Shop More Submit  Join Login

Details

Closed to new replies
November 3, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 218

Is it wrong to do art without having real ambitions?

:icondamaimikaz:
DamaiMikaz Featured By Owner Nov 3, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
My friend went to art school and is really into learning art, because he wants to be an professional illustrator one day. He could not understand why I wanted to become better at art, without having the ambition to become a professional. Simply put, he thought it is a waste of time.

I started art, years ago, because I wanted to illustrate the stories I had in mind. I did have the choice to go to art school back then, but didn't do it, because I couldn't just see myself make illustrations for other people all day... let alone having the pressure of chasing deadlines all the time. I chose another job (still a pretty creative one, though) and I never regretted. Yet, I never stopped chasing the dream to be better at drawing things. And not being able to make something still frustrates me, although I know I never have to make money out of it. I just want the pictures to be like I have in my mind. That's all. But I keep having discussions with people that say: "you're not a professional. Why bother? You're wasting your time."

Is it really that wrong to be willing to improve in art, when not having the ambition to make this your main job or income?
Are all of you here planning to make your job out of this?

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconbohobella:
bohobella Featured By Owner Nov 21, 2012  Professional Traditional Artist
If anything I think it's when we start working to improve our art for the purpose of money that we are going downhill.
:iconwicked-nick:
Wicked-nick Featured By Owner Nov 20, 2012
There's an opinion amongst some people that if your good at something then you should be making money with it. This opinion is wrong. The greatest satisfaction about art is expressing your imagination. Money is a bonus for a passion we all share.
:iconerwanna-dragony:
Erwanna-Dragony Featured By Owner Nov 20, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
I don't think it's a waste of time. Not everything is about making money, after all. We all have something we love to do but that doesn't mean we have to become a professionnal to want to be better... It's nice to give ourselves little challenges, and trying to improve on this little something is a good way to challenge ourselves ! Even if it's frustrating.
DamaiMikaz Featured By Owner Nov 20, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
But does that make it reasonable to be willing to improve, even though it won't affect our income?
I don't think so. I love to bake for example. I won't make it a living because I don't want to. (and I'm far too messy and slow I wouldn't be very productive:XD:) But when I improve at it, when I'm able to do something a bit better than the time before,ar when I can achieve a recipe a bit difficult, I'm happy because I achieved something, and I just love baking because I love eating good things. Same as trying to improve at drawing because I love beautiful things. It could be the same thing in sports (I mean, it's good fr the health yes, but why bother picking something else than say... jogging to stay fit when you don't wnat to be a professionnal in a sport ?) and many other things, actually... we need something to set our minds off our daily life, too, and trying to improve on something we love doing can help achieve that too. At least that's how I see life...
Hmm... good one.
Thank you ! Your question made me think I must say ! The strange thing is, spending time trying to improve your art is supposed to be stupid if you don't want to be a professionnal, but for sport, for example, people don't mind as much... Even though drawing is a kind of training for the brain, if you think about it...
Yeah.
The way society judges is really weird, if you start thinking about it. Sport is accepted as a hobby, but art isn't, probably because sport is considered 'healthy' in today's society (with all the focus on weight and a healthy body) and art isn't, where as art isn't seen as healthy. Pretty weird, if you consider that a few hundred years back art was considered as something that helped developing the mind, and therefore considered very healthy (and maybe because obesity wasn't a real problem back then).
I guess we're all influenced by modern media somehow. But it's fascinating how it influences an entire generation.
Yes. But it's stupid in some way, because how would media work without art ? When you see the books, if they were all blank with just the title, would they be appealing ? And they advertise movies with posters, they're using more and more special effects too, that is a form of art ! Would the aliens or fantastic creatures be that realistic and in the animated movies of today would the hair and clothes movements for humans and fur/feather movement for animals in the 3D movies be that precise if the ones who make them didn't spent time to be better at drawing ? I don't think so. But they are still praising it.

And it's very good to be healthy physically, but the brain needs to be "fit" too. And art is a way to train it, among other things.

The world is very paradoxal, nowadays...
It truly is. Art for selling stuff is accepted. It's called advertising, and it's been around us for so long that we even fail to recognize it as a form of art (and to be honest... selling has become such a main factor in it, that I doubt it's creativity). Art just for the sake of 'art' is somehow not accepted, although many people that end up in advertising, start out doing art for fun.

Since society has become so hectic, I think most people long to do some 'reality escaping' in some way. We need to, because living in reality for 24/7 would drive us crazy. Some people escape reality be doing sports, some by gaming, some by alcohol and drugs, and some (like me) use art. Sport has always been the most accepted way. Gaming is becoming more and more accepted these days, as the 'target group' for gaming is growing older and older. Drinking is somehow acceptable, if you keep it within certain limits. And drugs... society always pities drugs abusers, because they have no other way to cope with their lives. But art has always been a strange thing, to most people. Somehow it's always seen as 'weird' and I often get asked; 'Why the fuck do you make drawings in your free time, instead of going out and drinking a lot'. I guess the people doing art are just a minority, in that sense, and the outside world just fails to understand what it is to have a creative mindset.
(1 Reply)
Add a Comment: