Deviant Login Shop  Join deviantART for FREE Take the Tour

Details

Closed to new replies
January 9, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 24

Would this be considered cheating or being resourceful?

:icondnp101:
DNP101 Featured By Owner Jan 9, 2013  Student Filmographer
OK, i have been doing something different with my digital art.
To better capture poses for 2-D drawings i made a 3-D model and i use that model sort of like a digital mannequin. Anyways i was wondering if this would be considered cheating or being resourceful... I did make everything from scratch so..... I don't know :/

Oh and one other detail the 3-D model consist of basic geometric shapes (cube, sphere, and cylinder) I didn't want to fully model it...

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconhai-etlik:
Hai-Etlik Featured By Owner Jan 12, 2013
You can only cheat if there are rules and about the only rule that could be argued as holding universally is "don't lie". Don't claim you did work you didn't do, but if you are honest about how you did it there's nothing wrong. There will of course be opinionated idiots who will complain, but that's true whatever you do.
:iconhai-etlik:
Hai-Etlik Featured By Owner Jan 12, 2013
ps: I meant "universally in the context of creative work" Essentially a somewhat broadened form of "don't plagiarize".
:iconmatsuemon:
Matsuemon Featured By Owner Jan 12, 2013
LOTS of pro's do that exact same thing, DNP. It's not cheating at all, especially if you're under a time-constraint. For example, a lot of comic-artists use some kind of reference for poses or angles that are really out of the ordinary. It's just a matter of what you want to focus on. It could be a stepping stone to learning or you could use it when you need it if it's not a huge issue to be able to draw people from any position imaginable.
:iconfinkgraphics:
finkgraphics Featured By Owner Jan 12, 2013  Professional Digital Artist
If this is considered cheating then so is using a live model...

Just become you use reference doesn't mean the result is uninspired... It is what you do with the reference that counts.
:iconjdarnold2:
JDArnold2 Featured By Owner Jan 12, 2013   Digital Artist
I actually do sort of the same thing sometimes.
Essentially, when it comes to digital art, it helps to be like MacGyver; you have to use whatever resources are at hand to achieve your finished work.
:iconmattchee:
mattchee Featured By Owner Jan 11, 2013  Professional Digital Artist
Definitely NOT cheating. It's just creating and using reference material which is totally normal and acceptable. The fact that its reference material that you're creating yourself even makes it less cheating (if its possible to cheat less than not cheating at all).

The bottom line is, if you really want to get something right, then having something to reference is a good idea. I don't tell my accountant he's cheating if he uses a calculator!
:icondarkshadow7777:
DarkShadow7777 Featured By Owner Jan 11, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I found many people that does that and reccomends it, why won't you use it? I find it more like resourceful than cheating...
:iconharvisingh:
HarviSingh Featured By Owner Jan 11, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I'd say its being resourceful...There's nothing wrong with using references
:iconmad-shrewd:
mad-shrewd Featured By Owner Jan 11, 2013
In the short time it's fine, but as others have said you're really cheating yourself. Just about anybody can copy a photo, but taking a 3d form and reducing it to only 2d is a skill that anybody that claims to be a drawer needs.

If you're going to create models in 3d, you may as well just be a 3d modeler. (Not that there's anything wrong with that, it's just a different type of art)

But, if it allows you to perfect other skills like modelling or coloring, then it's perfectly fine, just be aware when you're no longer working on other aspects.
:iconstraightx:
straightx Featured By Owner Jan 11, 2013  Student Digital Artist
It's certainly not cheating but I would highly suggest just learning how to draw dynamic poses.
Add a Comment: