Link

Statistics

Replies: 32

clutch pencil vs mechanical?

:iconvampibat:
vAmPiBaT Featured By Owner Jun 24, 2011  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
which is better and give reasons please

ive only used mechanical but i find them too thick

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconhurricanrana:
Hurricanrana Featured By Owner Jul 4, 2011
I'm with everybody else who uses .5 lead. I use Pentel twist-erase pencils ([link]) and they're perfect for my needs.
:icondoubledown009:
DoubleDown009 Featured By Owner Jul 4, 2011  Student Traditional Artist
i like regular pencils more. although, i use pencils ranging from 5h to 5b, so i can get as detailed or dark or light as i need. plus, the tips stay sharp for a good amount of time.
:iconmiskui:
Miskui Featured By Owner Jun 29, 2011  Student Filmographer
I go to art school for computer animation and mechanical pencils are outlawed.
Mechanical pencils - when sketching - make the drawing look stiff because the line is constant throughout the entire image. This makes it appear flat. My Traditional Animation teacher took my mechanical pencil out of my hand laughing and said, "Oh no, not this. No - you can't do THAT!"

Even though you have to keep sharpening a regular pencil, the line quality is outstandingly better. There's more flow. So although mechanical pencils are nice, unsharpenable, and smooth and constant - comparing my drawings of mechanical and wooden pencils side by side - mechanical pencils will never capture movement as a old-fashioned wooden one. But if you're doing finishing detail at the very end and need to get into hard to reach areas - a mechanical pencil will work.
:iconegypturnash:
egypturnash Featured By Owner Jun 29, 2011  Professional Digital Artist
Mechanical pencils are too thick? What, do you draw on postage-stamp sized images with a magnifying glass? Loosen up and draw bigger, grab a wooden pencil and address the paper with the side of the point instead of the tip, get your whole arm into it. Unless you like the idea of future you having carpal tunnel issues, in which case go get yourself a #000 Rapidiograph pen and go wild.

Me, I carry a mechanical pencil in my kit for when I want to do little doodles, but I won't go smaller than a .5mm. I used to have a clutch pencil in a drafting kit I inherited from my father, and it was interesting but it was a lot less convenient than a mechanical - you gotta carry around the crazy sharpener, which gets filled with super-fine graphite dust that can make a ginormous mess.
:icondebit:
Debit Featured By Owner Jun 29, 2011  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
I have been using 0.5 and 0.7mm mechanical pencils for quite some time. I use them for work, school, and drawing. In case of drawing, I use them only to make light outlines which will be coverd with either ink or paint later on. I like using them mainly due to convenience -- I can use them for just about everything plus they do not require pencil sharpner.
:icon135711cal:
135711cal Featured By Owner Jun 28, 2011
I will use either, but I prefer mechanical. I like the 0.7 anything finer and I break it.
:iconnarutokunobessed:
narutokunobessed Featured By Owner Jun 26, 2011  Student General Artist
Wow Ive acatually never heard of clutch pencils. Although it looks just about the same as a wodden pencil pretty much. Its looks pretty classier though.

ive only used mechanical but i find them too thick
Then you been using the wrong lead sizes or pressing too hard, cause there are many sizes of mechanical. What my friend does to make it even pointier, she gets another piece of paper and rubs it on paper to make it a slant on top.
Kind of like this pic only pointier. See the slant and the top? That is the point you want to make, but a little sharper then that.
[link]
:iconafrican-artist:
african-artist Featured By Owner Jun 25, 2011  Professional Traditional Artist
I love wooden pencils. With a passion. They just feel more natural and comfortable in my hand, and you can see your uh... usage by the way they go down? I don't know, I think it's a measure of pride when I use up a particular pencil and have to start with a new one.
:icongriffingirl:
Griffingirl Featured By Owner Jun 25, 2011
I use a mixture of both.It just what I have at the time. If I find a good brand of wooden pencil I use it like crazy. I find their lines easier to erase. I am still unsure what I feel is better.
:iconkevari:
Kevari Featured By Owner Jun 25, 2011  Hobbyist General Artist
.5 mechanical because I get really annoyed really fast by pencils. I HATE sharpening them, especially the ones that break all the time.
Add a Comment: