Closed to new replies
January 16, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 13

Tablet Issues

:iconblackrose66nz:
blackrose66nz Featured By Owner Jan 16, 2013
Well I'm certain this issue has presented itself before, however I've looked all over and no one seems to have the exact problem I'm facing. My tablet lines are EXTREMELY wiggly. Now before you jump to the conclusion that I simply need more practice and experience, let me tell you that I've been using a tablet for at least 3-4 years now. I know how to use one. I've drawn wonderful things before with my previous tablet. It's simply my new tablet that's been giving me trouble. You see my old one (which was by Wacom) had the pen break. Even though I'd heard stories about replacement pens not working well with old tablets, I looked for one anyways, and the pen was no longer available because the model was too out of date (or something of that nature). So when I got enough money, I bought a new Wacom tablet. It's an Intuos 4. It was immediately more jerky than my other tablet. Even when I'm not in a painting program, the mouse itself will jerk from time to time. I messed with the settings quite a bit, and it made the control of the pen and the mouse a little smoother, but not quite enough. The lines are never smooth, even when I draw lightning fast wisps. Sometimes the quicker lines come out pretty nice, but I need to draw at a slower speed than that so I can actually have precision with what I'm doing. I don't expect the line to come out perfect, but even with my best control, the lines are wiggly.
Here's a quick example: [link]

I generally draw my lines further out rather than zoomed in. I don't consider myself a master with a tablet by any means, but with my other tablet, I know for a fact that the quick dragon sketch would have come out better. Is this a problem with the software? Are the newer tablets different, and I simply need to get used to it? I'd love to hear some thoughts and advice.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconbadluckart:
BadLuckArt Featured By Owner Jan 17, 2013
I think there is a chance your problem may be caused by your mouse. Is it an optical mouse? Old? Weird things can happen if the bottom section with the red light and the camera is not clean or the mouse pad doesn't have enough texture for it to recognize the surface, that may be the cause of it being jittery. You can also try to uninstall both the mouse driver (if there is one or try a different mouse, because the wacom driver might have conflicted with the mouse especially if it's USB), and then uninstall any other wacom software and drivers and start from scratch completely. Hope this helps!
:iconpuppy-dangerous:
puppy-dangerous Featured By Owner Jan 17, 2013  Professional Artisan Crafter
Well, step one is always reinstall the drivers, or find new ones. I had to try three drivers on my work computer before I found one that worked right.

If you've tried that:

I have that problem with Gimp.

I have an old Graphire 3. Works GREAT with photoshop and muro- beautiful smooth lines, reacts awesome, just like drawing on paper.

Put it in Gimp and *thibbit* out the window. (I need to install drivers on the computer I'm using now, but I've tried it on a couple different machines and the drivers make it a little better, but not great). Wonky lines, pressure sensitivity is weird and the whole feel is just...off. It's icky. And my lines are usually super smooth, I draw fast.

So maybe try a different program and see if that helps.
blackrose66nz Featured By Owner Jan 17, 2013
I'm definitely going to try re-installing the driver to see if it helps. So far, it doesn't matter which program I'm in; the lines are still super jittery. Mind you I only have Photoshop CS4 and paint, but my other tablet worked with those programs just fine. In fact, this tablet will also draw lines when I didn't even have my pen down. Let me try to explain it in more detail. If I have a drawing open in photoshop, and begin working on a section near the center, as soon as I put the pen down, a line from the tool I'm working with, such as the brush, will appear as if I dragged it all the way from the edge of the work space to the area I'm working on. Like this: [link]
That get's really annoying.
:iconpuppy-dangerous:
puppy-dangerous Featured By Owner Jan 18, 2013  Professional Artisan Crafter
How old is your computer? Sometimes if you have an older OS it's better to find an old driver that will work for the tablet. I had to try three on my desktop to find one that worked right.

If it keeps doing that, you may think about contacting customer support to see if they have any suggestions, or to have it checked to make sure the pen isn't broken or something.

I believe Wacom products have a manufacturers warranty for a year from the date you purchase them, I think it has to be activated within 30 days of purchase though. Mine was way past the service date when I got it, so I'm not sure about that. Probably wouldn't hurt to ask.

Also, have you checked the wacom forums?
:iconfriendlyhand:
FriendlyHand Featured By Owner Jan 16, 2013  Professional Digital Artist
I sometimes read on wacom forum threads that if you install a second tablet of a different model, there can be weird side effects.

My recommendation would be to uninstall all tablet drivers and then reinstall only the newest ones following the instructions that came with your tablet (This probably means disconnecting your tablet before installing the drivers and only connecting it when you are told to connect it.)
You know I'm glad you brought that up because it's very possible that the old tablet software is still on this computer. Perhaps that's half of where the core of the problem lies! I'll have to check it out!
:iconachipps:
achipps Featured By Owner Jan 16, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I may be a mouse user but I don't thing your problem matters what you are using, but the fact it uses more ram than your old tablet.

The computer get slower keeping updated the video while the cursor is moving the computer can't keep track of where you have been. It throws in random locations it thought you crossed. That happens more with large brushes, and a lot of half filled pixels.

It effects the video ram, and if the video card has a fan on it, that might need cleaned to help the performance and smooth things out.

Some other things that smooth things out is the use of resources used by the tablet. A lot of other additional feature running with the tablet that you don't need could be slowing it down like pixel analists, I can't remember the name but it smooths the pixels hard edges.

Other things to do is use a smaller or bigger canvas that works better. Some carts work better when they run at X16 than at X1, but some don't. Change canvas sizes and find something that works smoother.

I can only guess that your old tablet worked better because it had simple features, and less drivers.

For me the mouse never changes, and I rarely need to install drivers. So when there is a problem then it is driver conflict.
You can check for that in the device manager.
I can certainly believe that my old tablet worked better because the features were more simple. Perhaps I should check on the video card as well, but I think for the most part it should be fine. It's not very old. I'll play around with the canvas size and make sure additional features that aren't important are turned off. Thanks for the advice :)
:iconhappyhyperharo:
HappyHyperHaro Featured By Owner Jan 16, 2013  Student General Artist
It could depend on what your computer's OS is, I've heard that newer tablets have trouble running along side with Windows 7 and above. I've had problems with my tablet running slower on my Windows 7 and running perfectly fine on my Macbook Pro. I've heard that you have to delete certain programs within the hard drive itself. I don't know if that's any help to you, but it's one of the problems I experienced with newer tablets. I'm sorry I don't know too much on the subject, I hope I could help give you a clue though. Congrats on getting an intuos though, I'm still using a Bamboo.
I know I'm definitely running on an OS higher than windows 7. I've forgotten the specific OS, but it's certainly windows 7 or above. I'll look into the programs on the drive :) And thank you for your congratulations! Bamboo tablets are still great too ^^
Add a Comment: