Closed to new replies
January 14, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 9

Landscapes.

:iconkeepitfresh1113:
Keepitfresh1113 Jan 14, 2013  Student Digital Artist
Hi, I was wondering if anyone could give any advice on the type of studies they do or did that helped them drastically improve on landscapes and the elements of landscapes. I find it so hard to paint things like trees, water, rock textures, clouds, fire and such. The more I practice these, the more I learn, I know theres no real trick, but Im sure there are more efficient ways to focus and learn faster. What worked for you? Was there a certain book or tutorials you know about that helped? Were there certain type of studies you did that helped more like Ive had someone suggest texture spheres.

I really dont want to use custom brushes for my practice, at least not at this stage. I dont have naything against custom brushes, but I want to know how to do it myself with the simplest of brushes like a regular round. Idk, Ive always felt that custom brushes are shortcuts and time savers, of course you still have to know how to use them, but I dont want to be dependent on them to make something use nice. I only want to use them after Ive learned how to do it create it myself without aid and only use them for time savers. Thanks in advance! Im not new to deviant, Ive had an account for a while, but only recently started using it to post art. I just used it to look at others art and I havent been drawing long so any help would be appreciated!

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconhabla-babla:
habla-babla Jan 16, 2013  Professional Digital Artist
I would suggest trying to just start simple and worry about details later. First focus on drawing the background, midground, and foreground shapes. Once you create a good sense of depth then maybe focus on details like trees & clouds etc. I find the same helps me when drawings characters also.. first focus on interesting shapes/silhouettes and worry about details later.
:icongordieb65:
gordieb65 Jan 15, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Every painting I do... I learn a bit more. I too don't use any custom brushes. I'm trying to paint with oil on a computer screen I guess. I just use a round brush and change opacity and density for the most part. practice practice practice is right.
:iconachipps:
achipps Jan 15, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
The main thing about drawing anything is knowing the subject very well.

If you want to learn how to draw one kind of tree you need to study it, but start in a distance so you learn the basic look without a lot of details, just its basic growth pattern, colors, and effects like lighting, seasons, and weather.

You will need to practice drawing it a lot to know what pattern and brushes looks best.

Here is a drawing I worked on to quickly do patterns. I started with drawing grass with brush strokes as a pattern for grass. I did some moss, tree bark, leaves on the ground with just stroke patterns to make it look right. It don't take long after you know what looks right, but that takes practice, with a lot of trial and error. You need to learn many ways that don't look right just to find the one that looks great. And it develops the skills to move in odd patterns that do look right.

After you know a lot of patterns you can create things that look great in a sketch that looks finished, because it will be that easy.
So, start with something you know you need in a scene like mountains and trees, and start to learn the basics of drawing them.
:iconchronos-kun:
Chronos-Kun Jan 14, 2013  Student Digital Artist
Pick interesting locations, sit, and then draw or paint them. Also, if you have a camera, take pictures of locations in interesting angles and at multiple zooms. Not saying you have to recreate a photo, but locational photography can help greatly with how to map out objects in a compositions, cropping/framing, depth of field, and lighting when it comes to landscapes. Look at your photo and find these things. This will build your eye and technical execution.
:iconvineris:
Vineris Jan 14, 2013  Professional Traditional Artist
I do a lot of sketching outdoors. No tutorial is a substitute for real experience. It's tougher with a laptop than a sketchbook, but not impossible.
:iconself-epidemic:
Self-Epidemic Jan 14, 2013  Professional Digital Artist
Do some traditional sketches and digital, do some really detailed work, some rough sketches, you'll get there, you just have to take it step by step!
:iconhappyhyperharo:
HappyHyperHaro Jan 14, 2013  Student General Artist
I've struggled with this a lot as well, what I've tried is to start painting abstractly by laying colors down then going through and refining objects with highlights and shadows. I think I'll start one now, I haven't really ever done a heavily landscape based painting. I'm always so amazed by Bob Ross, well still I should say. It's good advice to just keep practicing that one thing until you're good at it or confident at it I should say, that's what I did with painting noses.
:iconkeepitfresh1113:
Keepitfresh1113 Jan 14, 2013  Student Digital Artist
Thanks! Do you use custom brushes at all when you do speed paints?
:iconholly-mellor:
Holly-Mellor Jan 14, 2013  Professional Digital Artist
Heya, the best thing to do is focus on them only. If it's trees you struggle with study some trees!

As for landscapes as a whole, speedpaints can be a great way to develop composition and colour layout :). Good luck!
Add a Comment: