Shop More Submit  Join Login

Details

Closed to new replies
January 12, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 51

Color differences between screens, anyone else have this problem?

:iconthetriforcebearer:
thetriforcebearer Featured By Owner Jan 12, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
So I use two computer screens for my work and I notice that the screens depict two different colors. No matter how much I tamper with the two screens settings it never seems to work. The second problem is... WHICH ONE HAS THE CORRECT COLORS??

Here is a link to what I am talking about [link]

I just wanted to know peoples thoughts on the subject and if you guys knew any way to solve it.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:icontherebornace:
TheRebornAce Featured By Owner Jan 17, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
ugh, i have the same problem. its annoying and the only advice i can give you is by using whatever device was most recent. for example, my laptop is a Dell 2200 (1999-2000) while my main desktop computer is a Dell 8300 (i think; some model made in 2012). so i refer to the main desktop for color and use my laptop just to complete the drawing...
:iconmrbonecracker:
MrBonecracker Featured By Owner Jan 17, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Amoled screens are the worst.
:iconthetriforcebearer:
thetriforcebearer Featured By Owner Jan 16, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Goodness I wasn't expecting so much feedback. While I may not be the most technically savvy person on the planet I understand what most of you are saying at least with tampering screen settings and gamuts.

I have to thank you all for such an overwhelming amount of responses
:iconcling17:
cling17 Featured By Owner Jan 16, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
It is a heartbreaking reality that everyone's computer monitors are somewhat different.
You can tweak your monitors for something more accurate, but if you're distributing your art digitally, everyone's monitors will still be different.

The only way to have an undeniably fixed colour scheme is to print your work. It's noteworthy to mention though that printers, being CMYK, have some difficulty reproducing some colours on a monitor. Your monitor calibration might also be way off from the printer, so you might need to do some tweaking to get the intended look.
:iconhabla-babla:
habla-babla Featured By Owner Jan 16, 2013  Professional Digital Artist
Ugh Ive had the same problem. I didnt realize how crazy bright my screen was until i started getting stuff printed off lol. I think it helps to get a colored printing you made and compare it to the screen. Or maybe use an ipad screen as a reference? Never tried any of those calibration devices but if it becomes a big problem Id consider it.
:iconurus-28:
Urus-28 Featured By Owner Jan 15, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
The problems comes from screen internal calibration, you can have the same kind of problem with two identical screens.
The only efficient way to correct the problem is to invest in a calibration probe like an Eye one Display or similar device.
And even with that kind of device you can still need further adjustments because you will have difference in the luminous flux of your screen.
:iconmondu:
mondu Featured By Owner Jan 14, 2013
I've encountered the problem.

My old monitor was pretty dark. As a result, what colors I thought were very subtle, weren't.

In contrast, my new monitor is very bright.

There are various software to calibrate monitors. However, it isn't a perfect fix. Even if you manage to fix your monitor, you won't be able to fix EVERYONE's monitor -- they will still look different to another viewer. So, don't worry about it.
:iconnarutokunobessed:
narutokunobessed Featured By Owner Jan 14, 2013  Student General Artist
Ive got alwasy this problem with computer and its pretty much the same as everyone else, says.

The best thing you can do is calibrate your monitor using tests (which is cheap but not the best result).
Or using a tool that will do it automatically (costs money to do it but a better result).

But even with that calibration, you still will not have the same colors on the screen.

In a lesson with digital art, its why in concept art also, they print the picture out. Thats shows how much you need to calibrate your monitor. So yea, I feel the best thing is to calibrate to your printer or close to it, since in the end, it might be printed.

Or also you can just get a mac monitor. The colors are more correct, don't have a gradient on the screen when view in different directions, etc.
:icondamaimikaz:
DamaiMikaz Featured By Owner Jan 14, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
You have 2 different monitors. There's no way they're ever going to have exactly the same colors.
The best thing you can do is using a calibration tool on both of the 2 screens... but even then colors probably won't be exactly the same
:iconlumographia:
lumographia Featured By Owner Jan 14, 2013
The problem here seems to be colour gamut. Laptop panels in general are produced with lower gamuts than desktop panels to keep costs down. It doesn't seem that there are two different hues on each of your screens, but that the one on the left (a laptop I think) is less saturated than the one on the right. Using a colorimeter to calibrate your screens would not make them more uniform as the one on the left is simply incapable of displaying as many colours with the same saturation as the one on the right.

Basically, there are two gamuts that graphics professionals need to worry about: sRGB and Adobe RGB. Adobe RGB is basically for professional photographers and sRGB is for everyone else. Unless you're doing extremely colour critical photographic work, don't even worry about Adobe RGB (which is almost exactly the same as sRGB except that it has a large green colour space - the blues and red are pretty much identical). What you're looking for is a display that can show 100% (or close to it) of sRGB. You're not going to get that in most Windows laptops or in less expensive ($100-$200) desktop monitors. You don't need to spend a fortune, though, either.

If you're not opposed to Macs, every MacBook Pro since 2009 has a display that shows about 99% of sRGB for very accurate colours. Notice I said MacBook Pro and not MacBook Air or the now discontinued white MacBook. Those displays are like Windows laptop displays and only show about 60-70% sRGB to save costs. You could buy a 13" MacBook Pro for a very accurate display and great portability (4.5lbs including the small power brick which you don't need to carry anyway because the battery lasts all day), and then plug that into a desktop monitor when at home for more screen real-estate. The 13" base model is not that expensive. And don't listen to people who tell you that it doesn't have a dedicated graphics card and that you need one for Photoshop work. Photoshop is much more CPU dependent than GPU, so unless you're working with 3D applications a dedicated graphics card is unnecessary. If you definitely need a dedicated graphics card for gaming you could get the 15" MacBook Pro, which is only 1lb heavier and considerably more powerful. There's also the new Retina MacBook Pros which have much better screens (not because they're high resolution but because they're IPS panels) but most people would agree that they're a bit over-priced right now, and future updates will be less expensive. If you're more into Windows as most people are, Samsung makes the best (in my opinion) regular laptop displays (regular meaning no oLED, no IPS) and their laptops are very well made and quite capable of running Photoshop and any other graphics software you may use.

As for the argument that it doesn't matter whether your screen can display accurate colours because people are going to be looking at your art on a variety of screens, most of which are also incapable of displaying accurate colours, that doesn't actually hold up. Technology is improving, and in a few years most people are going to be using very accurate screens because they'll be much less expensive to produce. So, unless you don't expect your art to last for more than a few years, you should probably use the most accurate display you can get right now so that in the future people will see the colours that you actually want them to see. Hope that helps.
Add a Comment: