Closed to new replies
September 11, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 105

People say I undersell my art.

:iconcostaric:
CostaRic Featured By Owner Sep 11, 2012  Student General Artist
I think is true, but i don't know how much my art is worth, so id like to ask how much would you "theoretically" pay for my pictures, right now am thinking like 6$ for a fully blown artwork, but idk how this thing works much. :\

Can someone please give me heads up, and help me tell?

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconplanetsomsom:
Planetsomsom Featured By Owner Sep 12, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
there's lots of calculations out there. An easy one is to calculate what your overhead costs and hourly wage is (or if you charge $/square inch that works too), then add 10% for wholesale price and then double THAT for retail price so that you get a nice profit to keep your business running. All that shiz costs money!
:iconfriendlyhand:
FriendlyHand Featured By Owner Sep 12, 2012  Professional Digital Artist
I think vineris and kafine really nailed it.

Pick an hourly price that is at least minimum wage and start there. If you aren't selling then you either need to improve your work, or promote yourself better.

As you get the hang of self promotion, picking good jobs and getting paid, re-evaluate your pricing from time to time and increase it as the market allows.

How should I price my art: [link]
Finding Freelance work, Pricing and self doubt: [link]

Hope that helps
-FH
CostaRic Featured By Owner Sep 12, 2012  Student General Artist
Thanks, dang I am keeping so many heads up with this thread @_@ IS AWESOME, i really love this community, i read about the charity stuff and this is something is happening to a friend :iconbrokencreation: I feel he have been really nice to me and wanted to help him out with a problem about his house and economical issues, I am actually gonna link him this stuff and see if it helps him.

Not removing this message either @_@
:icon2lazy2talk:
2lazy2talk Featured By Owner Sep 12, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
If you're selling pieces for less than 5€, then you're underselling.
Even 5€ is not much!
I knooooow, people have been telling me this so much, i think am settling with something around 15$ and raise the price from there until I reach a limit.
:iconvineris:
Vineris Featured By Owner Sep 12, 2012  Professional Traditional Artist
Sorry, if you want to run a business and sell things then you have to do the math. If you don't know what the merchandise you are selling is worth then you have to set a price and then change it as new information comes in. The price will depend on who you are selling work to, how much it costs you to run your business (materials, rent, time spent, etc.), what the demand for your work is, whether you are sharing the profits with someone else and so on and so on. If you can't take these things under consideration then your business will fail.

Lots of people here charge stupid prices because they are still children and their parents pay for everything, or because they have another job and it allows them to lose money on art. You can do that too, but then you either need to get a job that earns you money, or you are basically giving away your parents' money to keep your business going.
Well I never really thought about art as a possibility until like 5 years ago? I always treated it as a hobby, since i was happy by simply drawing stuff and trying to improve myself, now that i am wanting to start a little business I am asking people how they work, what they think of my art, now I have seen i have been doing wrong all this time, I'm hoping to get a full overhaul to my own identity as an artist and work for some money, since i just reached the age of 18, i need the money, even if i live with my mother I want to help her with the bills and stuff and was considering to get a job on a call center which i have been trying to get a job since i was 16 but in my country that's illegal to have child's ( age-18) as workers.

My mom is also currently working on her own business, as a mechanic, and I want to be of use (as i don't like mechanics).

I think am settling for somewhere around 15$ for a full work, but i still have to do a bit more research, also I am still studying and recuperating from a hard depression, though things are looking up lately.

Thanks for your thoughtful response.
:iconvineris:
Vineris Featured By Owner Sep 12, 2012  Professional Traditional Artist
Then you have what is potentially a really great resource in your mother. Ask her about what sorts of things she has to think about in order to run her business. Ask her about how she keeps records, how she pays taxes, how she chooses the prices and so on. Your business will be somewhat different but all businesses have similar problems.
The problem is that she is somewhat in that as well. :P

Tho she mostly got the hang of it.
:iconkafine:
kafine Featured By Owner Sep 12, 2012   General Artist
You're underselling...

The thing is, I know it's tempting when you're a beginner to price this low because you don't believe that anyone will buy it yet, but there is no magic low number that will guarantee a sale when the work is not marketable. All you do by putting lower and lower price tags on your stuff is damage your reputation, make it so people with real money to spend don't take you seriously. And you might get a few bites from freinds but it's not really the path to making the kind of money you deserve for all the time you're spending.

If people aren't buying, what you want to do is invest time in developing your work to a point where they WILL pay you a fair price.

What's a fair price? Well I figure out a minimum by multiplying minimum wage in your jurisdiction by approximate hours spent plus cost of matierials. There are other ways to decide on a price but that gives you an idea of how much costs you, and those are costs you need to recoup otherwise you are working at a loss.

Don't be in such a rush to take commissions, there's no point in doing it if you're losing out.
Add a Comment: