Closed to new replies
February 9, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 21

How do you layout your soon-to-be art?

:iconsucao:
Sucao Featured By Owner Feb 9, 2013
I use illustrator and it's perpective grid to lay out my artwork. It helps tremendously for the 2 point and 3 point perspective. Curious what everyone else uses and why.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:icondamaimikaz:
DamaiMikaz Featured By Owner Feb 15, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I just make a sketch with simple shapes on a small canvas. I might put in some rough black&white shading, to get a better view on how the composition works out.
:iconwezenbeesje:
wezenbeesje Featured By Owner Feb 14, 2013  Professional General Artist
I just start with simple shapes and if I like the composition I add the details.
:iconegypturnash:
egypturnash Featured By Owner Feb 11, 2013  Professional Digital Artist
1. Doodle figures in whatever action needs to be happening.
2. Rough out background composition to support/frame the figure.
3. Fake some perspective.

Or if the setting is the main point of the drawing, I'll rough that in first and fit whatever figures may need to be there into the perspective.

I use Illustrator all the time but I don't think I've ever touched its perspective grids. I'll draw stuff flat on and out it in perspective with a distortion mesh + free perspective transform d the mesh, though!
Sucao Featured By Owner Feb 14, 2013
Hahaha I think that 1-3 are the way that most people do it! Sorry for the late reply.
:icondanceswithdogs:
danceswithdogs Featured By Owner Feb 11, 2013   Digital Artist
The perspective grid method is very good when you learn how perspective works with the basic shapes.. You'll learn it fairly quickly by constructing the perspective a few times using the vanishing points.

With a little bit of practise, it's not difficult to use the perspective grids in figure drawing or backgrounds.

Unfortunately, many painting tools do not support them, but you can construct them fairly quickly by using 3d workstation software, such as Blender.

Of course, you could also construct the whole perspective setup using a 3d application, but that's a rather slow process.
Sucao Featured By Owner Feb 11, 2013
yes I agree that it can be a laborous process. I like the perspective grid in illustrator, but I understand that not everyone has that and it might not be for everyone. Thanks fot the comment danceswithdogs.
:iconachipps:
achipps Featured By Owner Feb 10, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I just use a small canvas in Photoshop.

I just draw what ever I imagine and it will look like a speed painting. I save my stuff in an Idea folder so I can look through later, and see what is best to bring to life.

I do my best to make it look like a photo, so people could think that everything I draw really exist. That is why I call it, bringing it to life.
:iconspudfuzz:
Spudfuzz Featured By Owner Feb 10, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I just use the typical construction method for figures then set up a vanishing point for a background.
Sucao Featured By Owner Feb 10, 2013
Do you use software or freehand for that? The trouble I found with free hand is that I can't reach beyond the limits of the paper, so it became a drag to measure everything out to vanishing points far off the page. (I am not good enough to eyeball it)
:iconspudfuzz:
Spudfuzz Featured By Owner Feb 10, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Software is always better in my opinion especially for environments. Even if it's architecture or nature, the world is going to look very straight on the horizon (or curved if it's higher up/ perspective), and as such the more accurate your guidelines are to the vanishing point, the more realistic your environment is going to be. I use sai to paint myself so I use it's "line" tool for this.
Add a Comment: