Shop More Submit  Join Login

Details

Closed to new replies
July 19, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 41

How to get clean, thin , lineart in SAI?

:iconmirrorkey:
MirrorKey Featured By Owner Jul 19, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
So my lineart is pretty thick. I want to make it thinner and cleaner, but whenever I use the lineart tool, it just looks pixely. My drawings are done on a 5000x5000 canvas at 75 ppi. I use a wacom bamboo capture. Do you have any tips?

Devious Comments

:iconyuinori:
Yuinori Featured By Owner Jul 23, 2013  Student Digital Artist
Use a canvas of 3000x3000 with a brush that is 1.0 in size. Make sure you use the brush tool - on the side note if you don't have a tablet that might explain?-
MirrorKey Featured By Owner Jul 23, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I wrote that i have a tablet ^^; :D But I tried that, and my lineart looks pixely
:iconyuinori:
Yuinori Featured By Owner Jul 23, 2013  Student Digital Artist
Anything could happen like you broke you tablet.  What tool do you use?
MirrorKey Featured By Owner Jul 23, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I use the lineart tool
:iconbolsterstone:
bolsterstone Featured By Owner Jul 22, 2013   General Artist
Just re-read what you wrote, and I noticed that you did say that you used the lineart tool.  So, I had to re-think my answer.  Line art will always look pixelled when you zoom in.  I think you might be worrying a little too much about it.
MirrorKey Featured By Owner Jul 22, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
If you say so ^^
:iconbolsterstone:
bolsterstone Featured By Owner Jul 22, 2013   General Artist
Have you tried using the vector drawing tool in Sai yet?  It really helps to clean up the line art.  Yes, it means going over your lines again after you drew them, but it also means that you get a chance to improve your hand-eye coordination. ;-)
:iconcujjo:
Cujjo Featured By Owner Jul 22, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Hello!

My best advice for lineart is to try different tools until you find one that suits you. As for me, I realized that when I used brown instead of black when doing my lineart, it went much better. It sounds strange, but I guess that everyone finds their tricks with time.

However, if you have Skype, I could sit down with you and chat for a while - Showing some things that I have learned. Maybe you will find something useful. Please just send me a note if you are interested.

Good luck anyway! Best way of improving is practicing!
MirrorKey Featured By Owner Jul 22, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
You're right, maybe the lineart tool is overrated :D
:iconused-rugs:
used-rugs Featured By Owner Jul 21, 2013   General Artist
Are you using photoshop? SAI is better for lineart, and also i would recomment drawing by hand, as it's usually smoother and looks more natural and nicer (at least in my opinion)

Theres a .7px brush on sai, and i can get thin and super small details in with a canvas half your size, so if you're not usuing already, i really recommend it. 

Also, just something i realize (or maybe its a result from my paranoia) on photoshop (more often than sai), if you save, close and open it a lot, random 'dirt' pixels will show up (well it usually is just one random pixel that floats in random space, but it bothers me), so either keeping it open, or drawing lineart all in one go is probably better if you want REALLY clean lineart. 
Add a Comment: