Shop Mobile More Submit  Join Login

Closed to new replies
January 16, 2013

Replies: 6

Possibly a Newb Question - Making 'Perfect' Lines in GIMP?

TeddyTen Featured By Owner Jan 16, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
So, I'm messing around in GIMP when I decide to make some chibis. Granted, I'm not that good with tablet drawing, but I manage. Thing is, my hands shake due to a medical condition so, naturally, my lines are less than perfect. I'm slightly OCD, so I want my lines all smooth and neat, but I have no idea how.

Do I draw on a huge canvas and then scale it down upon completion?

Do I use the Paths tool? If so, I'm a bit dense as to how it works.

I know this is probably silly, but I do appreciate any advice from some more savvy deviants!

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

Mercury-Crowe Featured By Owner Jan 16, 2013  Professional Artisan Crafter
I've noticed gimp is a little funky when it comes to interpreting the tablet.

Drawing at a large size with smaller stokes may help.
TicklyRoach Featured By Owner Jan 16, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
There is a smooth curve option when you free hand draw, check that box and increase the weight (I think) of the lines, that will help a bit. Lower opacity, check "incremental" and go back and forth to gradually build lines. Working in a bigger scale helps too, but other than that I have to say GIMP isn't really great for making very smooth outlines (even using the bezier tool tends to be not so rewarding unfortunately, the lines come out a bit cruddy looking and you can usually tell when something has been inked in GIMP), it was actually one of the reasons I started doing entirely lineless art instead xD

Other than that I would recommend downloading the old openCanvas (google will help you), that's how I used to work my way around GIMP's cruddy lines.
pastelchu Featured By Owner Jan 16, 2013  Student Traditional Artist
In the tools options toolbox click "smooth stroke"
I've got that checked, but it's still kinda wonky :/
Ruwich Featured By Owner Jan 16, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I've used GIMP 2.6 before but only for a limited time, and when I drew there with a mouse...well...let's just say it probably looks worse than your lines ^^;

I guess using the curves, paths, and lines tool will do the trick. But Paint Tool SAI has a stabilizer tool to allow you to freely create smooth lines. You can find SAI on their official site for I think $70? or 80? Although you can also find it around the web for free, which is illegal.

I hope I helped...somehow~

Thanks! I'll play around and see what works :)
Add a Comment: