Closed to new replies
January 10, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 63

My digital art tips (photoshop) / AMA

:iconstraightx:
straightx Featured By Owner Jan 10, 2013  Student Digital Artist
Hope this will help some of you out there! Also my apologizes that these are photoshop specific.

I find that lots of digital artist struggle with muddy values when doing full renderings. I find that the biggest factor to this lies under shape dynamics. In some cases it's better to just turn it off but if you're like me and still want it on. Change the minimum diameter to something like 40%. This will help a lot with blending. Next many digital artist talk about how hard it is to sketch in photoshop. I found that turning off opacity jitter and leaving on flow jitter creates better sketches.

Now I might sound like a nobody but if anyone has any questions I'll be more than happy to answer them.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconexochronos:
ExoChronos Featured By Owner Jan 13, 2013   Digital Artist
I would also recommend ctrl+paint and the blog "Muddy colors" (Alongside people already mentioning IFX and CA.org.) These places are an amazing resource for digital painting.

You have to dig too, but youtube can provide some good results.
:iconbrandongroce123:
brandongroce123 Featured By Owner Jan 11, 2013  Student Digital Artist
dammm Self-Epidemic why are u so angry? He's just offering his help, and you blown him up? He is just trying to be nice and help, regardless of his experience he has something to offer people that don't know anything. Your just honestly being rude.
:iconmatsuemon:
Matsuemon Featured By Owner Jan 13, 2013
The answer, I'm afraid, is simple. Self-Epidemic is an angry, insecure, immature child who must drag others down to make herself feel better. Probably also loves the attention, which is why she keeps flaming forums like this. Bad attention is better than no attention. Obviously doesn't like herself much so can't stand seeing others not miserable. And the real funny part?? She has a donation button on her page!! WOW. We need to stop responding to this thread so she can go attack someone else.
:iconfriendlyhand:
FriendlyHand Featured By Owner Jan 10, 2013  Professional Digital Artist
Hi,

If you decide you would like to have this thread closed, You can contact a moderator in the help chat: [link] or the support desk: [link].
:iconphoenixleo:
phoenixleo Featured By Owner Jan 10, 2013
I may not know a lot of shape dynamics, since I don't have a tablet to see how it actually works but even if it is set to a low number, I see no reason how it affects anything to have muddy colours. Some could be intentionally using a 'muddy' palette and while it might feel like it's toned down, it will have a different look and feel to it and might as well be striking in the way it is seen related to other colours and have some bright colours as focal point. And when I did sketch or flesh out anything in photoshop without using any scans, a normal round brush or any other brush does it well to get the basics in. There's no need to even try out any opacity jitters.
:iconkaber13:
kaber13 Featured By Owner Jan 10, 2013  Professional Digital Artist
I've been working in photoshop for about 10 years. DIgital painting for about 6 years. I'm fairly knowledgable but I still have a long way to go in regards to painting. Especially since I've had no formal training. I constantly push to learn and hone my craft by searching out tutorials online and studying others work. I offer advice when asked and critique when I can. I direct to other forums like CA.org, pixlebrush and imaginefx.com so others can learn from the masters as well.

I appreciate your enthusiasem and one can learn much from critiquing others works but do not think you are yet worthy of teaching others a better way. There are many different styles and ways of working and while some are better than others there is still more than one way.

That said your instruction is vauge. You talk of muddy values. Shape dynamics has little to do with values. Opacity might but values are not a function of photoshop but of basic painting education. Others explain it so much better than I. See [link] for instance.
:iconageen:
Ageen Featured By Owner Jan 10, 2013  Student Digital Artist
Wow, I see some strong reactions here.
I think it's acctually good that you're exploring program's options and sharing what suits you. I feel like sometimes even the very best and in all ways great deviants forget that the site is for everybody.
:iconself-epidemic:
Self-Epidemic Featured By Owner Jan 10, 2013  Professional Digital Artist
Perhaps you should see it from a beginners point of view, you come in here asking for help, he says sure! Then he tells you to use the smudge tool, instead of sitting them down ( not literally, ofc ) and explaining light, reflective light, depth, form, shape, anatomy, without those key elements, all he is doing is teaching them a bad technique, That is bad. It is NOT a good thing to show a beginner.

If he actually wanted to help, he could go into the thumbshare and say "do any of you want a critique". Much better, this, is ignorant and self righteous.
:iconageen:
Ageen Featured By Owner Jan 10, 2013  Student Digital Artist
I can tell how this is wrong in a way, but I am a fan of expresing an opinion in a way that leaves no one offended in any way.

No he knows there was another way to do things :)
:icontetchist:
Tetchist Featured By Owner Jan 10, 2013  Professional Digital Artist
"I am a fan of expresing an opinion in a way that leaves no one offended in any way."

lol
Add a Comment: