Shop More Submit  Join Login

Details

Closed to new replies
January 16, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 6

Possibly a Newb Question - Making 'Perfect' Lines in GIMP?

:iconteddyten:
TeddyTen Featured By Owner Jan 16, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
So, I'm messing around in GIMP when I decide to make some chibis. Granted, I'm not that good with tablet drawing, but I manage. Thing is, my hands shake due to a medical condition so, naturally, my lines are less than perfect. I'm slightly OCD, so I want my lines all smooth and neat, but I have no idea how.

Do I draw on a huge canvas and then scale it down upon completion?

Do I use the Paths tool? If so, I'm a bit dense as to how it works.

I know this is probably silly, but I do appreciate any advice from some more savvy deviants!

Cheers!

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconpuppy-dangerous:
puppy-dangerous Featured By Owner Jan 16, 2013  Professional Artisan Crafter
I've noticed gimp is a little funky when it comes to interpreting the tablet.

Drawing at a large size with smaller stokes may help.
:iconticklyroach:
TicklyRoach Featured By Owner Jan 16, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
There is a smooth curve option when you free hand draw, check that box and increase the weight (I think) of the lines, that will help a bit. Lower opacity, check "incremental" and go back and forth to gradually build lines. Working in a bigger scale helps too, but other than that I have to say GIMP isn't really great for making very smooth outlines (even using the bezier tool tends to be not so rewarding unfortunately, the lines come out a bit cruddy looking and you can usually tell when something has been inked in GIMP), it was actually one of the reasons I started doing entirely lineless art instead xD

Other than that I would recommend downloading the old openCanvas (google will help you), that's how I used to work my way around GIMP's cruddy lines.
:iconpastelchu:
pastelchu Featured By Owner Jan 16, 2013  Student Traditional Artist
In the tools options toolbox click "smooth stroke"
I've got that checked, but it's still kinda wonky :/
:iconruwich:
Ruwich Featured By Owner Jan 16, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I've used GIMP 2.6 before but only for a limited time, and when I drew there with a mouse...well...let's just say it probably looks worse than your lines ^^;

I guess using the curves, paths, and lines tool will do the trick. But Paint Tool SAI has a stabilizer tool to allow you to freely create smooth lines. You can find SAI on their official site for I think $70? or 80? Although you can also find it around the web for free, which is illegal.

I hope I helped...somehow~

:heart:Ruwich
Thanks! I'll play around and see what works :)
Add a Comment: