Replies: 14

Photoshop CS4 keeps crashing!!!

:iconayamikato:
AyamiKato Featured By Owner Jan 9, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Photoshop CS4
Windows XP Home Edition, Version 2002, Service Pack 3
Pentium 4 CPU 3.00GHz
2.99 GHz, 2.00 GB RAM

I'm not the most computer-savvy person, so bear with me. :)

Every single time I am working in Photoshop CS4, my computer will freeze at random and I have to do a hard reboot. My computer will not respond to the mouse or keyboard. Sometimes I can paint for an hour without it freezing, sometimes just a few minutes. However, I have been noticing that it is now crashing more frequently.

I've been having this issue for such a long time and I am getting to the point where I'm wanting to rip my hair out. If anyone has any suggestions, I would appreciate it, but I imagine I may need a new computer.

The computer I am using is one a friend gave to me. It was custom built by some guy he worked with that built computers... or something. I dunno. Point is, I don't know much about it, so I don't know what all the specs are.

Originally, the computer worked fine for a year or two without any issues. Earlier last year, maybe around March or so, I was having the same issue I am having now, and eventually that led to the blue screen of death. My boss at the time, who occasionally fixes computers, offered to take a look at it. He said it needed a new hard-drive and he put one in. It worked fine for a couple of months, but now it is crashing again.

The only program I have ever installed on this computer is Photoshop CS4. It doesn't even have internet access because the wireless card is shot. I was thinking maybe it has something to do with brushes that I've downloaded. I've read that they can cause issues with RAM or something.

I have no idea. It is way past annoying and I hate that I have to save constantly, and even then, files become corrupted. Any ideas, tips, suggestions?

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconmattcombsart:
MattCombsArt Featured By Owner Jan 19, 2013
do you notice your computer being hot when it crashes? or notice a lot of heat coming from the computer in general?

i also think you should invest in more memory 2g isnt enough for photoshop and the huge file sizes you work with time to time, id aim for at least 8gs of memory.

Also when it crashes are you getting any error messages that pop up in photoshop? or does it just freeze with no error messages?
AyamiKato Featured By Owner Jan 20, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I'll see what I can do regarding more memory.

It just freezes with no error messages. The whole computer locks up. I can't even use my mouse or do a ctrl+alt+ del. :(
:iconakiratang:
Akiratang Featured By Owner Jan 10, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
i think its your hardware, 2gb of ram if not gonna make it =(
AyamiKato Featured By Owner Jan 16, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
In the end, that is most likely a huge part of the problem!
:iconfriendlyhand:
FriendlyHand Featured By Owner Jan 10, 2013  Professional Digital Artist
There are a few simple things that non-computery people can check.

(don't open the case or touch the inside of the computer with it turned on or plugged in)

1) determine if the ventilation fans are turning when the computer is on. You should be able to hear them
2) check for dust blocking or clogging the vent on the back of the computer where the power supply fan is. you can buy a can of compressed air at any office supply store to gently blow dust out of the case (If you blow it on the fans, very gently hold the fan blades in place while blowing the dust away, because forcing the fan to spin may damage the bearings)
3) Make sure your computer is somewhere open with plenty of room for air circulation around the case.
4) If you have pets, pet hair can collect on and around the various fans preventing them from cooling the computer properly.
5) It's probably better not to have your computer on on near the floor where more dust and dirt tend to gather
6) If your computer case feels very warm, that might indicate a heat problem.
7) don't run more than one program at a time if you are experiencing crashes or lock ups.

smaller files and fewer layers may help reduce the strain on your computer.
Haha... well, I'm bright enough to know not to open/touch the inside while plugged in. ;)

1. Yep, the fans are turning, though they were dusty. I took some canned air and cleaned the inside out very well.
3. Yep, it has lots of "elbow" room!
7. That was the biggest problem. Since it isn't connected to the internet, and all files are scanned before going on my flash drive, I disabled my anti-virus from starting up, as well as any program that I don't use. There weren't many programs to disable since nothing much is installed on there, but it was a HUGE help! I got HOURS of drawing time each day this week!

Fewer layers... time for a new computer! I have so many layers on my art.

Thanks so much!!!
:iconfriendlyhand:
FriendlyHand Featured By Owner Jan 17, 2013  Professional Digital Artist
You're very welcome!

I just remembered another one:
8)Defragment your hard drive! start menu>All Programs>accessories>system tools>disk defragmenter
AyamiKato Featured By Owner Jan 20, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Did that and it was a help :)
:iconvineris:
Vineris Featured By Owner Jan 10, 2013  Professional Traditional Artist
It sounds like a hardware problem. Go take your computer in and have a computer-savvy person check it out. Since you don't know much about computers, your guesses are going to be kinda random and that's no way to get anything solved.

"He said it needed a new hard-drive and he put one in. It worked fine for a couple of months, but now it is crashing again. "

Well, yeah. This is like saying "I had a bike, it got a flat tire, a friend helped me change the tire and now a few months later my bike is having problems again." Nothing says that replacing one component is going to make your machine work forever. Stuff breaks. It might even be the new hard drive, new components can be wonky too. Go take it in and get it fixed. You can do some diagnostics yourself but it's a giant pain in the butt for someone not used to dealing with hardware.
I never said I was going to fix it myself, but just wanting suggestions in case there might be an easier solution I was overlooking. :) And yeah, of course replacing one part of the computer isn't going to be a magic fix. I was just stating that I had a new hard-drive put in so maybe others would think that might not be the most likely problem...

I disabled some programs from starting up when my computer boots up or running in the background. Since it isn't connected to the internet, and all files are scanned before going onto my flash drive, I disabled my anti-virus. Now it's running much better and I can paint for hours without it acting up. :)

Still... it's time for a new computer. Well, new to me. I'll buy a used one that has plenty of life left, but it's previous owner got a new one or something.
Add a Comment: