Closed to new replies
January 11, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 30

Animating in photoshop.

:iconladykuki:
LadyKuki Featured By Owner Jan 11, 2013  Student General Artist
How does one animate in Photoshop? Unlike GIMP, I find it kind of hard to animate in this program. You guys may be wondering: "Why aren't you using GIMP then?" It's because I'm making pixel icons and for some reason, if you were to animate an avatar with more than seven frames, then it would be considered to big of a file to be uploaded on deviantART. (If you animate pixel icons using GIMP) So, I'm wondering if anyone is willing to give me some straightforward tutorials on this, because majority of the tutorials on this subject matter isn't specific enough for me. ^^;

Or maybe give me some advice on how to make pixel icon animations on GIMP without having to stick with the 7-frame limit. :aww: That would also be nice.

Thanks in advance.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconachipps:
achipps Featured By Owner Jan 12, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
This is the avatar limits.

The dimensions must be exactly 50x50 pixels and no more than 15kb

So if the size in not 50x50 pixels, it will not load. If the file size is bigger than 15kb then it will not load.

Here are ways to make a gif file use less;

Color pallet get saved with the images, so using less colors can help.

Don't use Dither.

Adjust the compression to it is more lossy with out it looking too bad.

Don't use Interlacing.
LadyKuki Featured By Owner Jan 12, 2013  Student General Artist
Thanks a lot! I'll keep that in mind! :D
:iconhedwards:
hedwards Featured By Owner Jan 12, 2013
Hmm, are you sure that your compression settings are correct? This sounds like you're using a non-optimal setting there resulting in larger filesize.
No... now that you tell me this, I don't think so... :stare:

Could you tell me how to fix it, please?
:iconhedwards:
hedwards Featured By Owner Jan 12, 2013
I haven't done this in years. I haven't needed to use .gifs in that long. But, when you export the image as a .gif you'll get a screen with options on it. You'll probably need to experiment as I'm really not sure which ones are going to be worth using, but the compression slider starts at 9 by default, sliding it down to 4 or 5 is probably a good place to start.
Alright. Thanks a lot! ;)
:iconnarutokunobessed:
narutokunobessed Featured By Owner Jan 12, 2013  Student General Artist
Thanks for the video!
:iconlittlesardines:
LittleSardines Featured By Owner Jan 11, 2013  Professional Filmographer
Your post reminded me that I made a tutorial on this subject a while back! =)

[link] <- Hopefully it helps you out! :heart:
Thanks haha. I'll check it out later. :D
:iconporto881:
Porto881 Featured By Owner Jan 11, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I'll try to teach you how to animate as best as I can :0

1. Go to Windows and Click Animations (just making sure you know this part :b)
2. To add frames, click the little square between the trash can icon and the weird bead string looking thing. To delete them, just select and click the trash can (duh)
3. To change the duration of a frame, select it and click the pull down under it (should say '0 sec.') and select a time. To input your own time, hit other.
4. Now, for each frame change, I suggest you use different layers to distinguish the motions. Say you wanna make a person walking; you can have one layer for the body that is always visible and x many different layers for the movements of the legs. If you want a layer to be visible or invisible in a specific frame, just hide it or un-hide it with the little eyeball button thing.

That's all I can really think of... although I'm not the best teacher :s if you have questions, just ask!
Thanks but... one problem. :XD: How do you necessarily change the next frame? Like it says "duplicate selected frame" right? It only copies the first frame, so how do I add different frames?

Also, I imported this icon file from MS Paint to Photoshop, so any clue on how to do it from there? :)
well, duplicating the frame is essentially just adding a new frame. You just have to change the new frame to be the next in the motion.

Importing from MS Paint shouldn't really change anything, just make sure to use layers when you're drawing out the animations :b Oh and when you're done, click Save for Web and Devices, not just Save As.
Ah... still confusing... just a bit. Haha, but I'll figure this one out. I'm no quitter. =P

I'm aware about that though. :XD: Thanks!
Don't worry, I understand. I'm a really visual learner so usually I look to videos or demonstrations :b Have you tried that?
No... not yet, but I'll try. :XD: I'm not sure how I learn, really. Sometimes I learn through pictures, other times I learn through words. =P
Don't worry, you'll figure it all out :b Good luck c:
Thanks pal! :D
:iconscyoni:
Scyoni Featured By Owner Jan 11, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
I've done non-pixel animations in the gimp before with more than 7 frames. O.o how exactly are you approaching this? Maybe you're saving the quality too high?
Well... I mean by pixel avatars that can be used on deviantART. I always save them as a .GIF file, and if I were to upload(use) an icon that has more than seven frames, then it says that the file is too big to be used as an icon. Make any sense to you? :O

Animations, pixel or not I can upload, regardless of frames since they're not deviantART avatars, they're just animations. =P
:iconscyoni:
Scyoni Featured By Owner Jan 11, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
Ahhh. xD Well then I can't offer much assistance, but I hope you figure out how to do it. Your current icon is adorable, by the way! Lots of detail for a pixel icon.
Haha well at least you tried. Thanks. :XD:

Thanks a lot, lol. Referenced the heck out with this one. =P
:icontetchist:
Tetchist Featured By Owner Jan 11, 2013  Professional Digital Artist
7 frames seems an awfully strange limit. I've made animations consisting of 150+ frames in photoshop before...what's the deal?
I meant in GIMP, not in Photoshop. When I animate icons in GIMP, I can only use up to seven frames until I upload it on deviantART as an icon. It then says that the file is too big.... so yeah. I'm just asking how do you animate in photoshop, since I'm still a bit of a photoshop newbie. I went from GIMP to Photoshop since I figured Photoshop wouldn't have a seven frame animation limit if that makes any sense. ^^;
no, I understand that. my question is: why does GIMP limit you to 7 frames?
I have no idea to be honest. :shrug: It just does. Maybe it's my method of pixeling that does it.
I have a suspicion that you can animate for longer than 7 frames in GIMP if you figure out why it's doing that.
Me too... but the thing is I don't know what's going on, which is exactly why I'm asking for help. :hmm:

Again.. it probably has something to do with my pixeling method... <.<

Thanks for the help though. :O
Tetchist Featured By Owner Jan 12, 2013  Professional Digital Artist
I'm just trying to save you the aggravation of switching to an entirely different program to do something so simple.
Oh yes... and not to be bumping the thread, but I have Photoshop CS5 just in case you all are wondering.
Add a Comment: