January 23, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 9

Photo manipulation and composition critique

:iconyarivt:
yarivt Jan 23, 2013  Student Traditional Artist
Hi,

I'm not sure this is the right forum, but...
I'm working on a fantasy scenario reference for an oil painting I'm planing to start (70 cm x 50 cm).
I need your critique:
What do you think about the composition?
Does it look good?
Any errors you see?
Any suggestion to improve?

All comments will be appreciated.

The piece

Thanks,
Yariv

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconphoenixleo:
Since it's a WIP, use the Scraps gallery category rather than the Photomanipulation category. Use the appropriate category selection. You are going to remove it either way and submit new so don't inundate categories with wips and scrap works.

When standing, a tiger is around a standing human's waist or more. You have a woman sitting in a low raised chair, and a tiger that doesn't even scrap the elbow height of the woman even when crouched minimally. There's no general size ratios so fix that proportion. Search for a height comparison. As an example, look at Lana Del Rey's music video of Born to Die. You have those throne shaped chairs and the two huge tigers at the side lying down sideways and at low levels. Now imagine when it's going to be on four feet at it's full height! 

Also, like ~Imperf3ction mentioned, the woman's overall proportion to the 'room canvas' is very large. Most of the eyes go towards her and with the huge sword at the background, there is depth of field problem. Things far behind are small in size. Yours look almost the same length as it would be in the front. 
You are doing a queen at their leisure moment(?) or full grandeur. Think whether having the viewer see the queen squished at large size at the right would make her feel weak or at the centre in her pose would make her powerful and regal (and all the queenly attributes).  Check the music video mentioned above. See how they composed the shot? By all means, you can have her sideways if that's what you want, but make sure whatever you are trying to convey matches that and viewers don't just go meh. So say, centre queen at a small proportion in the middle (see the carpet's centre), get the middle pillar out and put that in both sides at the far edge, have two swords at each side, placed opposite so they directionally create a curve and direct the eyes towards the centre, to the queen. Just experiment with the setting and see what happens. There are other ways to compose things and things deviate often. Rule of Thirds isn't the one-law-to-rule-them-all deal. 
Thanks, I'll change the tiger ratio toward the woman. Also will check how centering the woman will affect, like you and ~Imperf3ction suggested.
:iconimperf3ction:
Imperf3ction Jan 23, 2013  Student Digital Artist
Question is, where do you want the viewer to look at? Granted when I am looking at it, I pay attention to the lady in the chair only because it takes up a massive photo, I would play around with it , try to center it more, I feel it's going to the right side of the page when their actions are rather quiet.
Thanks for commenting!

I placed the main characters in the "right side" because of the Rule of Thirds. Also, when you start looking at the left side that is emptier, the sword points your eye back to the tiger. Bottom line, as you indicated, your eyes were drawn to the main subjects and that's the point. I could switch the woman's pose horizontally and that would lead the eyes to the tiger and make him the main focus, but I didn't decide whether I want the tiger to be the main focus on the scene.
:iconimperf3ction:
Imperf3ction Jan 23, 2013  Student Digital Artist
Anytime and I see, well as I said, when doing a Rule of Thirds, it's good to have empty space which is what's going on here but usually if I engage to have characters more to a favorable side, they are usually more active in terms of activity if you get what I mean, like if their eyes were staring at something for example, maybe an landscape, the best way to go about it though is experiment you know?
You are right, I will try to experiment a bit more. Maybe centering will work for me too.
Thanks again!
Add a Comment: