By Owner Nov 16, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Why should it be a waste?
What else should I do in that time?
Zingam Featured By Owner Nov 16, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
It depends how you define ambition...

Anyway... you could do lots of things with your life: you could socialize, do sports, study stuff that interests you, travel, climb high mountains...

And never ask what should you do... Yes you could ask for ideas but it is you who should decide what you want to do. As Lt. Razcak from "Starship Troopers" says: "Figuring things out for yourself is the only freedom you have."

If you know why you want to do something, it is the only way you could do better and be happy about that and you won't ever be sorry later why you have done it. OK?
DamaiMikaz Featured By Owner Nov 16, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
You kinda confuse me
Zingam Featured By Owner Nov 18, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Don't worry :)
:iconxnatje:
xNatje Featured By Owner Nov 16, 2012  Student General Artist
It's just a hobby for you.. so what? Probably it is for many people here on deviantart.
Some people cook for their hobby, but never want to open a restaurant.
:icondragons-garden:
Dragons-Garden Featured By Owner Nov 15, 2012  Professional General Artist
Nah I don't think is wrong, I believe If you enjoy the process and the results that is what matters the most :)
:iconvenneta:
Venneta Featured By Owner Nov 15, 2012  Student Digital Artist
Wow ^^ I just want to say that you have started a really good discussion~ I don't have an opinion because I've chosen art over the other things.. Though I sometimes wonder what would I be if I don't choose art. Goodluck for both your work and art!
DamaiMikaz Featured By Owner Nov 15, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
:iconcrypticmanifestation:
CrypticManifestation Featured By Owner Nov 14, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
"I am interested in art as a means of living a life, not as a means of making a living.”

The way I see it art for me is a passion and a hobby, it keeps me sane, I have dabbled in doing commissions for other people mostly co-workers and what not and only when I am in the mood, some people have been frustrated at me cause I refuse to draw despite all the money they offer me, currently I only take work based on how much it amuses me. And I am planning on maybe opening up shop here in DA. But I currently have no real intentions of going into an art career, unless you know my world falls apart and making money with art is the only way for me to survive. I find that people who do art for money sometimes lose. I dont want to draw unless I feel like it, not because its an obligation. One of the worst cases I have seen was one of my artist friends who became an animator and these days she barely paints for herself, she barely draws for enjoyment anymore she only does it because its her job granted this is not always the case but I certainly dont wish that on anybody.

I paint because it amuses, I have no problem painting things for people without charging if I think their requests is inspirational. I dont want anything to get in the way of that, I dont think there is anything wrong with that at all.

So my suggestion to you, continue to do art for arts sake and if someone tells you you are wrong, tell them to go fuck themselves
Thanks for your wise words :)
:iconm-j-gagne:
M-J-Gagne Featured By Owner Nov 13, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
In that case I am wasting a lot of time. I am self taught and I do not create art professionally, and might never. I already spent years in school training for another career and probably won't go back to do art-i.e. to work professionally at it. I do it because I enjoy the process and creating that final product which hopefully gets better and better every time ( at least I try).

Its never a waste of time creating art if there is some one in your life who appreciates it, even if that person is just you. But since you posting on DA then there is obviously other people who get to appreciate it too.
DamaiMikaz Featured By Owner Nov 14, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I don't know if that's true for DA. There are many people here that publish art, but are never really noticed or liked. They just publish for the sake of it, or because they hope to get appreciated ^^

But I guess you're right. There's nothing wrong with doing art in your free time when you already have a job. That being said; you're quite skilled for someone self taught :)
:iconm-j-gagne:
M-J-Gagne Featured By Owner Nov 14, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Thanks!

I suppose you're right, there probably are some on DA who don't get or appreciate the art of others. Like the cliche says, everyone's a critic. The problem is that not everyone is a good critic, or worthwhile listening to.
Well... I don't exactly 'get' every type of art either, and it's hard to appreciate stuff that you don't get and seems to be pretty simple (at least, on a technical level) to start out with. I tend to have this a lot with abstract forms of art. But I refrain myself from giving comments on that kind of stuff.
:iconluminousbrink:
luminousBrink Featured By Owner Nov 13, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
No, you shouldn't feel that focusing on art is only good if your making a profession out of it. Go with the flow, do art because you like it..don't feel pressured when people say you have to make it a profession or it's worthless
I guess you're right.
It's not necessary to make it a job when you already have a job... I think ^^
:iconluminousbrink:
luminousBrink Featured By Owner Nov 16, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
:) yeah
:iconspudfuzz:
Spudfuzz Featured By Owner Nov 13, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
If there was some big universe law against doing so it would be impossible to do it. :iconmadnoesplz:
lol :D
:iconfondofmusic:
fondofmusic Featured By Owner Nov 12, 2012
I feel the same way. I'm apart of the visual arts program at my school and I'm constantly getting criticized about the fact that I don't plan on doing art as a profession. I've even been yelled at by friends and teachers for not being passionate about art. Overall, I really don't care what others say. I'm going to follow my true ambitions, and make art as well because I want to. Ignore all the people who try to get in your way.
DamaiMikaz Featured By Owner Nov 12, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I have to say: you're quite brave :)
:iconfondofmusic:
fondofmusic Featured By Owner Nov 13, 2012
Nah, I'm just good at not caring
DamaiMikaz Featured By Owner Nov 13, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
That's also a way to put it :D
:iconnosf3:
nosf3 Featured By Owner Nov 12, 2012
well, some people do sports for fun without any ambition to make money with it.
doing things for your own enjoyment is perfectly ok.
DamaiMikaz Featured By Owner Nov 12, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Thanks for your reply :)
:iconvisionoftheworld:
VISIONOFTHEWORLD Featured By Owner Nov 10, 2012
I'd say what you have is "a best case scenario". There is nothing better than being able to do arts (whether it be drawing or painting or sculpture or pottery or metal working or music..) and not have to worry about deadlines, making money at it, or having to adjust your projects to cater to what the public wants.
Art is a terrible means to an income. There are people who succeed, and there are those who can do it and be happy with what they create and always have ideas (even if they get repetetive) but I think the internet gives all of us a FALSE SENSE OF HOPE by the fact of so many forums and articles and profiles on websites make it seem like 'everybody's doing it" and making a career as an 'artist'. It's extremely rare to make a living selling paintings. Most people who consider themselves artists have a 'day job' that is their main source of income. Art is done when time permits and when sold it might provide a nice bonus of spending cash but isn't significant.
You made the right choice about school. I know people who went to art school- and it was needlessly painful, it was all politics and bullshit and no- 90% of the projects you do are not stuff you WANT to do. You don't just get to draw and paint what ever you want in school. And art professors are just frustrated, jealous people who are more interested in grinding down your spirit and 'weeding out' everyone who can't keep up with their ridiculous deadlines ("everything is due by tomorrow!") and the insane cost of college doesn't justify it- especially when you can't find a job with the degree!!!

You will find you can develop your art on your own just fine. Humans have done this for millenia. Not until the 20th century was it that a college education seemed to become a requirement to be an 'artist'. What a bunch of BS. If you become good at art you might become ambitious, and if not, there is no problem with that.
DamaiMikaz Featured By Owner Nov 10, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Tell me... where does your hate towards art school came from? You seem to be quite angry about it.
:iconvisionoftheworld:
VISIONOFTHEWORLD Featured By Owner Nov 10, 2012
Of all the stuff I said to you, that's the thing you're hanging onto?
Add a Comment: