Closed to new replies
November 20, 2011
Link

Statistics

Replies: 92

How to get my artwork noticed ?

:iconkagoe:
Kagoe Featured By Owner Nov 20, 2011  Professional Traditional Artist
I noticed people often say submitting to groups is a good way of getting noticed but I've submitted to loads of groups and still not received much attention. For example... [link]

Is there something my artwork is missing? Or do I just need to try a different approach.. :iconteatimeplz:

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconcinderblockstudios:
CinderBlockStudios Featured By Owner Dec 26, 2011  Professional Traditional Artist
You have 151 watchers...you're plenty noticed.
:iconmadg3ni0us:
MADG3ni0us Featured By Owner Dec 26, 2011  Student Digital Artist
That pic has almost 1k views and over 200 favs I think your doing pretty good honestly.I think just keep up what your already doing and build up some faithfull watchers over time.Then as you get even better even more people will begin to watch you and after a while you'll be drowning in views~
:iconpeteyxkid:
PeteyXkid Featured By Owner Dec 26, 2011  Student Digital Artist
HERE I WILL EXPLAIN IT ALL:

Things u need to do:
1) Being active, submitting arts weekly(2-3 times) will sure get u full attention, not more than that, or else, watchers may get pissed off because you have a care more about quantity (number) rather than quality (hard work on a single drawing).
2) Groups, its a community that a lot of people like to join in, sure it will give u enough attention because there are like 1000+ watchers in it, but that attention is not probable, I always thought that 1000+ view on my deviation, but I was wrong since half of the watchers will "x" the file from their mail, 1/4 may reply lately. and the others may be deleted or inactive at all, these conditions give you 250 views as maximum. (sad, isnt it?)
3) Commu-link, what is that u say? its a word I invented that means connecting one community website with another to get more exposure, just like youtube and Deviantart, u can use twitter, tumblr, myspace etc to do the same too. I like using this since my friends will watch my work without going to them and showing it LOL.
4) Think of ways people will have ur attention, like add fitting colors in ur drawing so that they want to view it in their message board, and at least view it without any comments or fave. There was one time a friend of mine did a drawing that looked almost realistic that it made me click it LOL and it was just some lines and shapes connected LOL

I wish I helped :D
:iconsiehorse:
Siehorse Featured By Owner Dec 25, 2011  Student Digital Artist
Dude who cares. it's an internet profile that has no weight in the real world. what's better - focusing on the quality of your art or trying to kick up your pageviews?
:iconladykuki:
LadyKuki Featured By Owner Dec 25, 2011  Student General Artist
Ah, now I see why you want more views: Apparently 4k is not enough. I would kinda feel the same way if I were you. I'm your want 100,000+ page views.

Nevertheless, in order to get more views; I personally believe that you just need to keep drawing and be active on the forums. Whether it may be fanart or an OC, just keep drawing. I know how you feel, I want to become a famous animator one day. :P
Draw for yourself. Draw what you feel. Draw ANYTHING. It will satisfy your watchers, and might even attract more.
Groups? I personally don't think you need to join anymore, but hey, if it helps you get more views, then that's A-Okay. I WOULD join groups, but I fear that my artwork isn't very good enough to stand out <.< It's basically stickmen compared to other drawings that are submitted to groups, lol. But then again, I'm only a teenager, and I don't exactly know much about all these techniques professionals use... :P

Anyway, Keep drawing, EVEN if no one is watching or favoriting your stuff at the moment. The key to fame is to not only have the talent, but to be persistent. That's how most people become famous.
Another suggestion is to help people out. Like, you can give them critique and stuff that could help them out with their artwork. Trust me, I do it A LOT. It not only pays off, but it makes me feel like a better person ^^.

Happy Drawing! And Happy Holidays! ^^
:iconjorani2194:
jorani2194 Featured By Owner Dec 25, 2011  Student Traditional Artist
Well, for example I think that styles like Manga and anime are used so often by so many people that it can be hard to find a really good, unique manga artist. So I think if you are doing a mainstream style, you have to try to be very unique and new and fresh in order to be really noticed. Otherwise people may see the work and it wont pop out to them because they see so many things that are similair.
Submit to groups, And also forums helps because then people see your thumbnail pics. Commenting on others work and watching them may give them interest to watch you as well. ^^
:iconineuron:
iNeuron Featured By Owner Dec 25, 2011
I submitted my last piece to 10-11 groups and got 105 views and 5 faves and 1 comment. Dont tell me you are not getting the attention you want.
Also you have 151 watchers while some(me) here have 6.
[link] this is my piece im talking about
:iconsiehorse:
Siehorse Featured By Owner Dec 25, 2011  Student Digital Artist
Hehehe I was the comment! ;)
Kagoe Featured By Owner Dec 25, 2011  Professional Traditional Artist
It depends on what you draw I guess. The drawing you sent is very good, but I can see why the surreal style might not be a mainstream taste. Whereas if you draw things which people are familiar with, they're more likely to like and respond to it.
:iconineuron:
iNeuron Featured By Owner Dec 25, 2011
I'd consider it street/tattoo art myself though.
Kagoe Featured By Owner Dec 26, 2011  Professional Traditional Artist
Fair enough, it's very stylish.
:iconcrimnor:
Crimnor Featured By Owner Dec 25, 2011  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Are you f**ing kidding me?

Comments:
Favourites:
214 [who?]
Views:
974 (21 today)

and you call that not noticed?
Maybe...
Just out of curiosity, how many comments, views and favorites your lust for attention needs to feel noticed enough?
Lust is an interesting word to use.. Enough to make my art recognizable, I guess. I want art to be my main thing in life so I need to get noticed before that's possible.
I too can't think of anything better than making a living by making pretty pictures. I think like half if not more of dA's users share that dream.
While I think self-promotion is very OK at this age of individualism, I also think that you have been already noticed by quite a few users.

About the "main thing"- thing, you can draw and paint with passion without being the hotstuff that everyone is talking about. I think so :o
(sorry for obvious exaggeration)
That's a good point. I'm just very passionate about improving and getting my art attention because I know how competitive it is.
True, but it's still no where near the amount a lot of artists get on this website.

That's also true. I'm aiming to be both though, I love art so much. (sorry to be overly dramatic)
I think the competition is even rougher in arts than in some big money business, just because so many share the same dream.
Either way, I guess all one can do is pursue their dream :)
Kagoe Featured By Owner Dec 26, 2011  Professional Traditional Artist
So true, we all have to make our own path to success. :)
:icondunez:
Dunez Featured By Owner Dec 16, 2011
tag them with words like yiff yaoi etc.

or you could just start making yiff.
That might be just a tad bit misleading.. ;P
:iconiancjw:
iancjw Featured By Owner Dec 16, 2011  Professional Digital Artist
give nice constructive critiques to other art, leave comments on peoples polls or journals, be more active in the forums. join other websites such as cghub, cgsociety etc.

Hope this helps!
Thank you for the comment. Don't worry, it does help. I'll keep it in mind :)
:iconperilousrealms:
perilousrealms Featured By Owner Dec 4, 2011
some groups have more traffic than others. choose the right ones. and if all you're looking for is some attnetion and comments so you can get feedback, you can always try drawing fanart.
I'm not sure which ones are the best though. I just go with any and hope for the best lol.

Fanart is good, but if you overdo it, it seems to annoy watchers..
:iconravers-disease:
Ravers-Disease Featured By Owner Dec 4, 2011   General Artist
There are so many people on dA... It's a very popular site. I'm not noticed that much either but for only being on here for two months I'm doing pretty good. Just because you don't have twenty faces for each deviant doesent mean anything. And it's true that anime/ manga and anthro are overrated on here... So that kind of stuff won't be too noticed... Which might be my problem
I share your problem, my main specialty is anime/manga. It's not a conscious decision, I just draw what I'm good at. It's just a shame it's such a competitive category.
:iconhobbnob1:
hobbnob1 Featured By Owner Dec 5, 2011  Student General Artist
Actually it's the very opposite, comic is vastly popular here because almost everyone here makes it and therefore they can give feedback and view other's work, therefore making them more popular.
:iconharlequinqb:
HarlequiNQB Featured By Owner Dec 4, 2011  Professional Digital Artist
Comments per deviation: 72
Favourites per deviation: 204
Views per deviation: 1,242
Comments per day: 4.83
Favourites per day: 13
Deviation views per day: 82

You not hurting for attention you know...
I should be looking to *you for tips ;D
:iconchristoferrudd:
ChristoferRudd Featured By Owner Dec 25, 2011  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Only 16 views for

Submit it to portrait art group or something cause that painting is awesome
HarlequiNQB Featured By Owner Dec 26, 2011  Professional Digital Artist
Ah, but I'm not really in it for the views, it's just an easy place to keep my better stuff together (My blog is sprawling, my facebook private and flickr's limiting). That said I'll take your advice - I'm not exactly in love with that piece, but if someone likes it (you) then I guess it's worth sharing :) I note you haven't faved it though , but on inspection after 9 months you've marked very few images, so I'm guessing it takes a lot to really grab a fav from you - which is fine by me :)
ChristoferRudd Featured By Owner Dec 26, 2011  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
One never likes his own work cause he sees all the flaws in it.

I'm trying to change my mindset about the favorite thing but for now i still use it as a bookmark option, for the things i might need down the line. Still hoping they add something like that so i can use favorite for the things i like (e.a. one huge mess with countless pieces).
Ah, that makes sense. I use my Favs for both - The folders down the side are there to make things easier to find for me, while the featured is one big mess, as you put it :)

You could add one for bookmarked stuff. The only real pain is remembering to go and put things in the right folders before you get overcrowded.
ChristoferRudd Featured By Owner Dec 26, 2011  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Woah thanks man, it never crossed my mind that i can segregate the favorites just like deviations. Brb i'm gonna favorite the shit out of internet
No problem :)
LOL thank you! To be fair, most of those stats are because of one particular drawing.. [link] ;D
Which is a rather good pic of a very popular character. I think you have the answer as to how to get better noticed right there ;)
:iconry-nee:
Ry-nee Featured By Owner Dec 4, 2011
You could join and make contests. Be active in the forums. Comment on other people's artwork. Make other people art. Feature other people. Give and take! :) When you give you get!
Thank you for the comment, that's helpful advice. I will try to be more active with the Deviant community! :)
:iconcloudxxxxx:
CloudxXxXx Featured By Owner Dec 4, 2011
Hmm. . . Maybe try those weird contests DA have sometimes
Kagoe Featured By Owner Dec 4, 2011  Professional Traditional Artist
I could, I've entered one and came third :meow: [link]
:iconcloudxxxxx:
CloudxXxXx Featured By Owner Dec 16, 2011
Aww cool! ;3
:iconstarlit-sorceress:
Starlit-Sorceress Featured By Owner Nov 27, 2011  Professional Artisan Crafter
I've never had much of a problem getting noticed, but that's because I'm a jewelry artist on a site full of photographers and manga artists. People like my work because it's different than what they normally see. Specialize (if you can) in something that hasn't been done before or isn't done enough.

Which photographer would you be more likely to watch?

-Takes pretty good macro photos of a bunch of different things.
-Takes mostly macro photos of lego people in funny poses.
True, you have that advantage over my artwork because mine is mainly anime. I guess people are looking for something more refreshing. My skills in other areas of art are lacking so I'm not sure its worth the risk of changing my style that extremely.

Aha i've never seen myself as a photographer but I'd probably go with 'Takes pretty good macro photos of a bunch of different things'.
:iconstarlit-sorceress:
Starlit-Sorceress Featured By Owner Dec 5, 2011  Professional Artisan Crafter
Don't sell yourself short. Anime can be refreshing too. Some of the most popular anime pieces on the entire site are made by taking familiar characters that nobody would EVER imagine them in an anime style...and then draw them in an anime style. (Simpsons, Futurama, probably Family Guy by now)

Try anime-izing your favorite non-anime fandom. LOTR? Star Wars? I'm interested to see what you come up with.
:iconensoul:
ensoul Featured By Owner Dec 4, 2011  Professional General Artist
Anime/manga is ridiculously popular, especially on here. One suggestion might be to clean up your photos/scans of drawings. They'll pop a lot more without the grays and glares.
:iconphantomstalker:
PhantomStalker Featured By Owner Nov 26, 2011  Student General Artist
Well that picture is more popular than anything I have in my gallery lol...the best thing you can do is continue what you're doing, stay active on DA, joining groups, start commenting on DA more and put up more deviations. Be active on the forums, everyone loves feedback on DA, the more you put yourself out there the more people are going to turn to your page. Also I learned, icons can make all the difference to get someone to go to your page. I will only go to someone's DA page if their icon looks interesting if I've never seen them before. When i changed form my previous icon, my page views jumped up a bit, not significantly but make that little thing more appealing and people are more likely to stop by as well.
lol serious? I don't see why, your artwork is beautiful.

Thank you by the way, thats good advice! Do you think I should change my icon or is okay? I mean, if you saw it would it make you want to check out my profile..
:iconphantomstalker:
PhantomStalker Featured By Owner Dec 4, 2011  Student General Artist
Oh thank you c':

Well looking at your icon I know you can draw but it doesn't stand out as much as most peoples. It looks like an unlit scanned picture. As long as you brighten it up it should be good. Thats why people like getting animated icons or something that shows off a little part of what they're good at drawing, something bright. When you scan your pictures just play with the levels so the colors are more bold. I think Naruto is still popular and if that's the kind of people you want to attract, keep that one.
:iconmarcustaylor:
marcustaylor Featured By Owner Nov 26, 2011
Heya Kagoe,

Lots of really good suggestions on here about getting your artwork noticed exclusively on Deviantart here, but if you want tips on how to generally get your work noticed by large audiences then I can probably offer a few tips from a book I wrote called Get Noticed ([link]), which is about raising awareness of yourself or your product in a busy space.

One of the key things that was definitely true for me as a musician and probably true for an artist is the aspect of 'it's who you know', and who you know is determined by how you spend your time. I strongly recommend using sites like Meetup.com to find groups of local artists who you can meet and share tips with, and also attending art conventions or similar events to meet as many people as possible - one thing that worked very well for me was blogging, as it made it very easy to get in contact with influential people to interview them and meet them (and they would often then return the favour by promoting my blog or music).

From a social media perspective, I would definitely look at submitting your artwork to more platforms than just DA (although this is the best one) I also recommend using Flickr for getting your artwork in front of bloggers and journos, as well as using Tumblr and Posterous to reach an even larger audience. You can use tools like Hootsuite or Ping.fm to distribute your art to all of these places in one go.

Hope that helps, any questions feel free to fire me an email (marcus at wegetnoticed dot com)

Cheers
Add a Comment: