January 18, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 20

Am I on the right truck?

:icondarcos:
Darcos Featured By Owner Jan 18, 2013  Professional Photographer
Dear Deviants,

I am not sure if this belongs here, but I want to start do digital art works, so I painted my first portrait taken from a digital photo, and this is the result:

and as topic says, am I on the right truck? doing good?

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconnarutokunobessed:
narutokunobessed Featured By Owner Jan 21, 2013  Student General Artist
Its readable as a symbol but not as a person. Interpret more of colors then values, but use values to know how much color to use. There is alot of tutorials on color theory and values.

This is probably a fun one to use:
:iconstipend:
stipend Featured By Owner Jan 18, 2013   General Artist
not bad, i think the shirt is done rather well.
i think you're on the right track with his face, looks kinda flat though (like a cell shaded cartoon).
try adding more depth by introducing more extreme highlights and shadows perhaps?
honestly, i do not like the background... a solid mid tone or a basic gradient may be better.
keep up the good work! :)
Darcos Featured By Owner Jan 19, 2013  Professional Photographer
Thank you so much, I will do so, I might chose a difficult face to start with.. as he have little Psoriasis on his face :(
stipend Featured By Owner Jan 19, 2013   General Artist
yw :) yes, work with a new picture
it can become frustrating re-working older artwork
(you don't want to become frustrated and quit!)
Darcos Featured By Owner Jan 20, 2013  Professional Photographer
Will try to draw myself or a stock picture from deviant art with few manipulations :D
stipend Featured By Owner Jan 21, 2013   General Artist
good idea! :)
:iconthebestwes:
thebestwes Featured By Owner Jan 18, 2013  Student General Artist
You're focusing too much on detail. You're also drawing symbolic color, e.g. the eyes and shirt are "white" so you paint them with white paint. This is similar to painting leaves as being purely green, even though depending on the lighting they can be any number of colors. I guarantee you that if you use the eyedropper tool on the original image the eyes will be a much darker gray than they appear. Read up on some color theory. Also, work on the big shapes, not the small noodley details. Figure out what is in the light and what is in the shadow immediately, as your lightest dark should not ever be lighter than your darkest light (and the converse also follows). These shadow shapes are what defines our view of an object, not the details. Look at this to see a good example of how much information is packed into the shapes of the shadows. I'd also recommend painting exclusively in black and white for a while until you get good at judging value.
Darcos Featured By Owner Jan 19, 2013  Professional Photographer
Thank you very much for the clearance and advice, I will do my best and keep training
:iconthebestwes:
thebestwes Featured By Owner Jan 19, 2013  Student General Artist
No problem. Glad to help.
stipend Featured By Owner Jan 18, 2013   General Artist
"symbolic color" is tricky... i need to avoid it more frequently with my work. :) (thanks for bringing it up, new vocabulary to me)
Add a Comment: