Closed to new replies
June 16, 2011
Link

Statistics

Replies: 152

What do people like in art?

:iconmeduteja:
Meduteja Featured By Owner Jun 16, 2011  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I drew a picture that got over 300 favs but I don't even like it that much. :( And when I draw something and I think it's an "O.K" picture then it's not popular. XDD I'm not complaining!And it's not like I'm here to be "popular" or "famous". but I just don't understand what people like sometimes.So,what do you like to see in pictures?Bright colors/pastel colors,interesting pose/no pose at all, etc..? :)

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconoperaghost:
operaghost Featured By Owner Jul 2, 2011  Professional
I cannot say what I like as sometimes I just ... like. And while being 'good at arts according some code' resulted me to have good feedback from tutors and people, but it wasn't me. So I rather have 0 favs, no support from tutors as long as the things I do is 'me'. So from others work I see that "them" - atmosphere and something distinctive.

You never can explain why you like something. I.e. when you look my "page" and my 'fave' to introduce my gallery is a photo made after i placed camera on floor to tie a shoelace. And then someone offered me handful of cash to buy it out. Its a failshot, yet it's been offered such amount of euros that I found it be crime. And then i have there a work I spent hours, hours and more hours to work on and eventually i was told its worse drawing i ever done.

I stopped thinking about others, people and just do my thing. Even when its just a scribble, stick figure or something outside the mainstream. Art's something you do to express yourself and not everyone needs to like your "opinion". :)

Mind my english spelling :)
Meduteja Featured By Owner Jul 2, 2011  Hobbyist Digital Artist
That's a very good attitude. :) You're right,you should draw what you want to not what others want to see.

P.s Your english is great :aww:
There's reason i still seek my style as I spent around 10 years on art classes and under hand of quite known (local) tutors and it took LONG time to understand that I don't 'speak' for myself. Lucky are artists who start off more independent and maintain their line.. even when it is, as i said, stick figures. :)
I love stickfigures! xD They're really fun to draw. :)
Me too. And it is harder to tell story in few lines than make realistic full colour portarait ;)
So true! :la:
:iconbolsterstone:
bolsterstone Featured By Owner Jul 2, 2011   General Artist
300 favs? Must've been another account. ;-) Anyway on dA -- it's basically kitsch, pop culture and stuff that appeals to the (uh) baser instincts that get views.

So, don't worry too much about popularity. The unspoken rule at dA is that the popular get more popular and the rest, well, just muddle along. For example, last month, I did a random survey of the Daily Deviations for over four days. 60% of those who received DDs on those days already had one. (And, some had 3 previously.) The remaining 40% who received Daily Deviations on those days had none previously.

BTW, keep up the good work. You do have a neat gallery. (Some of my students would be jealous of your artwork.)
What do you mean "another account"? ^^;

Yea that's kind of sad..I mean,a lot of other people deserve DD's too,but they usually get unnoticed..And the daily deviations aren't always that good,either... :)

Thank you very much! ^_^ You teach? :)
Some people have more than one account/name on dA. (Didn't find your multi-fav'd artwork.)
As for teaching, the answer is yes: at a secondary school and at a local gallery.
It's [link]

And wow! o.O Is it fun? :)
Ah - nicely done! I can see why it worked. The picture probably got all those favs for three reasons.

First, it's very sentimental (i.e., it triggers the emotions which cause people to go "aw!" :iconawwwplz: ).

Second, it uses a prop which people identify with (i.e., the cat). In other words, it gives the picture a story - however simple. (Look for example at your "I finally drew something" pic. It is getting views for the same reason.)

Three, it was featured on a bunch of groups. (Groups tend to cause a snowballing effect. People will sometimes fav what their friends have fav'd -- especially if they are anime lovers.)

And, as for the teaching - yes, it is fun. Especially when you have good students. :D
Heh thank you for the information! :la: Now I understand why. XD :la: yay!

Yea,teaching sounds fun.Unless your students are little devils... XD
Yes, indeed. :lol:
:icong00p:
g00p Featured By Owner Jun 30, 2011  Hobbyist General Artist
personality & passion.
Meduteja Featured By Owner Jun 30, 2011  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Thanks for the comment. :)
:icong00p:
g00p Featured By Owner Jul 1, 2011  Hobbyist General Artist
Np! :)
:iconyokoshiro:
Yokoshiro Featured By Owner Jun 30, 2011  Student
Weird.. I kinda got that too. Some works when I thought I did my best but it wasn't as popular as my quick sketches ones.
Yep,same here. :)
:iconzot-sindi:
Zot-Sindi Featured By Owner Jun 30, 2011
lemme think...

what do *people* like?

perfection
being "wow'ed!!"
being "impressed"
improvement obsession
perfection
anime
perfect lineart
being perfect
"pro artists"
constant obsess with "improving"
"WOW!!!" factor
oh did i say perfection? how about improving?

i mean, at this point i've begun to think of art as utterly worthless to anyone but the artist, and even then in most cases, seems all anyone wants to see is the technical bare-bones "skill" side of it... which kind of defeats the purpose of art.... no one cares about ideas or passion... unless you draw anime that is
:iconpinklilychan:
pinklilychan Featured By Owner Jun 29, 2011
I've found that some popular artist use bright colors. I personally like using candy like colors and love seeing them.

And it always seems to be the thing, isn't it? You dont' like something of yours and everyone is like "but we love it!". Use to laugh when my friends use to get upset when I scraped a piece because I didn't think it was good enough XD

But if you're looking to do popular, anime/manga fan-art, bright colors, furry, or even goth seem to be the most popular stuff. There you just reach more people overall.
Yeah I like bright colors,too. :)

Ikr,it happens all the time. >_> :D
:iconjeeshwa123:
Jeeshwa123 Featured By Owner Jun 29, 2011   General Artist
DA LIKES:
fan-art
anime
fan-art
bleach
fan-art
furries
fan-art
anime
and fan-art. xD
so just go ahead and do that.
Meduteja Featured By Owner Jun 29, 2011  Hobbyist Digital Artist
You forgot to mention boobs and naked chicks :F And Yaoi.
:iconnickomoknu272:
NickoMoknu272 Featured By Owner Jul 2, 2011
You fergot to mention... oh no it's there Yaoi! Damn yaoi fangirls . Damn you i know it's "love" as if but still stop making yaoi out fo everything >.>
:D Just because I don't like yaoi it doesn't mean that I have something against people that like it. :)
:iconjeeshwa123:
Jeeshwa123 Featured By Owner Jun 29, 2011   General Artist
and artistic nudes. ;D lol
Yeh XD
:iconnightwolf247:
Nightwolf247 Featured By Owner Jun 29, 2011  Hobbyist General Artist
all i can say is that art is very subjective, what one person likes another person might not like........
That's true! :)
:icongriffingirl:
Griffingirl Featured By Owner Jun 25, 2011
I understand your frustration! I always feel that I have to draw a bunch of fan art or like boobs to get noticed.

But I realized, if you do what you like you'll get the following you want. Find groups to promote to similar art tastes. I'm sure your art will take off in no time!
Meduteja Featured By Owner Jun 25, 2011  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Ikr D: I've seen this guy who used to be really unknown but when he started to draw huge boobs someone actually started faving his "art". :rofl:
:icongriffingirl:
Griffingirl Featured By Owner Jun 25, 2011
It totally works! Its really kind of sad....and annoying
:iconry-nee:
Ry-nee Featured By Owner Jun 25, 2011
I'm not sure what people like :XD: I wonder that too. But I just like any type of art :) Usually original stuff.
Meduteja Featured By Owner Jun 25, 2011  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Me too! :)
:icontarenmorse:
TarenMorse Featured By Owner Jun 21, 2011  Student General Artist
I like awesome art. Concept art being a good example. I usually look for lots of depth, great composition, demanding colors, fluid movement, a good story, originality, and makes your eyes wide with hunger.
Meduteja Featured By Owner Jun 21, 2011  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I see! :) Thank you for the comment! :hug:
:iconnarutokunobessed:
narutokunobessed Featured By Owner Jun 21, 2011  Student General Artist
Although if your really wanna follow the trend, just find things that are trending, and what everyone is talking about. Thats what people like.

I think you should focus a bit less on what people like and only do what you like to do majoraly of the time. You are not likely to get people to like the same thing you like so, might as well save the trouble. If you want to gain more popularity on you, do works that you find along the way. Like the author of scott pilgrim says, just work for it.

Of course, having a balance of most art principles in place or break em so well that in either form its all compositionally sound. Usually the placement will have some sort of purpose so thats what makes composition important.
Hahah. xD Well as I already mentioned in the forum post - I'm not complaining.I just want to know what people like in art. :)
:iconribbedebie:
Ribbedebie Featured By Owner Jun 21, 2011  Hobbyist General Artist
For me it's like this...
First comes effort. I like an image better if someone did their best at a drawing.

Second comes the subject. Of course, I'm bound to like a drawing of a skunk better than a drawing of a wolf, seeing as skunks are my favourite animals.

Third comes originality, this is becoming a bit hard to find when searching for fan art of stuff I like. I prefer original and/or dynamic poses over stiff and/or referenced ones. While I by no means try to put down referencing, I prefer looking at the artist's own style, instead of the creator's.

And last comes colour. I am a sucker for colour, and I adore bright colours! Good colour combinations can also play a part in how much I like a picture.
Thank you for the comment! :)
:iconzetikla:
Zetikla Featured By Owner Jun 20, 2011  Student Writer
Well, it depnesd from the type of work. For example, if we talk about a comic for example, the important thing is apart the story is that the drawings should be good.
Meduteja Featured By Owner Jun 20, 2011  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I see! :) Thanks for the comment!
:iconzetikla:
Zetikla Featured By Owner Jun 21, 2011  Student Writer
You're welcome as always :)
:iconkit-kat-ari:
kit-kat-ari Featured By Owner Jun 20, 2011  Student Digital Artist
I love me some good composition. I'm terrible at it myself, soooo 8D
Yeah I hate that. D:
:iconkenzyrose:
KenzyRose Featured By Owner Jun 20, 2011  Student Digital Artist
In all honesty I like blood. :D
But I also like bright colors, and the basic "idea" of the art. :meow:
Blood?Nice :D
:icontalkvisa1:
talkvisa1 Featured By Owner Jun 20, 2011
basically art is the science methodology based art & fine art is another things
Hmm I'm not sure I understand you. :)
:iconartnine:
ArtNine Featured By Owner Jun 19, 2011
The largest factors for me are new possibilities or strong emotional art. I always want to see something different that goes against the norm.
Add a Comment: