Closed to new replies
January 30, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 15

Macbook Pro Exclusively

:iconkeepitfresh1113:
Keepitfresh1113 Jan 30, 2013  Student Digital Artist
Just wondering, but how many of you, if any work exclusively on a Macbook Pro? I do, and I never really have a problem with lagging or anything of the sort. My pro is speced up so if anything its performs at the same level or higher than an iMac. Ive been doing digital painting for a little under two years now, but I dont do much commission based work or printing. I was just wondering if any of you work only on a pro and get pretty accurate result when printing and what not. I was recently offered the opportunity to grab an iMac at a nice rate, but the only thing I can see thus far as me gaining from it would be more screen real-estate and I cant justify a purchase off of just that. Thanks in advance!

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconladyviridis:
LadyViridis Feb 5, 2013  Professional General Artist
I'm not a fan of Macs. They're expensive, they're harder to fix, and I don't like the Mac interface. I also kind of resent the Apple culture that, once you own an Apple product, means you're going to be forced to use other Apple products and programs for almost everything.

I had an iMac at work for several years and honestly, the glass-covered screen was very nice, something I'm still looking for a Windows equivalent to. But it's not enough to make me convert to a Mac at home.
:iconstraightx:
straightx Feb 4, 2013  Student Digital Artist
I very rarely use my mac book pro for digital painting. The only reason is because I have a PC that I built myself that out performs it in every aspect. To be honest a macbook pro will be able to handle most tasks at smaller resolutions like 3000x3000. Which is more than enough for personal work. As for the printing part of your question I can tell you that there is no easy way to color correct your monitor. I had a photography class where I had to make some prints and even with thousand dollar monitors it always looked a little different on paper.
:iconemeraldmew:
emeraldmew Feb 5, 2013  Student Digital Artist
I think the only way you can make sure that your prints will turn out as they are on the screen is to print from your own printer. Assuming you have a high quality printer (for printing artwork prints, photographs, etc) and that you're the only one using it, then it can be done. I used to work at a printing place, and things on the screen printed off as they were - correct colors and all - but the company had certain printers for certain printing types, and only used the one computer to print from it. It takes a lot of money and time to make sure all that prints off as it should. Another thing to keep in mind is the type of paper your using as well. Paper comes in different brightnesses, which means the higher the number for the brightnesses, the more crisp, clear and nice the color will be. Not saying it'll come out being the same, just that the colors will be better. Glossy and Matte papers make a difference too.

But if you're taking your prints elsewhere, you will run into the issue of colors may be slightly off. I've gotten things printed at OfficeMax on their printers - nice printers with a nice selection of paper - and I've had almost no issues. Yeah some colors were off, but not enough to make a huge difference.
straightx Feb 5, 2013  Student Digital Artist
Yeah It's never a huge difference. I never knew how much went into printing until I had to do it myself.
emeraldmew Feb 5, 2013  Student Digital Artist
Oh, I know! Same here! I think the biggest thing that gets me is no the color - that I can live with if it's a little off - but the damned bleed! I always forget about that and that almost all printers cannot print a full bleed and that if you want a full bleed on a standard sheet of paper, you have to up the paper size, then cut off all you don't want. Waste so much paper! x.x
straightx Feb 5, 2013  Student Digital Artist
Yeah printing truly is its own art form lol.
emeraldmew Feb 4, 2013  Student Digital Artist
I used to work on an iBook G4 (that was some time ago!) and had no issues. After it died, I was on a windows for about 2 years, and it was horrid. I mean not bad, but it lagged and was slow, and I had a decent amount of RAM in it and such - I think I was just using it too much. I've been on my MacBook Pro for a little over a year now and love it! No issues running Photoshop at all. I have yet to have it lag when working on large images or multiple images.
:iconkeepitfresh1113:
Keepitfresh1113 Feb 4, 2013  Student Digital Artist
Thanks for the comments everyone, I really appreciate it! I ended up just buying a monitor for a bit more screen and Im actually really satisfied with it. The color of the two screens isnt perfect, but Ill eventually buy some calibration hardware, just dont have the cash at the moment.
:iconvictorianpanda:
VictorianPanda Jan 31, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
I work exclusively on a Macbook Pro, and and everything works well for me. I do, however, sometimes like to connect to a television, just for a bigger display, but it's not necessary.
:iconmoofactory:
Get a high enough cpu and 8-16 gb ram and it doesnt matter what your using be it a mac or a pc.
Add a Comment: