Deviant Login Shop
 Join deviantART for FREE Take the Tour

Details

Closed to new replies
January 9, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 96

How long does it take you to finish a piece?

:iconviobear:
viobear Featured By Owner Jan 9, 2013  Student Digital Artist
How long does it usually take you guys (from concept to finish) to create a good piece?

Hours...Days...Just trying to get a rough picture of how much effort you guys are putting into your work.

Usually I am impatient and want to get a piece done faster than I should. To be honest it makes for sub par pieces. I am going to devote more time and try to become more patient this year in creating my work. Work harder on the concept to make sure everything else runs smoother.

Anyhow...looking forward to your answers!

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:icontoxicklaws:
ToxicKlaws Featured By Owner Jan 25, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
It all really depends on if I know where I want to go with a piece. If it's something simple like one of my character sheets it can take as little as 2 hours. For a more complicated piece, it can take anywhere from a few days to a year.
I stop alot and look at a piece with a fresh eye before just rushing into finishing it.
What I would suggest if you find yourself anxious to just complete a piece is to put it down and work on something else, a doodle or something. That way you can come back to the piece you were working on and possibly see something you want to enhance or to change.
:icondragonsong3:
Dragonsong3 Featured By Owner Jan 25, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Depends on how distracted I am :P
On a good day my timetable's like this;

1.) Watch Pewdiepie videos for inspiration- 1 hour
2.) Plan out the fna-art in my head- 0.5 hours
3.) Draw the line-art on pain and colour- 0.45 hours
4.) Draw background on Artweaver- 0.45 hours
5.) Add shading to my foreground- 0.20 hours
6.) Layer both peices together to finish it.

Check out my drawings to get a better picture xD
:icondinosauriomutante:
dinosauriomutante Featured By Owner Jan 24, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Mmmm...around 1-4 hours, it really depends on the drawing ewe.
:icon1uc4s:
1uc4s Featured By Owner Jan 24, 2013  Student General Artist
between 2 hours and 10 depending on what it is and if im going to bother trying
:iconpichoochoo:
Pichoochoo Featured By Owner Jan 24, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Um, I take about 1- 2 hours when I draw. The thing is; if i haven't finished a drawing by 2 hours; I usually take a break so that my eyes don't hurt. I don't rush my drawings; it's just that colouring doesn't take that long. I usually have a longer time with sketching. :icondenmarkplz:
:iconsheridan-j:
Sheridan-J Featured By Owner Jan 19, 2013  Professional Digital Artist
For me, about 10-30 hours on a portrait :) And I do it in about 2 or 3 sittings! (I can concentrate for a very long time haha)
:iconliquid-grievous:
Liquid-Grievous Featured By Owner Jan 19, 2013  Professional Digital Artist
If its complex 3D work...weeks! Ive been working on this one for months!!!! [link]

...still not done..haha! Time will always vary with diff people/ diff skillss and diff projects ^_^
:iconlehalogen:
LeHalogen Featured By Owner Jan 17, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
2-6 hours for simple illustrations
6-12 hours for complex ones.
:iconluchianguyen:
Luchianguyen Featured By Owner Jan 17, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Well, I've been trying to work on my foundations to improve on simple pieces before I do a really large and complicated piece. So my range is from 4 hours to 15 hours that would spread over 2-5 days. (; I'm crossing my fingers, hope I'll plan out a large project that'll take up to 30 hours.
:icondarue:
darue Featured By Owner Jan 17, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Probably a few hours - I think the longest I spent on a piece was maybe 6-7 hours.
This is spread across however many days it takes depending on what else life has goin' on for me - my newest piece took maybe 4 hours across three days since I'm on break, but I can go months working for like an hour or two here and there when I've got exams goin' on or something like that.
Add a Comment: