Closed to new replies
November 8, 2011
Link

Statistics

Replies: 10

Charging for comic pages?

:iconchemicalnova:
Chemicalnova Featured By Owner Nov 8, 2011  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Someone was interested in commissioning me for a comic set of two pages, 8-10 panels a piece.

I've never been commissioned for a comic before so im not sure how to charge for it.

My rates are 8$ per character/pose.
How much should i charge?
Have you guys been commissioned for comics?
how much do you charge?
how do you scale the price? (per panel/per character/per page)

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconsaurabhinator:
Saurabhinator Featured By Owner Nov 9, 2011  Hobbyist Digital Artist
You should try drawing a comic page for yourself and timing how long it takes.
Chemicalnova Featured By Owner Nov 11, 2011  Hobbyist Digital Artist
He hired me for 50$ a page plus up to 20$ extra if i get it how he imagined it to look :D

I would but my problem is i take FOREVER to draw and color something. I guess im an anal artist, if it doesnt look perfect then ill spend over a week just trying to fix it XD
:iconsaurabhinator:
Saurabhinator Featured By Owner Nov 11, 2011  Hobbyist Digital Artist
that seems reasonable for a hobbyist if you are fast enough. The best way to decide would obviously be to know how loong it takes you to get a comic page done, remember that when you are doing something for someone else they will probably want you to make adjustments and changes to it, which will also just add to the time.
I find it strange that someone would commission you for a comic page when I don't see any comic pages in your gallery though. :/ . Comic pages are much harder to do than single pin up style drawings and require much more thought.
Chemicalnova Featured By Owner Nov 11, 2011  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I though it was a bit weird too, though it was through another site. He may be trying to scam, or maybe he found me someplace and like my stuff...im not really sure.

I havent promoted on the site that he found me on in over 4 months, so im going to keep an eye on this one and watermark the heck out of the pages :p ...sometimes some things seem to good to be true.
:iconjoe5art:
Joe5art Featured By Owner Nov 8, 2011  Professional General Artist
It depends on what they are willing to pay and how bad you want the job. I usually try to think how long it's going to take and base a price from there. It say it would take me at least 8 hrs to do a page from layout to inking. So a $100 a page is going to be maybe $10 an hour.

Raerae is right there is a lot more setting up to doing a story than a single drawing.
man i have no idea because i nit pick everything and it usually takes me days to finish an artwork :< if one thing doesnt look right ill edit,edit,edit and edit some more.

Im thinking like 40 because of wait times.
:iconjoe5art:
Joe5art Featured By Owner Nov 8, 2011  Professional General Artist
It totally depends on you. From a business standpoint I'd like to think that I'm skilled labor and worth at least $10 an hour. Reality is how much money can they spend or how bad do i want the job. I use to do free art for San Diego Con for years just because they USED IT and Printed It. It was worth being seen to not get paid for it.
:iconraerae:
raerae Featured By Owner Nov 8, 2011  Student General Artist
Most people I know that charge for comics rec' about $100 a page.
O_O i think that might be a bit of over kill for me.
:iconraerae:
raerae Featured By Owner Nov 8, 2011  Student General Artist
:lol: Possibly. Do take into consideration that there's a lot more to drawing comics than just characters, though. There's also panelling, pacing, and the fact that you're telling a story. Honestly even at your price range, I wouldn't do it for less than $50/page.
Add a Comment: