Closed to new replies
January 15, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 36

NEW TO DIGITAL ART

:iconquinn-s-art:
Quinn-S-Art Featured By Owner Jan 15, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
hi there i am just about to get my first tablet and i was wondering what program i should get to go with it(photoshop, sai, ect) something that will give me options...i think photoshop is like a couple hundred or something someone told me, so are there cheaper ones that are still good to start with, or should i just suck it up and get photoshop?(i do plan on getting them all later)

thank you :)

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconchristianb179:
christianb179 Featured By Owner Jan 16, 2013  Student Digital Artist
DEFINATELY PHOTOSHOP :DD trust me on this one, it can do almost everything that any other digital painting software can do and more i.e. if you need texture its easier to apply etc. AANNDD adobe is giving away cs2 for free so just use that :D
:iconcling17:
cling17 Featured By Owner Jan 16, 2013  Student Digital Artist
This deviation might be helpful in your decision of software:
[link]
Quinn-S-Art Featured By Owner Jan 16, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
thanks for the info, i have just decided to check out the free trials so i can make my own well informed choice :)
:iconkiwiliko:
kiwiliko Featured By Owner Jan 15, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
just in luck, a few days ago one of the people I was watching released a journal to spread the word around. Adobe has released it's photoshop cs2 out to public for free along with some of it's older versions of the programs. [link]
wow awesome
:iconcling17:
cling17 Featured By Owner Jan 16, 2013  Student Digital Artist
Actually, according to their staff, Adobe's original intention was to allow legitimate purchases of the software an activation, after they shut down their old activation servers. It's just that they removed any real barriers to obtaining a free copy, which is weird.

It technically shouldn't be legal to use these programs, but the news accidentally became so viral, and I believe Adobe still hasn't offered an official response.
thank you everyone for your help and advice XD but replying to everyone individually is getting a little repetitive so please dont think me rude :D you have all been most helpful, (please do not take this to mean i do not want further advice)

i would still like to know how to get more brushes in SAI XD
:iconkatie-chu:
Katie-chu Featured By Owner Jan 15, 2013
I will forever recommend SAI, but photoshop is better for drawing Pixels and for making transparent background... Good Luck then! :D
:iconcasm1:
casm1 Featured By Owner Jan 15, 2013  Student General Artist
Sai and Gimp are good, then there's also Photoshop (if you can find an older version), and a program called TwistedBrush, which I've noticed is quite good~ ^_^
:iconrainsoda:
RainSoda Featured By Owner Jan 15, 2013  Professional Digital Artist
i recommend Sai, its beautiful to sketch on, and their brushes are really something good! :] It is cheaper than Photoshop, also photoshop might be more confusing since it got way more opionions,tools, etc (: you can try trial on photoshop, and sai to check out what you like best (:

i started with photoshop, but now i am using Sai..i find it better while drawing, while photoshop is more for my photos.
But its seriously up to each person what they prefer :) just try it out..
thank you, i got the free trial of sai though and there are only a few brushes and a bunch of blank spaces...how do i get the rest?
:iconmunuci:
Munuci Featured By Owner Jan 16, 2013  Student General Artist
If you google for some SAI brushes I'm sure you'll find some. Though honestly I don't know how to fill those blank spaces, you can get, like, brush shapes I guess for the other existing brushes, though maybe some of them do fill those spaces, to be honest I don't know. Though I think the brushes you get (pen; brush; airbrush; water; marker; blur tool; etc) would be enough to experiment with for now, assuming you still have to get used to the whole digital experience and getting used to a tablet.
thanks they are enough i was just curious...it really just feels like drawing i wasnt expecting it to feel so natural (i got my tablet a couple hours ago)
Oh yeah it's really easy, though maybe a little slow at first, but yeah. :D
Also look into using Shortcuts. Ctrl/Cmd Z, of course, and then there's probably a bunch of shortcuts for the brushes and erasers and whatnot, the process will be lot quicker with shortcuts. :D
i am having one problem...i cant seem to post my completed piece here in DA...DA says two problems when i try to upload...1. that i am putting it in the wrong catagory cause its an unknown file type...but it says that for all catagories...and 2. it says i need to have a seperate picture for a thumbnail or something...idk...i am so bad with computers T.T
You'll have to save it as a .png or .jpeg file, it probably saves as a .sai file, which is comparable to a .psd file, with layers and all which isn't what you want when uploading it to sites.

So save it as .png (.jpeg is also an option, but when you use lineart it makes ugly looking pixels around those and it's just not working out)

That should solve the problem! :D
how do i do that? i am really dumb with computers
(1 Reply)
:iconsigmaeleven:
SigmaEleven Featured By Owner Jan 15, 2013  Student Digital Artist
For beginners, I would recommend SAI, as it has wonderful and powerful brushes
willing to aid in your quest to draw to the path of digital way.

That was too exaggerated. Okay. *cough*
Overall, SAI is not bad. It works terrific with linearts.
It has a easy to use UI, and a good tool for the beginners.
Watch out, though. It has no font options a.k.a no text.
:iconheavenhairsixes:
HeavenhairSixes Featured By Owner Jan 15, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
I started with GIMP - which is free and does the job fine. I have done plenty of nice things with it.

If you try it and it you think it is limiting you and you decide there is expensive software with features that would benefit you then you can always go down that route later. But it is probably better to start with something free or cheap and upgrade if you don't like it rather than spend a lot of money and risk being disappointed.

If you are asking for my personal opinion then I don't think photoshop is worth the money, especially for a beginner.
thank you, i will keep all of that in mind and check out gimp
Munuci Featured By Owner Jan 15, 2013  Student General Artist
If you're new to digital drawing I think SAI would be a good way to start, first off because it's much cheaper than Photoshop and it has a lot less options, which could be handy for you to get used to first since you aren't overwhelmed with the hundreds of options Photoshop has. Besides, SAI seems to be more for just drawing rather than the editing options Photoshop has. And it's pretty easy to use and get used to. Though of course, if you're to start using Photoshop and be persistent with it you'll get used to it, too.

There's also Gimp, but I haven't really used it myself (and at the same time don't really like it, but that's probably because I haven't used it and don't know how to work it lol~) I'd say though that Gimp is probably right in between Photoshop and SAI, I think, I can't guarantee you that. It has more options than SAI but less than Photoshop.

But anyway, I'd say try the 30 day trial of SAI out, just google Painttool SAI and you'll find the site/download link. Maybe you could even try a Photoshop trial out to see if you like that.

Hope this is helpful at all~
thanks i did not know there were free trials i will check out both :) and gimp
Munuci Featured By Owner Jan 15, 2013  Student General Artist
Glad I could help! :D
:iconself-epidemic:
Self-Epidemic Featured By Owner Jan 15, 2013  Professional Digital Artist
It really doesn't matter, the program isn't going to make you a wonderful artist, or a bad artist. Sit down and learn the basics, anatomy, etc, and when you transfer to digital art you'll settle quite quickly :)
yes i know that (and while i am not a great artist i do know how to draw, thats not what i meant) i just mean what options it has cause i always hear "you cant do this in sai" and "photoshop isnt good for that" ect. and how easy it is to use and stuff...basicly what program would you recommend for beginers
:iconself-epidemic:
Self-Epidemic Featured By Owner Jan 17, 2013  Professional Digital Artist
I would say photoshop, but I am biased.
:iconarkazain:
arkazain Featured By Owner Jan 15, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Basically what Self-Epidemic said, the software is really mostly preference, so I'd say try both! Most of the stuff that PS has over SAI is mostly useless filters and stuff that are more aimed at photographers and graphics designers :)

I personally prefer SAI because its brushes feel more natural, but as I said, you should definitely try both!
thank you i will try photoshop later, now i am trying sai, and its really cool, but i can't figure out how to get more brushes
:iconarkazain:
arkazain Featured By Owner Jan 16, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
What kind of brushes are you talking about?
hehe dont really know,,,buy there are only like 5 or 6 of them here so i figure there must be more? am i wrong?
:iconstipend:
stipend Featured By Owner Jan 16, 2013   General Artist
photoshop has a preset brush folder you can put them in under the program's folder :) (i don't know your os, you'll find it if you dig) ;)
:iconstipend:
stipend Featured By Owner Jan 16, 2013   General Artist
my bad, you're talking sai, which i don't use :(
Add a Comment: