Closed to new replies
January 31, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 17

Comic book style dead?

:iconkainthebest:
kainthebest Jan 31, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I cannot get anyone to look at my work anymore. It is getting harder and harder to get views even the better I am getting at art. Deviant Art seems too saturated with meme art and anime for people to even care. This is just my thought. There are a lot of successful comic book style artist on deviant art but most are already well known professionals. This is just my thought does anyone else have any thoughts?

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconrhuni:
Rhuni Feb 2, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
You've had 103 comments. -.- There's your problem. You're drawing but you're not trying to put yourself out there. You need to communicate with people. You need to give not just take. I have been here for a year and a half and I've got 4,605 comments :/
kainthebest Feb 2, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Well thanks for the replies again. I do take everyone's opinions very seriously. Just in a few days after using some of your techniques for networking I have not only increased my watchers but started to expand my network.
:iconnarutokunobessed:
narutokunobessed Feb 2, 2013  Student General Artist
Comic book style dead?
This question is very extreme to ask, but the reality is that your competing with a billion of artist. You have to give a good reason and good work, why should we care? What is attractive about this comic?

2ndly your on DA, which is further narrowed to a general audience of anime fans, with a few exceptions. Your going to have to network alot and do more work then just get people to a deviant art page. Some professionals didn't have a DA, but just networked really hard, had connections and did more thing then just the internet. So some of them were popular before they joined Deviantart. This can also go with the last thing I said, why should we care?

3rdly, rejection is part of the artist life. You face alot of rejections and nos. You just have to be a bit more stubborn and not give up so easily.

Your art seem good. You just need to network alot more then just deviant art, and be a good promoter. Also just strive to improve more.

Also there really isn't comic style. Comics is the just word for sequential picture arrange in order.
:iconblack-allison:
Black-Allison Feb 1, 2013
How about you get off the internet? especially on a website that WE ALL KNOW has a big anime/manga fanbase.

Also no such thing as comic book style. Not all comics even have the same style and its an evolving art form.

Also you get commissions by being good and pro about things. Sometimes when people ask how do they get commissions, and they did all this and all that, and it didn't work, but the only thing they never mentioned they tried is plain drawing better.
:icon1sidedownand2up:
1sidedownand2up Jan 31, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I have the same issue though I mainly do fantasy art and occasional anthro piece. And yes DA has a lot of anime. I'm more active on the forum than posting comments on art though.
:iconfriendlyhand:
FriendlyHand Jan 31, 2013  Professional Digital Artist
Hi,

Sometimes we artists get distracted by issues that should be much lower on our list of priorities. I think your artistic focus would be better divided something like this:

75% on improving your artistic skills: [link]
20% on your ability to promote yourself effectively: [link]
5% on views, favs, & concern about the possible death of your preferred art style etc.
kainthebest Jan 31, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Thanks for the replies I have been trying to rebuild my DA page. I did not realize that the comments contributed much to anything. I think I have been going about it all wrong from the very beginning. My whole thought was, if I was better then people would look at my stuff but throughout the years that has proven to not workout so well.
:iconsachi-pon:
Sachi-pon Jan 31, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
you are using anime/meme art as a scapegoat. that is not to blame. i have seen many other people who are upset that their art doesn't get enough views and sometimes they blame other types of art, when it's actually their own fault they don't have views! i think the biggest reason you aren't getting enough views is that you only have 64 comments in 5 years. i've been here about the same time as you and i have almost 14,000 comments! and if you think that's a lot, i know a popular artist who has been here for 3 years and has over 30,000 comments! you have to network with people here and make a lot of friends with people with similar art styles as you. (but i don't mean, make fake "friendships" just to increase your own popularity. my da friendships are genuine =) ) and those well known professionals used to be just like you- unknown and looking at people more popular than they were. but they worked really hard (on both art and networking) to gain the success they have today. you can do it too!
:iconsynchronetta:
synchronetta Jan 31, 2013  Student Digital Artist
Something else, deviantArt is now geared more towards... anime-style for the most part. (Seems to be at least around 50%) It's not the best place to judge whether the style is dead or not. There are plenty of better places. =]
:iconsannamy:
sannamy Jan 31, 2013   General Artist
as everybody said... you have to be active... I donīt know... I'm in the same boat... I have no enought pageviews and there is alot of manga artist (no problem with that... manga style is popular this times) and crappy artist with billons of friends in the web (this ones are the ones that makes one get a little pissed).

try to promote more your artwork.. submit finished pieces and not just linearts (you have other thinks... yes... but there ir lots of linearts)... if you want to be recognogized... just make something that deserve it... In this place there are 2 options... "obtain a good billon of friends and do tons of fanart of ponies and popular animes" or just "learn to draw and paint better than Jim Lee" (if you choose the second and reach to that level I'll be the first in the line to complain)

^^ good luck, capitan. ^^
Add a Comment: