Shop Mobile More Submit  Join Login

Details

Closed to new replies
January 9, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 96

How long does it take you to finish a piece?

:iconviobear:
viobear Featured By Owner Jan 9, 2013  Student Digital Artist
How long does it usually take you guys (from concept to finish) to create a good piece?

Hours...Days...Just trying to get a rough picture of how much effort you guys are putting into your work.

Usually I am impatient and want to get a piece done faster than I should. To be honest it makes for sub par pieces. I am going to devote more time and try to become more patient this year in creating my work. Work harder on the concept to make sure everything else runs smoother.

Anyhow...looking forward to your answers!

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:icontoxicklaws:
ToxicKlaws Featured By Owner Jan 25, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
It all really depends on if I know where I want to go with a piece. If it's something simple like one of my character sheets it can take as little as 2 hours. For a more complicated piece, it can take anywhere from a few days to a year.
I stop alot and look at a piece with a fresh eye before just rushing into finishing it.
What I would suggest if you find yourself anxious to just complete a piece is to put it down and work on something else, a doodle or something. That way you can come back to the piece you were working on and possibly see something you want to enhance or to change.
:icondragonsong3:
Dragonsong3 Featured By Owner Jan 25, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Depends on how distracted I am :P
On a good day my timetable's like this;

1.) Watch Pewdiepie videos for inspiration- 1 hour
2.) Plan out the fna-art in my head- 0.5 hours
3.) Draw the line-art on pain and colour- 0.45 hours
4.) Draw background on Artweaver- 0.45 hours
5.) Add shading to my foreground- 0.20 hours
6.) Layer both peices together to finish it.

Check out my drawings to get a better picture xD
:icondinosauriomutante:
dinosauriomutante Featured By Owner Jan 24, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Mmmm...around 1-4 hours, it really depends on the drawing ewe.
:icon1uc4s:
1uc4s Featured By Owner Jan 24, 2013  Student General Artist
between 2 hours and 10 depending on what it is and if im going to bother trying
:iconpichoochoo:
Pichoochoo Featured By Owner Jan 24, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Um, I take about 1- 2 hours when I draw. The thing is; if i haven't finished a drawing by 2 hours; I usually take a break so that my eyes don't hurt. I don't rush my drawings; it's just that colouring doesn't take that long. I usually have a longer time with sketching. :icondenmarkplz:
:iconsheridan-j:
Sheridan-J Featured By Owner Jan 19, 2013  Professional Digital Artist
For me, about 10-30 hours on a portrait :) And I do it in about 2 or 3 sittings! (I can concentrate for a very long time haha)
:iconliquid-grievous:
Liquid-Grievous Featured By Owner Jan 19, 2013  Professional Digital Artist
If its complex 3D work...weeks! Ive been working on this one for months!!!! [link]

...still not done..haha! Time will always vary with diff people/ diff skillss and diff projects ^_^
:iconlehalogen:
LeHalogen Featured By Owner Jan 17, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
2-6 hours for simple illustrations
6-12 hours for complex ones.
:iconluchianguyen:
Luchianguyen Featured By Owner Jan 17, 2013  Student Digital Artist
Well, I've been trying to work on my foundations to improve on simple pieces before I do a really large and complicated piece. So my range is from 4 hours to 15 hours that would spread over 2-5 days. (; I'm crossing my fingers, hope I'll plan out a large project that'll take up to 30 hours.
:icondarue:
darue Featured By Owner Jan 17, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Probably a few hours - I think the longest I spent on a piece was maybe 6-7 hours.
This is spread across however many days it takes depending on what else life has goin' on for me - my newest piece took maybe 4 hours across three days since I'm on break, but I can go months working for like an hour or two here and there when I've got exams goin' on or something like that.
:iconrynkadraws:
RynkaDraws Featured By Owner Jan 17, 2013  Student Digital Artist
Depends on how finished I need it to look.
Sketches are done after 30 mins, while detailed work is closer to 4 hours. Rarely, when I need an extreme polish to a piece, I would take longer, but I find it hard to spend days on one work. I prefer to work fast and painterly.
:iconpocketbean:
pocketbean Featured By Owner Jan 17, 2013  Hobbyist
It's days for me. I usually have 2-3 drawings I'm working on and after drawing for an hour or two on one piece, I might just start working on the other piece. I get bored easily.
Most of the time I feel like I could just keep going, keep on adding things and details. So I usually just end up settling and thinking that I've already spent countless hours on this one, it's time to finish it up XD
I've given up on a drawing a couple of times as well, then maybe months or even a year later I find it in my folder at decide to keep on working on it and eventually finish it.
:iconhabla-babla:
habla-babla Featured By Owner Jan 16, 2013  Professional Digital Artist
Depends on the detail and size, is there a background, multiple objects etc. Some take 3-4 hours, others take days. i do think I work a little slow though or over analyze it a bit lol. Especially when choosing the colors. But its gotten a little better with time.
:iconquinn-s-art:
Quinn-S-Art Featured By Owner Jan 15, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
for my traditional work anywhere from 1 to 5 hours, though i can bust out a speed scetch in 10min and it doesnt look to bad...but i dont do a lot of detail...i will get back to you on digital, cause i am just begining
viobear Featured By Owner Jan 15, 2013  Student Digital Artist
Oolala
:iconrainsoda:
RainSoda Featured By Owner Jan 15, 2013  Professional Digital Artist
It depends what i'm drawing, but details i guess i can take up to 5-6hours c:
:icondamaimikaz:
DamaiMikaz Featured By Owner Jan 14, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I often make sketches in an hour or less.
But my more serious digital works often take days to make. I don't mind, though. I have limited drawing abilities with my arm anyway, so I've learned to be patient :)
viobear Featured By Owner Jan 14, 2013  Student Digital Artist
Whats wrong with your arm? If you don't mind me asking.
DamaiMikaz Featured By Owner Jan 14, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
A pretty heavy case of repetitive strain injury.
I had several inflammations on joins in wrists and elbow. And although my condition did get better than it was, it's still heavily damaged, and the damage is most probably permanent.
Man that sucks. Is it sort of like carpel tunnel syndrome?
DamaiMikaz Featured By Owner Jan 15, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I'm not sure, as I never experienced a carpal tunnel syndrome.
But as I can read, the feeling is a bit different, and there's no such thing as an operation that could help you recover. So I'd say it's not exactly the same.
:iconroxettethefox:
roxettethefox Featured By Owner Jan 13, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Usually about 4 hours... again, I have the feeling I don't try hard enough.
Lol I happen to think that's absolutely normal :D
:iconscyoni:
Scyoni Featured By Owner Jan 13, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
Pencil work - 20-30 mins.

CG - 3-8 hours.

It varies significantly depending on the detail of the subject, and this is only for drawing a character. If I have a background too it turns into 4-5 times as long.
:iconeitriarch:
Eitriarch Featured By Owner Jan 13, 2013   Digital Artist
If I'm only counting the actual hours I'm working on something, and not the breaks in between, probably about 2 to 6 hours, depending on complexity. Counting breaks though, I can usually finish a piece under a day's time.
:iconalantherobot:
AlanTheRobot Featured By Owner Jan 12, 2013
Traditional works might take me a maximum of 10 hours, usually just 5-7. I work for 1-3 hours at a time.

Digital works, believe it or not take more time, usually take me at least 15-20, and often more.

I work in huge 8-10 hour blocks were all I do is paint and just become completely absorbed until somebody snaps me out of it so I can eat. I've been trying to work at least once a week, but I used to only work maybe once a month so pieces would take forever. Sometimes I go crazy and work 3 days straight. It depends what mood I'm in.
:iconkatie-chu:
Katie-chu Featured By Owner Jan 12, 2013
hm... I usually don't take a long time but you can say my drawings are quite simple. 2-3 hours for a simple drawing, 4-5 for a little bit more complex one ;u;
:iconblackrosekane89:
Blackrosekane89 Featured By Owner Jan 12, 2013  Professional General Artist
Normally between 13-20 hours. Hair is a big determining factor for time for me.
viobear Featured By Owner Jan 12, 2013  Student Digital Artist
THE DREADED HAIR!
I have a love/hate relationship with hair. I love applying the technique. I find it fun, but after a while, it gets tiresome.

I just finished this earlier today The hair alone took me about 10 hours.
I think its awesome that you like doing hair. I still haven't become too comfortable to do hair, but your image is very good. So much colors :).
Thanks!
:iconmattcombsart:
MattCombsArt Featured By Owner Jan 12, 2013
depends on the digital painting but anywhere from 5hrs -20hrs, maybe 5-8 hrs a day if im working on something. then maybe 1-2 days on it. but it really depends on what im doing. More involved stuff takes longer.

traditional paintings, are more like 12-30hrs(depending on the size and what im doing again) and it will take me a week to do one, working on it for 4-8 hrs a day depending on how im feeling.
Yea I feel the more breaks you take in between, the better it will turn out.

Thanks for the response.
:iconmattcombsart:
MattCombsArt Featured By Owner Jan 12, 2013
np :) ya take breaks, its good to get away from it sometimes and come back with fresh eyes.
:iconzarryberry:
Zarryberry Featured By Owner Jan 12, 2013  Student General Artist
Really depends on the piece. If it's something more detailed, it can take me a few days. If it's more simplified & cartoony, usually a couple hours, though sometimes it's gone down to a half hour.
Yea I feel you.
:iconaliecko:
Aliecko Featured By Owner Jan 12, 2013
For me 4 hours per day.
:icontakemakei:
TakemaKei Featured By Owner Jan 12, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
i work on and off due to distractions, which i'm weak against. each day i am able to work around 3-4 hours i think and one picture will take me about a week.
i need to work faster and without distractions but this is hard nowadays.
I KNOW! So much things that can distract us.
:iconwizzdono:
WizzDono Featured By Owner Jan 11, 2013
I'm now doing a good one, I started this I think... wednesday? Maybe I'll be a speed drawer or something like this.
:iconhedwards:
hedwards Featured By Owner Jan 10, 2013
The last one I did was A5 sized and it took me well over an hour to complete. Cartoony with some coloring, but minimal shading. I think it would have taken even longer had I not been on deadline. It's shocking how long it takes to draw cartoons sometimes.

If I'm going extremely quickly I can do a page in about a half hour, but the results have no details or coloring.
viobear Featured By Owner Jan 10, 2013  Student Digital Artist
Yea you know its funny I ask this question and I remember my professor telling us about his friend and how he makes professional designs at about 3 hours each just pooping them out daily. He just sits at his desk at work and creates work so fast...and I don't know if I could believe it or no to be quite honest. He also mentioned that his friend is the guy who created the "He-Man and the Masters of the Universe" logo. Crazy.
:iconhedwards:
hedwards Featured By Owner Jan 11, 2013
That's practice and experience. If you're doing design work like that, it's mostly a matter of getting the idea. The capturing it won't take too long as a logo is something which should be simple.

I was surprised how long it took me to draw, just because the design isn't that complicated and I more or less already had it in mind when I started.
:iconurus-28:
Urus-28 Featured By Owner Jan 10, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Well it depends of the picture, it can go from 4 hours to 80 hours :shrug:
Mama mia
:iconurus-28:
Urus-28 Featured By Owner Jan 12, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I'm a slow worker :|
:D
:iconanante:
Anante Featured By Owner Jan 10, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
I work at the speed of a slug. :iconslowpokeplz: Personally, I feel my best work needed at the minimum 2 days for the entire process (sometimes lasting as long as two weeks) from concept to final details.
Speed of a slug! That's what its all about! I think its cool to have that PATIENCE.
Add a Comment: