Closed to new replies
February 11, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 4

contracts which to use?

:iconskinnypenny:
Skinnypenny Featured By Owner Feb 11, 2013  Student Digital Artist
If, a person has brought my artwork that doesn't contain any pictures of famous celebs and then
later wants to sell my artwork for personal profit, use it for commercial use, or edit it???
Which contract or contracts do I use for a client of mines or a person to sign that would make it illegal for them
to sell or use my artwork commercially?

What if, my artwork contains a picture of a famous celebrity or famous celebs and I however, has a client or clients who brought that particular artwork and now later wants to sell that artwork for personal profit, use if for commercial use, or edit it. What legal contract or contracts do I use for that person or client to sign to make it illegal for them to sell or use the
artwork for commercial use??

Do they have contracts or a contract like that online that I could download for free and personalize and use
for my own use??

Please help??

Thank you!!

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconrynkadraws:
RynkaDraws Featured By Owner Feb 12, 2013  Student Digital Artist
Your questions were answered in the previous posts, but let me just give you some food for thought.
Those works, containing celebrities, did you actually buy rights to use and reproduce those photos?
Photos like that are usually taken by professionals, and as such, they'd usually stand for their rights on those photos if they ever see your works.
There are certain laws regarding what is called "derivative works", but as I'm not sure of the way they go exactly, it's up to you to check that out.
Know your right, but also your obligations :)
:iconpuppy-dangerous:
puppy-dangerous Featured By Owner Feb 11, 2013  Professional Artisan Crafter
You own copyright unless you sign it over to them. They can sell that ONE you gave them, but they can't sell it to be copied, or copy it and sell it.

If they do want those rights, then you need to decide how much to charge and exactly what they can use them for, write that down, and have everybody sign it.
:iconvineris:
Vineris Featured By Owner Feb 11, 2013  Professional Traditional Artist
Unless you signed a contract giving your rights over the picture to your client, it is already illegal for them to use your work commercially. You retain all copyright to your work, so they can't print it on t-shirts, or let another person use it without your permission, or edit it.

If you sold them a physical painting, though, they may sell the physical painting to another person or paint a mustache on it or destroy it. But they can't copy the image in any way.

So you don't need a contract, the copyright law already protects you, however you should probably inform your clients that you are retaining your rights.
:iconskinnypenny:
Skinnypenny Featured By Owner Feb 11, 2013  Student Digital Artist
Thanks! guys!
Add a Comment: