Deviant Login Shop
 Join deviantART for FREE Take the Tour

Details

Closed to new replies
January 9, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 19

How much would you pay me for a commission in money?

:iconzsayuri:
Zsayuri Featured By Owner Jan 9, 2013
I'd like to start money commissions but unsure about the price I should set for my skills level. Take a look at my gallery and tell how I should set my prices.

Devious Comments

:iconprocon-8:
procon-8 Featured By Owner Jan 13, 2013  Student Traditional Artist
When you are offering to commission your artwork, it is up to YOU to set your own prices. Like everyone on here already said, most people will just tell you $0-5.00.
Art is a business afterall.
:iconkafine:
kafine Featured By Owner Jan 11, 2013   General Artist
You're going to get a lot of people saying "$0" when you ask a question generally like this because most people (especially among artists who can do the work themselves) are just not interested in commissioning artists to begin with.

What you should be thinking of when you price your work is what is a fair price for what you put into it. So ignore insulting advice like charging $0-$5 for stuff that undoubtedly required an investment of your time and resources.

Make sure you're covering time spent, and you have a right to pay yourself minimum wage in your jurisdiction. Now yes, in evironments like DA there is little opportunity for much except quick cheap sketches because it's full of kids who don't have much money and don't know the value of it. So to avoid selling yourself short, come up with a type of work that you can knock out relatively quickly to keep your price down. Example; charging $10 an hour but your watchers think $20 is a fortune? (bless their socks) Don't spend any longer than two hours on the type of work you sell to that audience.

It's tempting to join the downward price spiral and think you have to beg for pennies, but ultimately this is bad for everyone concerned. There's no magic price at which a work will become saleable, yet decreasing the price increases audience perception that art is wortless. If you genuinley can't sell your work at a fair price, then instead of devoting your time to people who don't appreciate it, devote your time to working on your skills (both art techniques and marketing skills) untill you get to a place where you CAN sell your work fairly.
:iconageen:
Ageen Featured By Owner Jan 11, 2013  Student Digital Artist
I can't see many helpful answers here, unfortunately ._.
I like your art, although I think you may want to upload some more, so that the comissioner knows better what to expect. I like your gallery, but if you're just starting out with comissions I'd suggest price range between 0,5-6$, and then gradually rise them. It's better to get some more people interested for cheaper at first and then, eventually, gradually add to it.
Hope I helped :)
:iconstraightx:
straightx Featured By Owner Jan 11, 2013  Student Digital Artist
I would say 0 as well sorry.
:icontetchist:
Tetchist Featured By Owner Jan 9, 2013  Professional Digital Artist
$0, because I'm not personally interested in your art.
I wanted an advice for estabilishing my prices, not to know how interested are you in my art.
Tetchist Featured By Owner Jan 9, 2013  Professional Digital Artist
you literally asked "How much would you pay me for a commission", and I answered your question.
Did you read the rest of what I said?
Tetchist Featured By Owner Jan 10, 2013  Professional Digital Artist
I answered your question. what is the problem?
Zsayuri Featured By Owner Jan 10, 2013
Your answers is useless. The other user answered my question properly.
Add a Comment: