Link

Statistics

Replies: 82

How would you classify my art?

:iconseraphine:
seraphine Featured By Owner Nov 8, 2011  Professional Traditional Artist
Hi,

I'm curious....

Please take a look at my gallery and let me know how you would would classify my art, mainly my paintings. What category would you put me in?

I'm asking because I'm trying to find my target audience.

Thanks so much :)

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconartofjeffhebert:
ArtofJeffHebert Featured By Owner Nov 10, 2011  Hobbyist General Artist
Naive Art. Seriously! And I like it! Reminds me of refined Picasso portraiture. And I like the colors you use.
seraphine Featured By Owner Nov 10, 2011  Professional Traditional Artist
Thanks Jeffbear21 :)
:iconartofjeffhebert:
ArtofJeffHebert Featured By Owner Nov 10, 2011  Hobbyist General Artist
No problem. I looked up Naive Art after it was brought up I this thread and I would definitively say it belongs there. I however hate the name. "Naive" has always had a negative stigma I would prefer Whimsical Portraiture lol. Or Whimsical Art.
Thanks Jeff...I really appreciate your feedback
:icongarnet-moon:
garnet-moon Featured By Owner Nov 10, 2011
perilousrealms is absolutely correct. Art doesnt fit in a box. Can't, won't, and shouldn't. By encouraging people to be different, qwirky, unique, that brings out true geniousness. Not copying what so-and-so is doing. freedom of religion is the same as freedom of art. My art IS my religion, and thats how I choose to express it. I think Seraphine only wanted an indication if her work was more abstract or impressionist, or even expressionist. I think, myself, I see Seraphine's art as expressionist.
Thank you garnet....that absolutely makes sense.
:iconredsteam:
RedSteam Featured By Owner Nov 10, 2011  Student General Artist
Well, if you have YOUR style than it doesn't have a category
well, that doesn't necessarily make sense.
Everyone has their own style...but can fit into a category somehow.
:iconredsteam:
RedSteam Featured By Owner Nov 10, 2011  Student General Artist
Sorry i'll try to explain better, everyone has their own style but except for the artists who created that category it's rare to trully fit into a category, even if you limit yourself and put a lot of effort into one unique style also everyone will look in a different way to your style.

(For example, one teacher of mine categorise some of my works as "influenced by impressionism" another "with surrealist inspiration" some friends see other drawings with my style as "cartoony" others as "like anime" any classification is imprecise because it changes from person to person.)

Peaple usually see art as fitting into adjectives/caracteristics not categories, for example i see this one from your gallery as: [link]
"fluid, relaxing, watercolor, confortable colors"
:iconvineris:
Vineris Featured By Owner Nov 9, 2011  Professional Traditional Artist
Looks like Naive Art to me. It's a legitimate style/genre: [link]
I think you probably ought to study naive art more, figure out what's appealing about it and what seems to work for other people.
Add a Comment: