Closed to new replies
September 11, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 105

People say I undersell my art.

:iconmarcoalfaroarts:
MarcoAlfaroArts Featured By Owner Sep 11, 2012  Student General Artist
I think is true, but i don't know how much my art is worth, so id like to ask how much would you "theoretically" pay for my pictures, right now am thinking like 6$ for a fully blown artwork, but idk how this thing works much. :\

Can someone please give me heads up, and help me tell?

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconyellowmelle:
Yellowmelle Featured By Owner Sep 12, 2012  Professional Traditional Artist
there's lots of calculations out there. An easy one is to calculate what your overhead costs and hourly wage is (or if you charge $/square inch that works too), then add 10% for wholesale price and then double THAT for retail price so that you get a nice profit to keep your business running. All that shiz costs money!
:iconfriendlyhand:
FriendlyHand Featured By Owner Sep 12, 2012  Professional Digital Artist
I think vineris and kafine really nailed it.

Pick an hourly price that is at least minimum wage and start there. If you aren't selling then you either need to improve your work, or promote yourself better.

As you get the hang of self promotion, picking good jobs and getting paid, re-evaluate your pricing from time to time and increase it as the market allows.

How should I price my art: [link]
Finding Freelance work, Pricing and self doubt: [link]

Hope that helps
-FH
MarcoAlfaroArts Featured By Owner Sep 12, 2012  Student General Artist
Thanks, dang I am keeping so many heads up with this thread @_@ IS AWESOME, i really love this community, i read about the charity stuff and this is something is happening to a friend :iconbrokencreation: I feel he have been really nice to me and wanted to help him out with a problem about his house and economical issues, I am actually gonna link him this stuff and see if it helps him.

Not removing this message either @_@
:icon2lazy2talk:
2lazy2talk Featured By Owner Sep 12, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
If you're selling pieces for less than 5€, then you're underselling.
Even 5€ is not much!
I knooooow, people have been telling me this so much, i think am settling with something around 15$ and raise the price from there until I reach a limit.
:iconvineris:
Vineris Featured By Owner Sep 12, 2012  Professional Traditional Artist
Sorry, if you want to run a business and sell things then you have to do the math. If you don't know what the merchandise you are selling is worth then you have to set a price and then change it as new information comes in. The price will depend on who you are selling work to, how much it costs you to run your business (materials, rent, time spent, etc.), what the demand for your work is, whether you are sharing the profits with someone else and so on and so on. If you can't take these things under consideration then your business will fail.

Lots of people here charge stupid prices because they are still children and their parents pay for everything, or because they have another job and it allows them to lose money on art. You can do that too, but then you either need to get a job that earns you money, or you are basically giving away your parents' money to keep your business going.
Well I never really thought about art as a possibility until like 5 years ago? I always treated it as a hobby, since i was happy by simply drawing stuff and trying to improve myself, now that i am wanting to start a little business I am asking people how they work, what they think of my art, now I have seen i have been doing wrong all this time, I'm hoping to get a full overhaul to my own identity as an artist and work for some money, since i just reached the age of 18, i need the money, even if i live with my mother I want to help her with the bills and stuff and was considering to get a job on a call center which i have been trying to get a job since i was 16 but in my country that's illegal to have child's ( age-18) as workers.

My mom is also currently working on her own business, as a mechanic, and I want to be of use (as i don't like mechanics).

I think am settling for somewhere around 15$ for a full work, but i still have to do a bit more research, also I am still studying and recuperating from a hard depression, though things are looking up lately.

Thanks for your thoughtful response.
:iconvineris:
Vineris Featured By Owner Sep 12, 2012  Professional Traditional Artist
Then you have what is potentially a really great resource in your mother. Ask her about what sorts of things she has to think about in order to run her business. Ask her about how she keeps records, how she pays taxes, how she chooses the prices and so on. Your business will be somewhat different but all businesses have similar problems.
The problem is that she is somewhat in that as well. :P

Tho she mostly got the hang of it.
:iconkafine:
kafine Featured By Owner Sep 12, 2012   General Artist
You're underselling...

The thing is, I know it's tempting when you're a beginner to price this low because you don't believe that anyone will buy it yet, but there is no magic low number that will guarantee a sale when the work is not marketable. All you do by putting lower and lower price tags on your stuff is damage your reputation, make it so people with real money to spend don't take you seriously. And you might get a few bites from freinds but it's not really the path to making the kind of money you deserve for all the time you're spending.

If people aren't buying, what you want to do is invest time in developing your work to a point where they WILL pay you a fair price.

What's a fair price? Well I figure out a minimum by multiplying minimum wage in your jurisdiction by approximate hours spent plus cost of matierials. There are other ways to decide on a price but that gives you an idea of how much costs you, and those are costs you need to recoup otherwise you are working at a loss.

Don't be in such a rush to take commissions, there's no point in doing it if you're losing out.
Well, the low pricing is more of a fear to hear that my prices are too high and im trying to do some math into the stuff.

Also i'd say i spend a 70% of my art time on improving and practicing rather than selling, though I am willing to take this a step forward.

Thanks a bunch for your tip, I'm not deleting this one for future revising. :)
:iconstivia:
sTiViA Featured By Owner Sep 11, 2012  Hobbyist
:bulletblue: Moved to the General forum.
Thanks a bunch <3
:iconstivia:
sTiViA Featured By Owner Sep 11, 2012  Hobbyist
You're welcome.
:D
:iconpuzzledheartbox:
PuzzledHeartBox Featured By Owner Sep 11, 2012

I never tho people would look at that about grammar natzis XD
*thought; *Nazis
Problemz? :icontrollface:
*Problems

You kids never learn do you? Why do you have the need to butcher the fine English language? It doesn't make you appear intelligent, nor does it make you look cool or edgy or the least bit unique.
Nope, I do it for for the fun of seeing people like you mad, I actually write worse on purpose when you bring it up to me, sorry for not having the best English,It is not my first language either. So :icondealwithitplz: deal with it.
Once again you make the wrong assumptions, it's not because it annoys me ~CostaRic it's because I enjoy correcting people.
Iz steal funz to talkz liks dis.
(1 Reply)
:iconstupidfae:
StupidFae Featured By Owner Sep 11, 2012
You are on a site full of primarily young teenagers with little to no spending money
And posting in a subsection full of 20 year olds with little to no spending money plus a bad attitude

You won't get what you're worth here unless you're fuckin' fantastic, bro.
Already moved to Deviants by a mod.
:iconstupidfae:
StupidFae Featured By Owner Sep 12, 2012
Oh so you're back to the 13 year old demographic
lovely
You are being to harsh with this community, i have actually got some nice feedback. And if they are 13 as you say, then they are pretty nice and smart. :)
:iconneurotype:
neurotype Featured By Owner Sep 11, 2012
Yes, asking Complaints makes way more sense than asking people who are actually into anthro :slow:
I draw general stuff, anthro is just something i have done lately.. don't judge me for my icon damit!
I looked at your page.
Still anthro is not the only thing I draw, actually have spent more time drawing more realistic stuff lately with different styles to see which suits me better.

Examples:
[link]
[link]
[link]
[link]

OLD ANIMATION NO1 EVER NOTICED IN THIS SITE: [link]

Anthro is too easy to do. (at least how I have done it)
Oh. Okay, way too sketchy. Get more comfortable with your drawing tools.
As I said, I am still experimenting. :P

Btw I am self thought(well with some tips) so is not very easy to learn different styles, i actually have my PC cluttered with drawings that are mostly experiments.
You have the internet, it's not that hard to find some kind of lessons if you want them.
The problem is that tuts on the internet dont tell me what i am doing wrong in the moment when i need pointers, don't believe I don't look into youtube and stuff, i try to perfect myself with each big picture.

Also i thing we got too far away from the original topic.
(1 Reply)
:iconmerrak:
merrak Featured By Owner Sep 11, 2012  Hobbyist
Ideally, the amount you charge should be based off of the time you invested, multiplied by a decent hourly "wage". Figure out what you're willing to work for per hour, and call this how much the art is worth to you.

Of course, it's "worth" to others is whatever they are willing to pay for it. If you find people aren't willing to spend equivalent to what your time worth to you, then it's a sign you're either:

- not identifying the right markets, or
- not producing quality that is good enough to demand the price you want

I'd ask for a critique on your art (complaints forum isn't the place to ask for it, go to the thumbshare forum).
I am awful at this forums, don't spend too much on them, tho thanks for the nice response, not removing from my message board after replay for future usage. :)
:iconkeko-illustrations:
Keko-Illustrations Featured By Owner Sep 11, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
If you'd ever like a critique on your work, I'll be happy to help :)
Please be free to do so, I would much appreciate it. :)
:iconkeko-illustrations:
Keko-Illustrations Featured By Owner Sep 12, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Sure, I've commented on one of your works. Hope I don't come across as too blunt :XD:
Reading it right now XD
:icongalacticgoat:
GalacticGoat Featured By Owner Sep 11, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
You probably should have ask this at deviant and not complaints because
a) its barely a complaint.
b) people are snarky and likely to say your work is crappy and not worth a cent.

Anyway the price of your work should depend on the time taken and effort. Also if it has material cost.

You should definitely get at least $10 for a full digital piece even if you're a mediocre artist just because I'm sure it takes a least a few hours to do. People should pay more for the effort to make it then the quality of the piece as long as the piece is to the expected quality of the artist being hired.

Obviously if someone is expecting you to give it your all your shouldn't half ass the piece. That's just shitty business there.

So I say again at least $10, get at least like $5 an hour for your time. I don't know. Maybe I'm asking too much. I'm not good with this stuff.
Thanks for the sincere response, and an OP moved it from complaints to deviants thank to you guys who said so.

I take about hours each day, probably the one that took most time was one I did with a nice background and 3 characters using a new shading technique. I always try new stuff and give my best on each picture i do, i sometimes get too stressed out to even do it and get all bad moody and stuff, and take dam long breaks wich stress me even more.

Here is an example:
GalacticGoat Featured By Owner Sep 12, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
:o that's actually pretty good. I would say a nice piece like that deserves AT LEAST $20 because it has a full detail background. Honestly you could probably charge more then that.
I did it for like 240 points. XD
D: dude no, that definitely is underselling yourself. That's like... 3 dollars? something like that.
Well, I thought no one would like to buy my art when there are better artists out there you can commission for the same price (or close to that). :(

That's why I started giving my art for free a while ago... and still haven't completed them...
:c I see. that's not good. Maybe you just need to build a fanbase? I can sell my art for more then 240 points and I'm not really super awesome at art or anything.
I don't know how to do that, I barely can speak in public and get stressed when I am the spotlight, that's why I don't like having my birthday celebrated (I usually let my cousin take the spotlight and go seat somewhere else)... -.-
(1 Reply)
:icondoomsday-device:
Doomsday-Device Featured By Owner Sep 11, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
You'd be better off not asking that in Complaints. We aren't complimentary and are more liable to insult your art until your genitals fall off in shame.
Add a Comment: