Shop More Submit  Join Login

Details

Closed to new replies
February 24, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 8

Digital Art: Eye Health and other problems...

:iconkrisboo9:
Krisboo9 Featured By Owner Feb 24, 2013  Student Digital Artist
Hello fellow deviants.

Well i created this thread to ask/gather opinions related to avoiding Health problems when you spend hours a day drawing or painting in front of the computer...

For example, Which measures de you take regarding the Screen light when working on an Art software?

- How many hours you spend regularly when working on a picture?
- Do you suffer from any health problem after working with the Digital Media?

I'm mostly asking this because i'm quite new to this medium, i really like it and can spend hours on it but i've been noticing(i guess it's normal)eye exhaustion and neck aches (probably related to posture). So any help or advice, experience or comments would be greatly apreciated. I just want to avoid losing eyesight or anything at this pace/with this routine...

Thanks in advance.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconmisaera:
misaera Featured By Owner Feb 25, 2013  Student Digital Artist
I spend about 6 hours a day drawing in front of a computer and 1 or 2 hours playing video games. I tend to forget to take a break, so yes, I got the occasional back ache, and my eyesight dropped a bit. Haven't experienced pains on wrist or neck or any other parts though.
:iconrynkadraws:
RynkaDraws Featured By Owner Feb 25, 2013  Student Digital Artist
Most of my day is spent in front of a computer. I don't get any aches nor wrist pains myself because I sort of got used to working in a way that avoids their cause.

To avoid problems I'd recommend not working on the same piece more than 2 hours, switch up, do other things, let your eyes adjust.
It also helps to set the screen brightness about halfway down the scale - a bit higher than what reading lighting should be.
For the wrists, exercise and stretch. Same as an athlete needing warmups, the artists needs to control his tool - his main hand - well.
Also, set the tablet sensitivity lower, so that barely touching gives you solid lines, and you don't need to press hard to get a result.

Hope this helps.
:iconravendark82:
ravendark82 Featured By Owner Feb 25, 2013  Professional Digital Artist
I work for nine hours a day in front of the computer at work and sometimes several more hours an evening.

I used to get wrist pain and eye strain. I set up my desk differently and got a wrist pad and that helped with my wrist. I actually had to start sleeping differently as well, because I was sleeping with my wrists curled in at night and it was aggravating the inflammation. For the eye strain I moved my monitors farther away from my seat and it has helped immensely. I also try to get away from my desk each hour.
:iconpuppy-dangerous:
puppy-dangerous Featured By Owner Feb 25, 2013  Professional Artisan Crafter
I work...however long I feel like. Sometimes half an hour, sometimes 8 hours. I do take a break every 20 minutes or so to at least stretch, usually get up to walk around a bit.

If the light around the computer is bad I get eyestrain, otherwise I seem to be pretty good as far as that goes. If I don't move around enough my shoulders start to hurt.
:iconultralithematic:
UltraLiThematic Featured By Owner Feb 24, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
When I am doing digital work I work at minimum screenlight or really low. Depending on the computer.
I spend some hours when drawing, from 4 hours to some days.
As for health problems. I get tired sometimes. I do have wrist pain caused by bad position of hand while drawing.
:iconvineris:
Vineris Featured By Owner Feb 24, 2013  Professional Traditional Artist
I've been working with computers for 12+ hours a day for years, and my eyes are no worse than they ever were. And the only blind computer programmer I know started out that way. On the other back and wrist pain is pretty much constant. Take a break at least once an hour to stretch your back, neck and hands.
:iconself-epidemic:
Self-Epidemic Featured By Owner Feb 24, 2013  Professional Digital Artist
A piece of art work - Hm, anything from 0 - several weeks.
Ehm, not really, I use F.Lux for when I sketch and draw in the evenings and I think I'm just used to it.
:iconbleachrocks2010:
bleachrocks2010 Featured By Owner Feb 24, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Eye exhaustion and neck aches are normal when doing digital or traditional art. I normally work on a piece for about 10-1 hours at a time and less if Em busy that day or too lazy to work on it. Only advice I have s tilt you head to the side for 20 seconds and then do the same with the other side, sit further away from the screen and if you were glasses try and get ultraclear for them as that helps reduce headaches and stuff. Also take a 10 minutes break every hour.
Add a Comment: