Shop Mobile More Submit  Join Login

Details

Closed to new replies
February 21, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 39

I read somewhere that Adobe released older versions of Photoshop for free download(Legally) True?

:iconsketchman1981:
sketchman1981 Featured By Owner Feb 21, 2013  Hobbyist Artist
I'm just starting back into my art and moving into the digital realm. I've used photoshop in the past, but it's been years. Currently using Corel Painter 12, but it's taking some time getting used to. And I feel like so many of the painter features are wasted on a non painter. the realistic painting effects are useless to me at this point since I don't know thing one about painting. I typically used digital airbrushes or simple color brushes on the early Photoshops. I've seen some amazing work done with both Painter 12 and PHotoshop CS series. Though Photoshop has a lot more tutorials and community help.

For a background, I'm mostly a comic artist/illustrator. I'm looking to improve my color work, and would like to eventually get into painting highly detailed stylized realism work. If it's true that Adobe released earlier versions of the creative suites for free I'd love to start there and then upgrade later when I'm actually getting familiar with it.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconcindykbaker:
CindyKBaker Featured By Owner Feb 25, 2013
Get the free versions from the adobe download site. CS2 or Elements 5. I got mine for free.
:icondanidoodles7:
danidoodles7 Featured By Owner Feb 26, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
ooh! where do i find a link for that? i would like to download it :)
sketchman1981 Featured By Owner Feb 25, 2013  Hobbyist Artist
Yeah. I'm just not sure that CS2 would benefit me any compared to Corel Painter 12. Painter works great, and I'm not doing any photo editing. If I can, I'm going to try and get masterful at Painter, at least within my style.
:iconshardel:
Shardel Featured By Owner Feb 23, 2013
If you interested, i have a photoshop cs5 that i can sell to you for $100....just note me if your interested.
sketchman1981 Featured By Owner Feb 23, 2013  Hobbyist Artist
how would you sell it? Is it a legit copy? I don't think that you can re-sell software once you've registered it. Not sure.
:iconshardel:
Shardel Featured By Owner Feb 24, 2013
sent you a note
:iconnarutokunobessed:
narutokunobessed Featured By Owner Feb 23, 2013  Student General Artist
Since you don't know about painting, learn it. You got a library and the interenet, both free and strong resources. It is not a requirement to go to school for art. If you can learn how to observe well, by reading and looking at resources, then you can draw.

School is resources pretty much. The teacher gives you the resources to learn which you paid for, and then you do the same thing. The teacher doesn't do all the work, you make up by working hard for the teacher, and what you can get out of the class.

Im in art school, and its pretty much like your paying for American idol Audition. In each grading project compare to Idol's singing, they coach you and give you pieces of advice, though with an added lecture on how to perform. Then you audition for the teacher. The teacher then grades your performance, based on the finished work.

But by all means, surrounded by an art community, plus teacher, aiming to improve your current skills, being active, portfolio, a ton of resources, and aiming high to get a job is a good reason for art school. If its only for a degree, then you shouldn't attend. You can get cheaper degrees at your local college, or could just buff your porfolio.

Also Make sure you use the reply button, or people won't get to you.
sketchman1981 Featured By Owner Feb 23, 2013  Hobbyist Artist
I have been using the reply button unless it's not specifically targeting one reply. And I agree, I've been self taught for the most part, but like you said School is great for targeting jobs and having that extra coaching during the learning process.
:iconnarutokunobessed:
narutokunobessed Featured By Owner Feb 24, 2013  Student General Artist
Its pretty much still resposibility. You have to be responsible to get what you need.

I think too many people wasted money on art school, because of lack of responsibility.
sketchman1981 Featured By Owner Feb 25, 2013  Hobbyist Artist
True. Unfortunately I'm probably going to be continuing as an Aircraft Mechanic for a bit longer. Running out of money and I have an interview on Wednesday for a job. Was hoping while in between jobs that I could get back into school, but not sure that's going to happen
sketchman1981 Featured By Owner Feb 22, 2013  Hobbyist Artist
ok, check this site out....[link]

If you're a student it has the CS6 creative cloud available for $19.00/month Also, the Intuos 5 medium tablet is around $50.00 off normal. Half tempted to sign up for a class just so I can buy the stuff cheaper lol
:iconemark4:
emark4 Featured By Owner Feb 22, 2013
I really wish I could buy photoshop and illustartor but the cost is driving me to gimp and possibly the older versions of these programs, if they are really avaliable legally.
Yeah, Photoshop is a great program. I fully understand why they charge so much, Specially for Career artists and designers it'll pay for it self. Though for an amateur or hobiest it's way over priced. I'm working on becoming a career artist so I don't mind paying for it, I just don't have the excess money to buy CS6 right now. Still using my Bamboo tablet, and I bought Corel Painter 12 when it was on sale on newegg.com got it for like $200

if you haven't already tried it do what I'm going to do and do the CS6 trial, if you like it enough and can afford the monthly fee you can get a single program like photoshop for around $20-30/month. Another option is to buy an older version. I have found CS5 Photoshop for around $350, and CS5 designer(photoshop, illustrator, so on for like $575
:iconemark4:
emark4 Featured By Owner Feb 22, 2013
Sadly, none of these options isn't financially good for me. Sure having a subscription for the student mode is there but financially, it would be expensive for me to fund anyway. Its all driving me to use GIMP. I may consider the older versions of photoshop

Perhaps if I have steady employment and good money coming in I may consider it but now, I am just a mere college student trying to make a living in the future.
:iconamprosoft:
AMProSoft Featured By Owner Feb 25, 2013   General Artist
My recommendation is watch a bunch of Caleb Thomas' tutorials [link] and then use GIMP for now. It really can do quite a lot.
I understand, I've been there. Right now I have money coming in, just not like I used to so I'm trying to be cautious on what I spend. I have a few commissions right now but I'm just getting started again. I Won't likely start getting any big jobs for awhile
Ah. Yeah. I'll just keep using painter 12 and maybe gimp on the the side. Painter is a great software and I have seen so many great pieces done with it I just need to learn the tools better. AS for Photoshop like I said before I'll just do the trial of CS6 and see how I like it. If I like it enough than I'll probably just try out the creative cloud service till I decide it's either worth buying or that I don't like it enough to pay for it.
:iconpuppy-dangerous:
puppy-dangerous Featured By Owner Feb 22, 2013  Professional Artisan Crafter
I swear we need an official sticky about this.

CS2 IS AVAILABLE FOR FREE DOWNLOAD FROM THE ADOBE SITE. [link]

However they do not support it anymore and it may not run on newer computers.

So basically you can get it free from them, but if you have issues that's on you.
:iconfriendlyhand:
FriendlyHand Featured By Owner Feb 23, 2013  Professional Digital Artist
According to Adobe, the serial numbers "should only be used by customers who legitimately purchased CS2 or Acrobat 7 and need to maintain their current use of these products. "
:iconpuppy-dangerous:
puppy-dangerous Featured By Owner Feb 23, 2013  Professional Artisan Crafter
Yeah, I know that's what they say-but they're sitting there to be downloaded by anybody with no requirement of proof of prior purchase. I really don't think they're so ignorant they believe people won't just download it for first time use.

I'm glad they have it there. This morning it died on the studio computer and rather than hunt up the cd (haha, good luck finding that after all these years) I just grabbed it from there and reinstalled.
:iconsynchronetta:
synchronetta Featured By Owner Feb 21, 2013  Student Digital Artist
CS2 is free to download although there's a disclaimer that it is intended to be used for those who had previously owned CS2. They provide the security keys and the program to download though -- so as a result many people who are against acquiring Photoshop through other means see this as a legitimate way.

In short, it was not intended to be given to anyone and everyone -- but yes, Adobe had provided those programs to download for free.
Interesting. Do you know where it is available? I know on their site I seen something about them releasing the source codes, but I think that's for one of the original versions
:iconsynchronetta:
synchronetta Featured By Owner Feb 21, 2013  Student Digital Artist
[link]

They have many other programs too. Explanation:

Adobe has disabled the activation server for CS2 products, including Acrobat 7, because of a technical issue. These products were released more than seven years ago, do not run on many modern operating systems, and are no longer supported.

Adobe strongly advises against running unsupported and outdated software. The serial numbers below should only be used by customers who legitimately purchased CS2 or Acrobat 7 and need to maintain their current use of these products.
:iconultimamage578:
UltimaMage578 Featured By Owner Feb 21, 2013
Nope. Not actually. And this has already been talked about.

In short, I think it's only free for people who meet certain requirements. While yes, it is free under these conditions, I find it rather morally wrong for some reason despite the fact I would probably pirate the newer versions.

But quite considerably, they are so old, all the free alternatives are better, like GIMP and such.

I can't work with GIMP myself. The pen tool work too differently from what I used at school (we had a CS5? Adobe Illustrator in my classes) so I don't like GIMP. But it is what everyone prefers to use, if they don't want/feel like pirating software.
I have used pirated versions when I was younger, but trying to stay professional since I'm planning on turning this into more of a career. I've always done commissions off and on over the years. Though I've never taken it really seriously. I'm now taking the steps to really improve my skills and start doing this as a living. I'm self taught other than a few art classes in middle school and highschool. Other than personal studies on my own I'm looking into getting into some classes to truly advance.
UltimaMage578 Featured By Owner Feb 22, 2013
Um... I'm not going to lie. It's isn't the tools. It is the artist using them. Many have made beautiful works and commissions using GIMP.

Plus GIMP is really free, and you could work with it until you could afford illustrator or photohop.
:iconunartistic-license:
Unartistic-License Featured By Owner Feb 26, 2013  Student General Artist
Yes, that is 100% true, but having familiarity with industry standard software is important too.
yeah. Personally I'd love to get cs5 or CS6, but currently I'm limited on funds. Specially, I can't afford to buy CS6 $600+? I'd go for the student version, but don't think that counts just because I'm an amateur lol. I'd really like to go to art school. AI tried to get me to go there, but I couldn't justify $80,000 for a degree that would get me $29,000/year....As an Aircraft mechanic I average 60-100,000.00 Though I'm so sick of not following my art.
UltimaMage578 Featured By Owner Feb 22, 2013
Honey, none of us can justify going to college. My college just raised tuition fees again, and I'm about eyeball deep in debt. I have to pay for my tuition with credit cards because my financial aid doesn't come in fast enough. Trust me, college makes you mentally unstable as it is.

Plus I'm not sure, but you don't have to go to an art school to become an artist. That is more of a decision of the self. There's that and I'm sure there are many artists who make a living without a degree.
:iconnokari:
nokari Featured By Owner Feb 21, 2013
There's a subscription option for CS6 where you pay a monthly or yearly price instead of the full $699/$999. The upside is you only pay as long as you need it. The downside is that you can only use it for as long as you pay.
Agreed. It's beneficial it gives you unlimited updates as they develop new versions. Though, if you're like me small time, I likely could get away with using OLDER versions. So it would make more sense to buy it and just keep using it for years.
:iconnokari:
nokari Featured By Owner Feb 21, 2013
Check Craigslist. Occasionally people try to sell older versions of PS there. I sold my CS4 Design Premium Suite a few years ago for $400.
I'll have to find the link I posted before. I found a site selling discounted software. They have CS5 Design premium for like $575.00 I just don't have the extra money right now. I'm in between jobs, and until my art starts paying extra I can't justify spending that money. I think I'll try the 30 day trial, do my best to get used to it in that time and if it works well enough to switch from Painter then I'll do the monthly subscription till I can afford to buy it. I have a TON of studying to do to get efficient at digital painting though. Planning to try out my hand at a Picture for the tomb raider challenge. Worth a shot.
:iconwedge-the-hedge:
Wedge-The-Hedge Featured By Owner Feb 21, 2013
I think they have a thing though where you pay like $20 a month for CS6, I could be wrong though. I remember someone mentioning that to me once.
In fact they have a plan where you can pay like $50/month and it'll give you access to EVERY software they have. Called the "Creative cloud" Though I don't think I'd use most of it at this point.
Oh damn! Really? That's pretty badass. lol
You're right. I'm considering this option for sure. Though I'm still debating on if it's work paying for Photoshop when I already have Corel Painter 12
Maybe try the 30 day trial and see which one you think is best for you?
I'll definitely be trying out the 30 day trial version. I just downloaded Gimp tonight to check it out, but I'm not very impressed so far. From what I've seen the Painter 12 program I have would do more than gimp does easy. Photoshop is a great software, you're right though, I need to try the trial and compare them since I haven't used photoshop since 7.0 before the CS series.
Add a Comment: