Deviant Login Shop
 Join deviantART for FREE Take the Tour

Details

Closed to new replies
November 2, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 117

Deviant Art is not Avant-Garde...or is it?

:iconillastrat:
illastrat Featured By Owner Nov 2, 2012  Professional Traditional Artist
I am one of DA's most avant-garde and advance painters. I see a lot of manga and digital on DA. Why don't they carter to sophisticated artists such as myself. Instead I see a lot of digital and manga.

We need more stuff like this....

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconstarlit-sorceress:
Starlit-Sorceress Featured By Owner Nov 7, 2012  Professional Artisan Crafter
DeviantART caters equally to any artist that wants to post their art, whether they draw manga or paint "sophisticatedly".
:iconlizanabee:
LizanaBee Featured By Owner Nov 6, 2012   Traditional Artist
If you do want to be taken seriously, illastrat, it might help to first edit your post. Simple spelling errors certainly don't lend to your credibility as an advanced painter. Also, if you feel that others need to have an art degree to critique your work, perhaps you should have one as well to claim that your work meets the expectations of a particular time period.

Furthermore... should this style truly be what you love and are passionate about, then it shouldn't matter what else is on dA. Create your art and if others like it, they'll comment on it and share it. If you would like to improve your art, then ask for critiques. If you don't care for other people's art, then you don't have to visit their pages. Simple process.

You can play in the sandbox just like everyone else without having to claim that your toys are better than theirs.

Just sayin'.
:iconvelvetfish:
VelvetFish Featured By Owner Nov 6, 2012  Student Filmographer
THIS.
VelvetFish Featured By Owner Nov 5, 2012  Student Filmographer
you wouldn't know avant-garde if it bit you in the Dada.

:iconsabhira:
Sabhira Featured By Owner Nov 7, 2012  Student Traditional Artist
I lol'd :lol:
VelvetFish Featured By Owner Nov 7, 2012  Student Filmographer
:bow:
:iconlizanabee:
LizanaBee Featured By Owner Nov 6, 2012   Traditional Artist
Btw... your comment made me giggle SOOOO much. Thank you for tickling the cockles of my art-history heart. :aww:
VelvetFish Featured By Owner Nov 6, 2012  Student Filmographer
hehe anytime. xD
:iconpainted-bees:
painted-bees Featured By Owner Nov 4, 2012  Professional Digital Artist
we don't want your freaky deeky variety. Take it to an art gallery with a curator who cares :smoking:
:iconopiumtraum:
opiumtraum Featured By Owner Nov 4, 2012
I wasn't aware that dA catered specifically to one type of art over another, that would seem to me to totally contradict their mandate. The amount of manga & digital art would seem to me to reflect the artistic population at dA, & their preferences, not dA's. I find it sad & a little ironic that you would complain about dA catering to a specific type of art, then turn around & suggest that they cater to the type of art you prefer- and based on your example, your art specifically. Where would that leave all those manga & digital artists? And photographers? And sculptors? Graphic designers?...
Add a Comment: