Closed to new replies
January 24, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 23

So my tablet cord broke and no one knows how to fix it

:iconamuupon:
amuupon Featured By Owner Jan 24, 2013  Student Digital Artist
Hi there! During a flight last week my tablet cord somehow got ripped off and I'm trying desperatley to fix it. I've been to Radio Shack and Staples and they dont know how to repair it. Its a real shame because its a large Wacom Intous 2 and getting a new one just because one stupid cord broke is such a waste. Does anyone have any ideas?

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconmoofactory:
moofactory Featured By Owner Jan 31, 2013
If its on the cord end you could strip it and re wire it back togeather with some conductive tape...after all its just a USB plug.

However if it ripped off inside the tablet... its highly possible you ripped it out of the main board its connected to... in which case...

buy a new one/
:iconmonkeydanceguy:
MonkeydanceGuy Featured By Owner Jan 30, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Depends on how it's "broken" If the connections on the inside are frayed, then you're probably screwed. If it's just sheared or cleanly cut, you can try to peel back the casing and get a circuitry voltmeter and remap the connection. With that said, that level of electronic repair is best left up to the professional, who usually won't do it regardless of warranty because it's easier and cheaper to replace the hardware. I feel your pain, but the best thing to do would be invest in a new tablet, perhaps with a extended warranty if you carry yours around a lot.
amuupon Featured By Owner Jan 31, 2013  Student Digital Artist
My only option was to send it to wacom and pay 140$ + shipping to have it repaired so I went ahead and got a cheap bamboo instead. Thanks for your reply though!
:icondamaimikaz:
DamaiMikaz Featured By Owner Jan 28, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Have you tried wacom forums already? They might have replacement parts or offer you another solution :)
amuupon Featured By Owner Jan 29, 2013  Student Digital Artist
I emailed them, 140$ for repairing! Felt like it was too much so I got a new one cheaper (: But thanks for the tip!
:icondamaimikaz:
DamaiMikaz Featured By Owner Jan 30, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Wow... that's insane 0__o
:iconmercury-crowe:
Mercury-Crowe Featured By Owner Jan 25, 2013  Professional Artisan Crafter
Hm, if the cord has come free from the tablet then you need to send it back to Wacom to get it fixed (not Radio Shack or some computer place, it actually needs to be sent back to the manufacturer. You can get a box from the post office, make sure you pad it well). You can call them or do customer service through their website.

Last I heard, they will replace the cord for a fee if you send them the tablet. But I have no idea what that is, so make sure to ask. Last time I checked it was around $100 but that was a really long time ago.
amuupon Featured By Owner Jan 25, 2013  Student Digital Artist
Ah okay, I just sent the model number to a wacom representative to get a price estimate. Seems like sending it back to wacom is the best solution even though its going to cost me a bit ); Thanks for your reply!
:iconsonyashinto:
SonyaShinto Featured By Owner Jan 24, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
If you can't find anyone to fix it, and you are going to buy a new one, i got mine off this site.
[link]

They also have great deals of other electronic stuff.
Ooh I'll definatley keep that in mind! Thanks!
:iconnokari:
nokari Featured By Owner Jan 24, 2013  Professional Interface Designer
Are you an electrician?
Are you fairly competent and rewiring electronic equipment or know someone who is?
Are there no computer repair shops in your area?

If your answer to those questions is "no", then send the tablet to Wacom for repair/replacement. They have a customer service number on their website. You may have to pay a fee (besides shipping), but that is the only other choice you have that's better than buying a new tablet at the moment. Otherwise, start learning how to rewire electronic equipment so you can fix it yourself, or keep searching for a store that can do it. I wouldn't recommend duct tape without actually soldering the wiring correctly first.
:icontetchist:
Tetchist Featured By Owner Jan 25, 2013  Professional Digital Artist
you don't need to be an electrician or know how to "rewire electronic equipment" to repair what they're talking about. it sounds like something got yanked of its solder point and that's it.
I went to staples and radio shack since they're the only electronic stores I know of here in the US (the tablet broke when I moved here from Europe >; ), but I havent looked into any independent repair shops yet. Maybe that'd be a good idea. I was thinking about rewiring it myself, but I've never done it before and theres quite a lot of wires sticking out of it. I just dont want to make a bigger mess of it ): I sent an email to wacom just now so hopefully they'll reply soon. Thanks!
:iconhedwards:
hedwards Featured By Owner Jan 26, 2013
Don't have an electrician do it, they generally know nothing about low voltage equipment.

If you can find a TV repair shop, they might be able to help you out with that. But, you want somebody that works with electronics, not high voltage stuff.
amuupon Featured By Owner Jan 26, 2013  Student Digital Artist
Allright o: Tv shop it is! Thanks
:iconhedwards:
hedwards Featured By Owner Jan 27, 2013
Here in China there are tons of places where I could have that done, but the cost of shipping would be sufficient to not make it worthwhile. But yeah, if you can find a shop that fixes TVs, they would likely have somebody that's able to fix that.

But, it's probably best to just send it back to Wacom to fix, as they'll probably send you a refurb unit if the cost of fixing isn't reasonable.
amuupon Featured By Owner Jan 29, 2013  Student Digital Artist
I contacted wacom and they would charge 140$ + shipping for repairing it so I went ahead and got a new one for like half the price :| Thanks for the tip though! (:
:iconkaber13:
kaber13 Featured By Owner Jan 24, 2013  Professional Digital Artist
it may be possible to have a computer repair shop do it. Otherwise, google search an answer or visit the Wacom site and contact the company about your problem. Maybe they'll be generous and replace it or offer suggestions.
I went to staples and radio shack since they're the only electronic stores I know of here in the US (the tablet broke when I moved here from Europe >; ), but I havent looked into any independent repair shops yet. And I just emailed wacom so hopefully they'll reply soon. Thanks!
:iconlytrigian:
Lytrigian Featured By Owner Jan 24, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
Duct tape.
:iconlinniie-poo:
linniie-POO Featured By Owner Jan 27, 2013  Student Filmographer
If you can use it in a zombie apocalypse, you can use it for everything. lol
:iconsonyashinto:
SonyaShinto Featured By Owner Jan 24, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
Im guessing the wire stays connected to the tablet?
Yep, one tiny bit goes into the tablet (you have to open it to remove/change it completely) and the other end is loose o;
Add a Comment: