January 16, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 9

Brush flow in Photoshop?

:icondebureturns:
debureturns Featured By Owner Jan 16, 2013  Professional Digital Artist
Hello!

I've just been reading a Photoshop tutorial that discusses changing the opacity and flow settings of a brush. I know about opacity, but what does adjusting the flow do to the brush? Could someone help me out, please?

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconvariouslyvaried:
variouslyvaried Featured By Owner Jan 16, 2013   General Artist
Opacity alters the transparency while flow effects how the layer opacity fades between the various layers. Lets say you use a brush at 50% opacity, make identical yet seperate strokes. Then use the same brush at 50% opacity and go over one stroke at flow 100 and the other at 50. Youll see the first stroke with flow at 100 overlap the initial stroke and multiply the overlapped to nearly 100 opacity. If you then look at the second stroke with the flow at 50, you'll notice that the overlaped region is about 75% opacity. This is because you are inhibiting the flow, reducing the default multiplying esque effect. Ive used it almost exclusively with photo touch ups. Its hard to exactly explain but it is intended to be used it in conjunction with the opacity. Try using it at the extremes with each one to see the subtle difference.
I think that's my question answered, right there. An outstanding explanation - thank you, Nick! :D
:iconmatsuemon:
Matsuemon Featured By Owner Jan 16, 2013
Yah I've wondering about the flow as well. I've adjusted it before and it pretty much seems like adjusting the opacity, but there's probably something I'm missing.
:iconkaber13:
kaber13 Featured By Owner Jan 16, 2013  Professional Digital Artist
Adjusting the flow will control the length and to some extent the tapering of your strokes. I've read about adjusting the flow as well but have never realy tried it. I can see where it might be useful in painting charactes though.
Ah! Thank you for the heads-up. :D
:icongycinn:
Gycinn Featured By Owner Jan 16, 2013   Digital Artist
maybe you mean the direction of flow.
its under brush tip shape and there is a wheel with an arrow.
just turn it in the direction you want and customize the flow of the brush
:iconphotopops:
Photopops Featured By Owner Jan 16, 2013
There's some tutorials on YouTube that show how to draw with comic book style characters with a certain brush setting that tapers off the ends of the stroke.
Ahh! Danke schon for the explanation!
:icongycinn:
Gycinn Featured By Owner Jan 16, 2013   Digital Artist
Gern geschehen :)
Add a Comment: