Statistics

Replies: 16

Reference from Manga Arts

:iconshoumakyou:
shoumakyou Featured By Owner Jan 24, 2013  Student Digital Artist
First I'm concentrating on anime drawings, and almost all
are girl drawing.

then,
Is it okay to use someone's art as reference.
I just need the posture. Will that count as stealing?

Basically, just the body structure and hand gestures.
Everything else would be changed, eyes, hairstyle, color,
clothes, etc... I'm still thinking if it's legal or not.

I'm having a hard time learning from ball joints drawing.
It's a hard task. And somewhere down the line I'm having a
feeling that I'm doing some stuffs wrong.

I don't have anyone to teach me about drawings. And tutorials
are very informative. But I really want to learn as quickly
as possible.

I'm also thinking of using the reference pics to trace back the basic skeletal lines and joints. It'll help me learn more
rather than making my own at this point plus I believe it'll
be faster.

My drawings still looks stiff and most of them lacks a good
flow of the character. And I still need to work on my colouring and backgrounds but this stuffs should be put first.

Sorry for the long post. I removed a lot of stuffs as much
as possible without straying too much from the topic.
Thank you very much.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconstraightx:
straightx Featured By Owner Jan 24, 2013  Student Digital Artist
I really think you should learn traditional anatomy. This way you won't need references and can make up your own.
:iconblack-allison:
Black-Allison Featured By Owner Jan 24, 2013
It's not illegal persay, some people will call you out for being an scummy artist. I mean you could just like you know, learn how to draw.

Basically it's nothing illegal, but don't get upset if people laugh at you.
:iconwindhydra:
WindHydra Featured By Owner Jan 24, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
If you are tracing (even for just the anatomy), I think some people will consider it as stealing the pose. No matter how general a pose is, there are still infinitely many angles for the same pose, so it's hard to end up with the exact same one. Just try searching for something like "archer aiming" or "playing violin."
Thank you very much. Yes, I really feel like stealing even if it's just the pose
:iconjan-scolors:
jan-scolors Featured By Owner Jan 24, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Uhmm...Ang alam ko kasi dapat acknowledge mo pa rin yung source kahit pose lang. Basta siguro acknowledge mo yung reference ok lang :) Tsaka indicate mo na gusto mong mas mabilis matuto sa structures kaya mo trinace kapag ipost mo :) Ok na siguro yun. Masyado ka namang strict sa sarili mo hehe :)
thank you very much. I usually do general pose. I was thinking of making it a bit more harder. I can't get any idea flowing since yesterday. I've been drawing pose bit by bit but can't get a read.

I'm thinking they might get angry if we use our native language. But I'm really grateful for the post. I'll wait for other feedbacks as well.
No problem :) You should try drawing in different angles then. Anatomy changes with the angle.

I understand :) Won't pose in Fil now :)
sorry about that. And yes I'm considering of drawing in different angles.
most of the stuffs I draw has a very limited angle and pose.
:) you should try. it's also a good practice but a bit harder :)
:iconmunuci:
Munuci Featured By Owner Jan 24, 2013  Student General Artist
I guess you could compare it to using a base? Though you actually draw it 'yourself', still, I wouldn't.. do it. I think you're better off using actual photo references, and stylize those if you wish to do so, or maybe even take pictures of yourself in said pose (unless you're male wanting to draw females, it's possible but eh)

I would link you this one site that I know of but I can't seem to remember what it's called, but it's like a thing where they put a timer (you get to choose the amount of time) and it basically does a little slideshow kind of thing where you have x time to draw the pose/gesture/body/whatever. Will most likely help you improve. (though this is one of those things I tell other people to do but then I don't do it myself, but srs, it's helpful, lol.)

It helps you quickly sketch out the gesture and I guess flow of the body if you do it the right way, which might help you with that.

[link] - this isn't the one I'm talking about, but it's similar.
Add a Comment: