Deviant Login Shop  Join deviantART for FREE Take the Tour

Details

Closed to new replies
April 30, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 13

Whats the difference between Faber Castell Polychromos and Prismacolor pencils?

:iconhikizuu:
hikizuu Featured By Owner Apr 30, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
I'm thinking of expanding my collection of colored pencils. But, I have to choose between the 2. Can you guys tell me the difference between them? (or at least which one of them is better especially their advantages and disadvantages).

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconfaber-castellusa:
Faber-CastellUSA Featured By Owner May 2, 2012
Hi there, Faber-Castell here.

Our Polychromos Color Pencils have thick 3.8mm leads made of buttery smooth high quality oil based color pigments. One of the benefits of oil based colors is that they won't develop a waxy bloom over time. Polychromos can also be easily blended for layered effects, highlights, and transitions.

The break-resistant, smudge proof leads are secured in the barrels with our SV bonding system- so if the tip of the pencil breaks, it only breaks the lead on the tip.
The cedar wood sharpens very cleanly without splintering like competitors and always come pre-sharpened for your convenience. The color number is printed on the barrel of the pencil and as you becomea fan of the brand you will appreciate that the colors are indexed to all the other mediums in the Art & Graphic range, so you can work with a consistent color palette in all our mediums. Polychromos meaning “many colors", comes in a range of 120 colors.
:iconfaber-castellusa:
Faber-CastellUSA Featured By Owner May 2, 2012
Hi there, Faber-Castell here.

Our Polychromos Color Pencils have thick 3.8mm leads made of buttery smooth high quality oil based color pigments. One of the benefits of oil based colors is that they won't develop a waxy bloom over time. Polychromos can also be easily blended for layered effects, highlights, and transitions.

The break-resistant, smudge proof leads are secured in the barrels with our SV bonding system- so if the tip of the pencil breaks, it only breaks the lead on the tip.
The cedar wood we use sharpens very cleanly without splintering like competitors and always come pre-sharpened for your convenience. The color number is printed on the barrel of the pencil and as you become a fan of the brand, you will appreciate that the colors are indexed to all the other mediums in the Art & Graphic range, so you can work with a consistent color palette in all our mediums. Polychromos meaning “many colors”, comes in a range of 120 colors.
hikizuu Featured By Owner May 2, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Oh thanks! Well, I'll go think about buying your product. I have a question: how many sets of colored pencils do you have?
:iconspicy-tuna-roll:
Spicy-Tuna-Roll Featured By Owner May 1, 2012  Student Interface Designer
Personally it depends on what you want to do with the pencils. If you are after overall brilliant blending, I would not use either but I would recommend Derwent ColourSoft. If you are after precision, Derwent Studio or Faber-Castel Art Grip. For a pencil that does most of those things rather well, Faber-Castell Polychromos is definitely the best one. Derwent and Faber-Castell have been manufacturing professional pencils for a very long time, anything from either of them is definitely worth the expense. You really should look at their full range and buy their sets of 6/12 pencils to try them out before deciding what to get; everyone is different and you should buy pencils that suit your style C:

I would not recommend Prismacolor at all. They're rather expensive for apparently 'afforable. No professional goods are AFFORDABLE, why do you think not that many people go into art? It's expensive! Not saying that anything from America is bad, but Prismacolor have not been making pencils for a very long and I just don't like how popular they are for being not that good!

Hope that helps, sorry for the uber long comment =u=
hikizuu Featured By Owner May 1, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Really? My, I sure didn't know about that! But, I'll think of it right now..
:iconthe-demons-within:
The-Demons-Within Featured By Owner May 1, 2012  Student Digital Artist
I only own the Faber Castell Polychromos and never used Prismacolor pencils, even though many people recommend them. But I like my Polychromos, some years ago I worked a long time with really cheap colored pencils and I must they the Polychromos are just so much better, I for myself have the feeling that I can draw and blend colors very smoothly with them and that makes it really fun to use them.
Maybe you should just try out some colors of both types of them, so you can figure out by yourself which of them you like the most :)
Ah.. well I think I could try with that for a time.
:icondraze:
draze Featured By Owner May 1, 2012   Traditional Artist
I have always used Prismas, but recently I have also wanted to try new things. My only advice would be to do what I am doing, and that's get a few different singles, and test them out. Take em for a test drive.

I may end up sticking to my tried and true prismas, but at least ill have experience to back that decision.
I think I'll be able to go with that.
:icondragonstormstudios:
DragonstormStudios Featured By Owner May 1, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
I use polychromos and I prefer them to prismacolour because they are richer and they blend really well. Then again, it might be because of my method of application. [nods towards gallery] I guess it depends on your personal preference.
Add a Comment: