Closed to new replies
January 22, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 4

Gun coloring tutorial?

:icontherebornace:
TheRebornAce Featured By Owner Jan 22, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
I have been using photoshop (CS5.1 FYI) and digitally coloring my art pieces for almost a year now and I am getting the hang of it. I know how to color my characters to a point that they are "viewable" but when it comes to having them holding some sort of weapon, especially a gun (rifle, pistol, etc.), I do not know how to color the weapon like I can with my characters correctly. As a result, the gun they're holding just seem flat.

Instead of having to explain further or having you guys search through my gallery to see what I mean, here is a [link] to one of my characters.

See what I mean when I say the gun just seem flat? So my main question for this thread is, does anyone have any tutorials or references I could possibly refer to so I can improve my coloring skills on guns? I would appreciate very much for those that can help me. Thank you.

(PS: This is my first time on the forums, so I am not sure if I am posting this thread in the correct area.)

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconsabresine:
SabreSine Featured By Owner Jan 22, 2013  Hobbyist Photographer
I handle a lot of firearms (real or otherwise), I could help you reference a few :)
ok thank you. well, i happen to be working on another picture and i need some help on how to color a M249 SAW. So if you could, that would be great. :D
:iconkatara-alchemist:
Katara-Alchemist Featured By Owner Jan 22, 2013  Student General Artist
You probably won't find a tutorial specifically on shading guns, but you can find other similar topics that could help you. One big thing is looking up how to color metallic surfaces, and another is how to shade geometric solids such as squares. A side of a square isn't,generally, going to be one solid color. It will be gradated.

I also advise using reference photos of real guns.
that's what i thought. and about using photos of real guns, it just seems very difficult to "convert" a realistic color to a "cartoonish" but still having those realistic shadings. but anyways, thanks for your reply.
Add a Comment: