Deviant Login Shop  Join deviantART for FREE Take the Tour

Details

Closed to new replies
February 20, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 13

Wanting to get into Digital Art, but I need some help!

:iconkatcantdance:
KatCantDance Featured By Owner Feb 20, 2013  Student Digital Artist
I am just dying to get into digital art and broaden my horizons away from photography, traditional, and makeup art, but I don't have much money to buy professional programs. Are their any cheap (preferably free) programs that are user friendly and could help introduce me to digital art?

I have a Toshiba Satellite with Windows 8 and an iPhone. Is anything compatible with these?

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

KatCantDance Featured By Owner Feb 24, 2013  Student Digital Artist
Can someone include the link for paint tool sai, so I don't download a virus by accident?
:iconshardel:
Shardel Featured By Owner Feb 20, 2013
Well if your interested, i have a CS5 photoshop program that i can give to you..YES GIVE TO YOU.... if you are interested, just note me. I have CS6 creative suite 6 design and web premium and the cs5 photoshop is kinda just sitting there doing nothing, so i don't mind helping you out and i know how expensive top programs of these cost and so i don't mind giving this away to some who can't afford it.
:iconmeganparkes:
meganparkes Featured By Owner Feb 20, 2013   Digital Artist
You can get photoshop on a trial bases which lets you use it for 30 days. Thats what i did and i loved it so much i bought the full version!

If you download the trial (from adobes official site) you can play around with for a month completely free! Then if you find yourself really loving photoshop you should invest in a tablet (i got a restored one from ebay for £20, so they can be pretty cheap).

hope that's helpful :)
:iconshininginthedarkness:
I really love SAI. The full version costs about $50. Obviously try both GIMP and the SAI trial before making a decision.
(But get GIMP anyway, it can do a few things SAI can't.)
KatCantDance Featured By Owner Feb 20, 2013  Student Digital Artist
I'm having a hard time understanding Gimp. Maybe I'm just impaired when it comes to art programs haha. Is there a manual online that can teach me how to create things?
:iconaliciane:
Aliciane Featured By Owner Feb 21, 2013  Professional Digital Artist
Gimp works pretty much like Photoshop, so if you have trouble with Gimp, there's a lot of chance you'll have trouble with Photoshop too, because the two of them are really huge, complete programs. In fact, in those two programs, if you only want to do digital painting, there are only a few tools that will be useful for you and you won't need to understand everything.

I know this tutorial about starting digital painting with Gimp [link]
The techniques are not the only ones you can use, but this should help you to test the tools, their settings, before finding your own technique.

And if you think you want to stick with Gimp (but I suggest you to try also Sai or Artrage), I suggest you to download the Gimp Paint Studio extension. It's a very cool extension that changes the interface to make it more comfortable, I just can't work without it now, as long as a lot of brushes and presets for digital painting, such as pencil brush, chalk brush, oil brush, leaf brush, well, everything you need =P
:iconaliciane:
Aliciane Featured By Owner Feb 21, 2013  Professional Digital Artist
Gimp works pretty much like Photoshop, so if you have trouble with Gimp, there's a lot of chance you'll have trouble with Photoshop too, because the two of them are really huge, complete programs. In fact, in those two programs, if you only want to do digital painting, there are only a few tools that will be useful for you and you won't need to understand everything.

I know this tutorial about starting digital painting with Gimp [link]
The techniques are not the only ones you can use, but this should help you to test the tools, their settings, before finding your own technique.

And if you think you want to stick with Gimp (but I suggest you to try also Sai or Artrage), I suggest you to download the Gimp Paint Studio extension. It's a very cool extension that changes the interface to make it more comfortable, I just can't work without it now, as long as a lot of brushes and presets for digital painting, such as pencil brush, chalk brush, oil brush, leaf brush, well, everything you need =P
:iconmetraxus:
Metraxus Featured By Owner Feb 20, 2013  Student Traditional Artist
there are also helpful tips on youtube btw. GIMP does take a bit of getting used to ;)
:iconshininginthedarkness:
GIMP is a bit hard to understand. It's not just you. It is not intuitive. If you look up in GIMP's toolbar there's a 'Help' function. This just takes you to an online tutorial, but it's better than nothing. There are further tutorials and tips & tricks here on dA, and you can always just google 'How do I do X in GIMP'.

SAI is much much easier to use despite the fact that not all of it is in English.
:iconcoo1cat:
Coo1Cat Featured By Owner Feb 20, 2013
photoshop cs5 and paint tool sai are avaiable to download for free! adobe released free versions of their programs (photoshop cs5 is an example) google has all the links.

i highly suggest you paint tool sai though, it can be "painterly" and still good to work with vectors. (though for this last one, photoshop is the best)
Add a Comment: