January 17, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 4

Digital Art Categories

:iconanwaarsaleh:
anwaarsaleh Featured By Owner Jan 17, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
Hi all!

I'm so confused lately with the different categories of digital art. When I search for Digital Art in google, there are many categories that appear aside from da like Concept Art, CG Art, and Illustrations. I think there are few more examples but that's all I remember at the moment. So, are these terms part of Digital art or are they completely different? If so, what's the difference between each category?

Thank you for your time :)

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconanwaarsaleh:
anwaarsaleh Featured By Owner Jan 17, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
I don't think I fully understood the difference but thank you guys so much for your explanation.
:iconrynkadraws:
RynkaDraws Featured By Owner Jan 17, 2013  Student Digital Artist
To expand a bit on what weremole said:

Illustrations are art pieces which could be done both digitally and traditionally, with the purpose of illustrating(demonstrating) a scene or character in a particular situation. This is usually an extremely finished-looking work made for sales and promotion.

Concept art is not exactly art in the traditional sense, it doesn't need to symbolize or imply on certain motifs. Instead it's made as part of a decision process for how a certain part of a game/movie/book/etc would look like. They are usually made in the dozens, what you usually see posted on art sites is usually the final design, after it's approval, so not everyone knows what goes on behind the scenes.
:iconweremole:
weremole Featured By Owner Jan 17, 2013  Professional Digital Artist
CG = computer generated. It's an oldfashioned term for digital art that still sticks around. It would be like having a digital art digital art subcathegory. Concept art is development art done to figure something out before production. Be it a game, movie, whatever. It isn't just digital art, albeit its very common since production pipelines are tight and digital art has a lot of advantages with time and revisions in mind. Illustrations are again just not a digital at thing. An illustration is a piece of art that is a part of something, like an picture in a book, or on a game card, a cover of a book or magazine, etc.
:iconsigmaeleven:
SigmaEleven Featured By Owner Jan 17, 2013  Student Digital Artist
Digital art is art generated by a computer and users inputting data to do art.
Basically art that involves computers and touch-sensitive digital devices to work.
So technically there will be a whole lot of categories and all, as does traditional art
and their counterparts. but all it matters is that! It's either digital or traditional.
Add a Comment: