January 16, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 60

Wacom Cintiq, try before you buy?

:iconholly-mellor:
Holly-Mellor Featured By Owner Jan 16, 2013  Professional Digital Artist
Hey guys,

For my 21st birthday I'm thinking of upgrading to a Wacom Cintiq, I'm using an Inutos 4 at the moment.

My question to you is, how on earth can I try one before I buy? I live in the UK and we don't have Wacom stores and so far I can't find a shop that has one anywhere in the UK.

Ideas?

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconoopeaceoo:
oopeaceoo Featured By Owner Feb 12, 2013  Professional
Hey,

I had the fun to work several years with a cintiq via my studies.
(I've studied Animation)
I experienced the small Cintiq, the 21 UX and the 24 HD.

So - at first I thought - the small Cintiq is great, and enough - but
it had less accuracy than the others.

The 21 UX was nice and great - and I thought - "So, this should be it!"

But then I started with the 24 HD - and it is... VERY huge and heavy.

But I reeeaaally liked it a lot!
If you animate - that's a very great tool and I'm a lot faster with it.

Drawing is also very nice with it.

Now I'm working on an Intuos 4 and did some animation Jobs on that as well -
and it worked...

even though I would really like to go for a 24HD some day - the Intous-series are pretty good as well.

If you got the money - I would say - go for a 24 HD, you'll not regret it... :)

Otherwise - art is possible without a Cintiq as well. ;)
Holly-Mellor Featured By Owner Feb 12, 2013  Professional Digital Artist
Heya, thanks for the comment! Yeah I have my intuos and I am happy with I won't lie just that small problem of the hand eye coord thing. I'll have to see if I like it when I go to the convention, it's a big plunge to make!
:iconmichaelsstuff:
Michaelsstuff Featured By Owner Feb 12, 2013  Student Digital Artist
In my opinion the cintiq is just cool, people buy it mainly too show off or because they've got too much money. Its not going to help you paint better...though I secretly wish it could...:)
Holly-Mellor Featured By Owner Feb 12, 2013  Professional Digital Artist
Yeah of course it won't increase your skills, but that's not what it aims to do. It aims to make your painting experience more comfortable and drawing onto the screen rather than the tablet really is a whole different interaction.

I wouldn't class myself in either of those brackets, although I wish I did have too much money that wouldn't be half bad :)
:iconmichaelsstuff:
Michaelsstuff Featured By Owner Feb 12, 2013  Student Digital Artist
That makes sense. But I don't thing spending $5'000 (if you're buying the big one) is really all that worth it. But if you've got money to spend, then yup just buy it! :) I would too if I had 5k! :D
Holly-Mellor Featured By Owner Feb 13, 2013  Professional Digital Artist
Hell no! Haha, I don't fancy the touch at all. Touch screen isn't my thing ;(
:iconblackburnart:
Blackburnart Featured By Owner Jan 26, 2013  Professional Digital Artist
Its not worth it even from a professional stand point, it will do nothing to improve your art. It MIGHT make you more comfortable, and thats a big maybe (everybody I know that has one says they run hot, and they also own a intuos and switch back and forth)

Also the resolution is already out dated compared to high end monitors. Save your money and buy a tool thats actually useful, like a high end IPS monitor, and an intuos. Much better then a cintiq.
Holly-Mellor Featured By Owner Jan 27, 2013  Professional Digital Artist
Thanks for the tip :)
:icongiorgiobaroni:
giorgiobaroni Featured By Owner Jan 21, 2013  Professional Digital Artist
in my opinion buying a cintiq isn't necessary at all.
wacom gave me the chance to try and do a little showcase of the 24hd model last year at the children bookfair in bologna italy.
being an intuos user for the last 10 years almost i found myself pretty lost, i worked on it just for a couple of hours so not much, but the feeling i had wasn't the best.
it's a bit slower than the intuos, i am used to pretty fast strokes and on the surface the cursor didn't follow the pen's tip.
it's bulky and heavy, of course, it's a 24 inches screen with a very solid stand (really great in construction and materials) that make the cintiq rotate and slide from vertical to horizontal..another great feature i must say, but nothing that i really care since i'm not used to it.
you can use your free hand to hold it like a sketchboard, on the side, and it has all those fancy buttons on the back side, but again i didn't even used them because the intuos doesn't have them..i usually have my free hand swapping from keyboards shortcuts to the intuos buttons, so with the cintiq i had some troubles since the keyboard was almost impossible to reach due to the size of the screen.
another problem i found was my entire body position: drawing on the intuos is completely automatic for me now, so i have my working stance that never changed in the past years, head and eyes straight to the screen, straight back, arms bent at 90 degrees.
but with the cintiq is completely different: it lays halfway on the table, making the lowest side almost touching my legs, even keeping it close to the horizontal limit, and it forces me to keep my head bent forward, and i'm sure this could lead to some serious back and neck pain being in that position for 10 hours a day..not to mention that what you're looking at is a screen, not bright as a computer screen, but always a screen, so the eyes could suffer too after long hours of use..
that being said, i'm not telling you not to buy it, having the chance to try it would be great of course, but having it would mean starting from scratch with everything, from body position to drawing speed and everything.
if i had the money i wouldn't buy it anyway, i'm fine with my old intuos and i think i'll go with it as long as i can since they are two very different product, they aren't one the evolution of the other, but just two very different pieces of hardware that make the same thing.
Holly-Mellor Featured By Owner Jan 22, 2013  Professional Digital Artist
Thank you for the in-depth reply! I have been using the Intuos 4 myself for around a year now, so these problems you've faced my also challenge me. In particular the drawing speed. The problem is with the intuos I find it very difficult to be precise with my lines because I'm not watching my stroke, i'm hoping the cintiq can fix that for me!
:icongiorgiobaroni:
giorgiobaroni Featured By Owner Jan 22, 2013  Professional Digital Artist
i'm not trying to discourage you, but this seems a problem that comes from you hand instead of the tool you're using.
let me explain: precision on a digital tool is like precision on a traditional media.
at the beginning, connecting two dots with a pen on a piece of paper wasn't easy i guess, but with time and practice it become natural.
same goes with digital devices, you just have to practice, trust me when i say that there is no difference in precision when drawing on a board while looking at the screen and looking directly at the screen where you're drawing on, it's just a matter of practice practice practice, then the little crosshair on the screen will go exactly where you want it to go.
and one more thing, when you draw, you don't look at your hand, or at the pen you're holding, but you focus on the line/brush stroke you're drawing, so mind that with the old intuos you have a completely free view of everything on the canvas, while on the cintiq part of your work is covered behind your hand and arm, even the line you struggle to be precise with! :D
Holly-Mellor Featured By Owner Jan 22, 2013  Professional Digital Artist
What I mean by that is, when I'm using the intuos it's more of a wrist movement instead of an arm movement that is applied when you're using traditional media. I have no problem with drawing lines and making the pencil go where I want on pencil and paper. I put it down to not actually viewing where my pen is going but instead what its drawing. It's quite a common problem when people switch from traditional to digital. It's not a drastic problem, but it's an annoying one when painting structures etc.
:iconimperf3ction:
Imperf3ction Featured By Owner Jan 19, 2013  Student Digital Artist
If you have the money to throw down, go for it, but I wouldn't even touch it really unless I was working professionally at work, I feel there's such a huge learning curve with a graphic tablet, and that's even more of a learning curve if you're still learning developmental skills. I seen astonishing artist still using the bamboo, I just hope you know the ability is within you and not the equipment, although it certainly helps! I am still using a monoprice tablet and I wouldn't mind trying out a cliq just to see how comfortable it would be for me but it can always wait :P
Holly-Mellor Featured By Owner Jan 20, 2013  Professional Digital Artist
Yeah I think I do, I'm at the turning point. Becoming a professional but still learning at the same time, I think this tool will help in that process :)
:iconmattcombsart:
MattCombsArt Featured By Owner Jan 19, 2013
what size cintiq are you looking to get?

I own a 12 and its perfect. No issues, best investment i made for my art.

oh someone mentioned "your hand covers part of what you are drawing".....lol it isnt an issue when using it. Unless you have Shrek hands.
Holly-Mellor Featured By Owner Jan 19, 2013  Professional Digital Artist
I think I'm actually going to go for the 24HD.

*looks at hands* I think I'm good haha!
:iconf-guy:
f-guy Featured By Owner Jan 18, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I tried the Cintiq in a shop near my house the other day.
It's super cool, but in my opnion it has one big disadvantage compared to the Intuos. Can you guess it?
Holly-Mellor Featured By Owner Jan 18, 2013  Professional Digital Artist
Its not portable I suppose?
:iconf-guy:
f-guy Featured By Owner Jan 18, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Oh that's also true!
The one I though about is that when you draw in the Cintiq it's just like drawing on paper, your hand covers part of what you are drawing, whilst when drawing in the Intuos you can always see the whole screen.
It can be quite annoying if you are more used to tablets than to paper.
Oh indeed, I hadn't thought of that! I suppose it'll have to be one of those things that you get used to. :D
:iconwezenbeesje:
wezenbeesje Featured By Owner Jan 18, 2013  Professional General Artist
I can say I love the Cintiq, the difference is as big as the difference between mouse and normal drawing tablet. :)
Oh really? I'm hoping so :D!
:iconmatsuemon:
Matsuemon Featured By Owner Jan 17, 2013
WOW! That would be one HELL of a birthday present!! But if anyone deserves one, it's you (although you clearly don't need one cuz you're already so good). I can't wait to see what you turn out with that bad boy haha. It would be "brilliant" as you Brits would say =P
Holly-Mellor Featured By Owner Jan 17, 2013  Professional Digital Artist
I know, it'll be the most I've spent on myself ever! And thank you haha!
:icondamaimikaz:
DamaiMikaz Featured By Owner Jan 17, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Don't they have events aimed towards digital artists?
Here in the Netherlands we have the same problem with not having wacom stores. I had my first experience with a Cinqiq on a convention aimed towards digital artists, that was attended by wacom ^^
Actually, there is a wacom store in the Netherlands! Me and my boyfriend traveled to Doetinchem to try one and we bought one! :)
DamaiMikaz Featured By Owner Jan 18, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Really? I've never heard about that? 0__o
Well, that's weird. We found it on the dutch version of the Wacom site I think. But it wasn't really a shop, it was just someone's house full of wacom tablets to sell and try out.
DamaiMikaz Featured By Owner Jan 18, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Hmm... I bought my first tablet a few years ago. I don't know if it excised back then? ^^
Well it's been about 4-5 years since I went there. :)
:iconjennyluco:
JennyLuco Featured By Owner Jan 20, 2013
Thanks for pointing that out, I've been very curious about how the Cintiq would work! :)

I even heard of someone trying out a cintiq at a Mediamarkt store in (I think) Utrecht..?
wezenbeesje Featured By Owner Jan 20, 2013  Professional General Artist
I have never been to the mediamarkt in Utrecht, so I wouldn't know! But there are always little homes with people who have one. :XD:
(1 Reply)
Not that I can find, however I have found a digital imaging convention instead and Wacom are going :]
DamaiMikaz Featured By Owner Jan 17, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Great! It doesn't really matter where... as long as you can try the thing out ^^
Totally, I'm looking forward to it. Thanks for the help :]
:iconayamikato:
AyamiKato Featured By Owner Jan 16, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I am not sure about trying before you buy, but as a Wacom Cintiq owner (17sx, soon upgrading to a 12wx), I can HIGHLY recommend going ahead and purchasing one!!! Like another deviant said, you can always sell it.

I can't imagine doing my digital art without my Cintiq. In fact, I wonder if I would even do digital art without one... I've been spoiled! I have the 17sx, which is one of the older models, and it has a wonderfully large screen. The only problem I have is that since it is an older model, I had to get port adapters, and it is clunky and kind of heavy.

However, my girlfriend has the 12wx, and that thing is magic. I had a chance to try it out the other day. I was concerned about drawing on a 12" screen after being used to a 17", but 12" is more than enough. It was so light, fits well in the lap, you can turn it like you do a sketchbook if you want to draw at an angle, stylus sensitivity is fantastic, great display... honestly, I have no complaints at all!!!

So, GO FOR IT! :D Enjoy!!!
Thanks! I'm really looking forward to it :D
:iconformasalala:
Formasalala Featured By Owner Jan 16, 2013
If you had a Mac,iPen2 seems OK.
[link]
[IMG][link]
Thanks, I'm on a PC though!
:iconluthertaylor:
LutherTaylor Featured By Owner Jan 16, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
totally didn't know you was based in the UK!!! won't ask where though. Personally, save that money, you don't need a cintiq, not at the moment, and especially not if you are just doing digital painting/illustration, double especially if you are doing it for a hobby at the moment, there was a store in london, that used to have one 12ux, which I had the chance to try a long time ago, before I was dead serious as I am now, so lacking in skill so to speak, but could still draw like a lil sketch and I also had a intuos I was content with. for the price it was, I wasn't sold on it at all. I vaguely remember trying to move at the speed that I would a pencil and it just didn't keep up at the speed I wanted. Intuos has no problem with that.

sometime last year when I wanted to create a quick comic, I found myself realising that for the creation of comics, it would perhaps be a god send, as I felt it would help with inking more quickly. I still hold that believe.

but in truth, I really don't need it at the moment. its just a want. what I NEED is stronger fundamentals. better skills, and a better understanding of what it is I am trying to do and accomplish when I sit to draw. that comes from practice. a lot of the pros didn't start off using a cintiq and didn't make a transition to cintiq til wayyy later when money probably become something less of a worry in their freelance career. your speed and confidence in line placement gets better with practice and correct study.

if I had the money for a cintiq, getting one wouldn't even cross my mind at this moment. If I could, I'd jump straight on this [link] or this [link]

but again those are just wants(breaching the line of need) but i already have a easel to take out to paint with.
what I need is better technique in my oils so that I can confidently go out with my easel and paint for all the world to see like a boss! lol

ANYWAY definitely recommend trying it though, and regardless of what I say, it's still more precise than a intuos. I may be passing by that shop again this week or next. If they have it I'll try it again and let you know. if you are based in london the shop was 'apple premium reseller' on New Oxford Street.

actually wait, just decided to go look at the site and lookie here! [link] :D give them a call!
Heya Luther! I'm based in Manchester, but I do frequent London so that might be a place to stop by on my next visit!

Your right about wether it's time to get one or not, I've had this internal battle for a while now. This coming June though, I'll be making the switch from hobbyist/university student to full time illustrator. Due to that, I really think it's time to take the plunge and really see if it can improve my process. I do sometimes feel as though I'm in accurate as I'm not watching the screen you know? It's hard to describe, but I'll only buy one in the future anyway!

Thanks for the huge comment :D
:iconluthertaylor:
LutherTaylor Featured By Owner Jan 17, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
sweet!! another artist taking the plunge into the never ending agony that is art development! :D lol you have my full support when the time comes!
you are correct about not feeling accurate, it's definitely not being able to see your hand movements that causes it. A mouse cursor can only give you so much information.
in that respect definitely a cintiq would help there, which in turn, increase your speed ;)

for me though, I feel it's knowing things like anatomy is what truly matters at the moment. i think pencil and paper allows you to wing it more and make happy mistakes that look like what you are trying to replicate where as it doesn't quite work with digital :(

or I could just be talking nonsense lol

I look forward to June! :)
You are totally right about learning the basics first, they are the most important things you should learn. I'm still in that process too, but I feel I'm at stage where my art can justify a tablet, or should I say my income does? I still practice on paper and so should everyone :D
:icontetchist:
Tetchist Featured By Owner Jan 16, 2013  Professional Digital Artist
buy it, and if you don't like it, sell it.

there are plenty of people out there who'd leap at the chance to buy a lightly-used cintiq, say for a discount of $50.
It may have to be my fall-back option. There is a trade show in Birmingham in March where Wacom are attending. I'll see if I can find out if they will be having any out!
:icontetchist:
Tetchist Featured By Owner Jan 16, 2013  Professional Digital Artist
that sounds like a really great way to not actually figure out if you should buy one or not. the wacom booth is going to be a free-standing advertisement with people on-hand to coddle and guide you towards thinking that the cintiq is the cat's meow. the only opinion you're going to have after you leave there is that they're worth the money.

think about it. what you've essentially said is, "I'm not sure if I should drink Coca-Cola. I'll go look at some Coca-Cola ads to decide." :la:
Nooo, they will actually have the models there. I just need to have ago, it won't bother me what they say of course they'll try to make me get one haha. I need to know the feel etc to see if it's right for me :]
:iconnyodra:
Nyodra Featured By Owner Jan 16, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
It is a pretty amazing piece of equipment. I don't think you'd be disappointed even if you buy it before trying! I know I'd really love to get my hands on one myself. Their website makes it out to be amazing, but I suppose that is what advertising is for. If you end up not being able to find a place to fiddle with one in person, maybe check out some review sites on it. I know a lot of people love to write about their experiences and I'm sure you could find a wide range of subject matter concerning them that can touch on many of your concerns. Let us know what you find and what you've decided to get! I'm curious as hell how it works :)
I've heard great reviews, I mean it's the best out there we all know that! But whether it's right for me I'll have to discover :]
:iconheavenhairsixes:
HeavenhairSixes Featured By Owner Jan 16, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Jessops stocked them and I know some stores had display models because that is where I got mine - but I think I might have heard they just went bust. KRCS are a distributor but I don't know if they have display models.

Probably not the greatest info but maybe a few places to google?
Add a Comment: