Closed to new replies
January 7, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 3

Digital color portait painting question

:iconmatsuemon:
Hey Deviants!
I've done a few realistic digital portraits, but only one of those was in color. It wasn't bad for a first attempt. I usually start rendering in color right off the bat, then add shadows/highlights at the very end. However, I've heard some people actually create a monotone painting first, then add color after that.

So, my question is, how would you even add color after the fact? It doesn't seem like it would look right. Maybe you have to do something with blending modes or change the brush modes?

Also, one more random question: how is the "color dodge/burn" blending mode any different than the normal dodge/burn tools? I'm a little unclear on that.

Anyway, thanks for any input

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconmatsuemon:
That's some good info, thanks guys. It's weird. I would've never thought that putting different colors on different layers would've blended with each other correctly. I just figured the top layers would obscure the lower layers, but it sounds like with the blending modes, it might work. I'll give that a try.
:iconresident-bishounen:
Resident-Bishounen Jan 7, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
When I do greyscale first, I'll use a few different colour layers:
- one with the blending mode set to "colour" for the base colours
- one on top with the blending mode set to 'normal' for blending and more colour variations
- one more on top for final touches
:iconurus-28:
Urus-28 Jan 7, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
The colour is added in a specific layer in color mode.
Add a Comment: