Closed to new replies
August 5, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 4

Switching from traditional oil painting to digital comic

:iconsarabathroomaround:
sarabathroomaround Featured By Owner Aug 5, 2013  Professional General Artist
I have been traditionally painting for years but just bought my tablet last december. In addition I have been trying to learn to do more comic-geared character design rather than do realistic portraits.

Here is my traditional style:

Here's what I have been developing:

And when I made an attempt to morph the two:

These are all really strong drawing examples, there are a lot of sloppy attempts backing them and that's what I need help with. consistency.

here is a weird portrait situation
here is a choppy color situation
here is some depth issues
here is one of 3 or 4 faces I somehow fall into when trying to design a character

I don't know where I'm going with this exactly, thanks for stickin' with me here. :P
I was just wondering if any of you fine folks had some tips on any noticed problem areas.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

sarabathroomaround Featured By Owner Aug 6, 2013  Professional General Artist
What about good exercises for practicing point of light? I'm a little all over the place in that department.
:iconfngrscr8dstroui:
fngrscr8dstroui Featured By Owner Aug 6, 2013  Professional General Artist
  Do you have an artist or group of artists whose styles really speak to you?  What thematics would you like to emphasize aesthetically in your works?  What parts of the body or elements of backgrounds do you obsess over in detail?  Those are good starting guide points.

Just pick up a pencil or pen and let some loose lines come together, but keep all that stuff in mind.  It'll get you somewhere, eventually.
:iconendless-ness:
Endless-Ness Featured By Owner Aug 5, 2013  Student Filmographer
Your main problem is the transition to a different style. You have done well with realistic, and now you're trying to stylize things into a more cartoony look, with inconsistent results. I would suggest looking at the work of other artists.

For example, pick 20 artists with each a very different style you like, and reproduce one of their pieces (you should keep these excercises to yourself though since you don't have copyrights). It will let your hand try different things. Maybe you'll find you like this way of drawing noses, and that kind of line thickness, and those kinds of proportions.

It's important though not to stick too closely to any one artist in particular. When you copy someone's style, you end up being "like that guy, except not quite as good" which is never good... Instead try to make your own style, by finding out what you like to draw from many different sources of inspiration.
sarabathroomaround Featured By Owner Aug 5, 2013  Professional General Artist
Thank you! I'll give it a try.
Add a Comment: