Closed to new replies
January 7, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 58

Adobe Photoshop CS2 - Free & Legal!

:iconself-epidemic:
Self-Epidemic Featured By Owner Jan 7, 2013  Professional Digital Artist
There are a lot of people on here always moaning about what programs, because of price and what not.

Well, here is Adobe Photoshop CS2 free. Its a christmas deal I think so it'll run out soonish I presume, but anyway:

[link]

<3

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconjmart-art:
jmart-art Featured By Owner Jan 9, 2013  Professional General Artist
Thanks for sharing, what a great thing to know about, a snafoo on their part or not this is definitely a generous thing to keep up, plus it can only help publicity. Not that they need it!
:iconnokari:
nokari Featured By Owner Jan 8, 2013
According to Adobe staff, this stuff is only for people who already own a valid copy of CS2. I guess it doesn't work otherwise.
Effective December 13, Adobe disabled the activation server for CS2 products and Acrobat 7 because of a technical glitch. These products were released over 7 years ago and do not run on many modern operating systems. But to ensure that any customers activating those old versions can continue to use their software, we issued a serial number directly to those customers.  While this might be interpreted as Adobe giving away software for free, we did it to help our customers.
:iconheavenhairsixes:
HeavenhairSixes Featured By Owner Jan 8, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
I can confirm that it does work - although not on all modern operating systems. The serial numbers and downloads are valid for anyone, not just previous users. There is just some debate about the legality of downloading and using the software.

Despite certain claims that have spread across the internet it is clear that Adobe never intended this as a 'free and legal' download or 'Christmas deal'. It appears to just be a colossal mistake.

[link]
nokari Featured By Owner Jan 8, 2013
I think the problem is that they've made the assumption that because CS2 is so old, that it can't be used on "modern operating systems", which is wrong. I can still use PS7 on my Windows 7 computer if I wanted to.
:iconachipps:
achipps Featured By Owner Jan 8, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Windows 8 works on new and old machines, and Photoshop 7 will work on that.
It's possible. But when I heard this new I checked various sources including the Adobe forums to try and figure out what was going on. As it seemed to be too good to true (and also at the time the download page linked was down so I was trying to find the direct download links which I heard were still working). I think the 'many modern operating systems' claim was made after the fact to try and discourage people as some kind of damage limitation.

I'm going to say that I might hypothetically have downloaded this software. I have a 2010 MacBook Pro which still runs Snow Leopard (because I needed Rosetta for Football Manager 2005 which I'm not giving up on until I win the Champions League with Walsall FC). CS2 would hypothetically have worked on great that but I'm sure had I upgraded to Mountain Lion it definitely wouldn't have because that dropped support for Rosetta and PowerPC applications (which included CS2).

I might hypothetically also have installed it on my dual boot Ubuntu/Windows XP desktop. Which hypothetically would have been fine. I have heard some people claiming to have it running on Windows Vista/7/8 so I'm assuming it is at least possible - but also I have heard people claiming otherwise so it might not be straightforward.

It appears this might have been a mistake but it looks like Adobe isn't going to fix it. My own assumption is this is going to hurt GIMP and other competitors worse than themselves - they won't admit this is legitimate but it doesn't like they are going to do anything to stop it either.
:iconurus-28:
Urus-28 Featured By Owner Jan 8, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Yes it could be a way to blast competitors...
Adobe have changed the price of lightroom by 50% with its last version of the software to destroy competitors knowing that customers will prefer something working fine with photoshop.
But I think it's more a huge mistake that will not cost them too much money (even if this kind of move can be problem for photoshop element) and give them a huge publicity.
Which is why I might hypothetically suggest that anyone who wants CS2 might hypothetically download it as soon as possible just in case somebody senior at Adobe realises what is going on gets involved and the download links / activation keys are lost forever.

But you are welcome to sort through the ongoing poop storm on the Adobe forums if you want the actual facts;
[link]
Although so far I still think it is impossible to work out what is going to happen next...
Urus-28 Featured By Owner Jan 9, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
It's quite strange that there is no real official communication of Adobe on the subject, the news of CS2 offer has been released everywhere and the only counter claim about this is an answer in a forum...
Perhaps they have chosen a non declaration strategy to avoid damages on their brand image :shrug:
:icondantesmilodon:
DanteSmilodon Featured By Owner Jan 8, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
By reading comments on those forums and other websites (some girl on a Facebook group had posted about this "CS2 is free" thing), I can't help but be intrigued by the conspiracy theories surrounding it. Even though it's not new software, a company like Adobe would remove the links and make a public announcement as soon as possible.

But how would it hurt GIMP and other competitors? A friend told me that SAI is no longer updated and GIMP, of course, is free. Anyhow, it's been 1 day since those posts by official Adobe employees and that's a lot for the downloads page to still be up.
HeavenhairSixes Featured By Owner Jan 9, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Well the situation had been ongoing for weeks until the whole 'Adobe is giving away CS2' thing went viral a few days back. And it appeared that the first thing Adobe did when that happened was to actually remove the download page, so there was a reaction. The fact that it got put back up again and there still hasn't been a public announcement (that I know of) is only going to fuel speculation.

I didn't necessarily mean to financially hurt competitors - as GIMP is free it isn't going to lose sales revenue. I meant in terms of hurting their userbases.

I know I once worked for a company whose prime concern was that as many people were using its software as possible - because people who used alternative software would often continue using alternative software while people who were using its own software would often be loyal and buy future upgrades even if they hadn't bought the version they were using.

This company cut deals to have its software bundled with hardware so as many people would start off using it as possible even though in the short term it was hurting its own sales. It even opted out of a scheme to prosecute pirates because it actually preferred to have people using pirated versions of its software in the hope that they might purchase software in the future rather than alienating potential customers.

Other companies do the opposite and avoid cheap or free software distributions in order to maintain the perceived value of their software - they don't want people questioning paying high prices in the future or avoiding upgrading at full price in the hope they might eventually get a free or cheap stuff.

At the moment it looks like this situation is unintentional but Adobe is getting a little benefit from both strategies. It isn't officially condoning or sanctioning a free distribution of CS2 but it is certainly damaging its rivals userbases. I think they have just decided to tolerate the situation - especially as they can't take back the huge amounts of software that must already have been downloaded.
(1 Reply)
:iconageen:
Ageen Featured By Owner Jan 8, 2013  Student Digital Artist
I'm really confused about Adobe's real statement on the subject, but it got me thiking.
It's almost impossible to buy any version older than CS5 at the moment (or even CS6, to be honest). And what if I don't need as many options, but don't have 800$ to spend? I use PS Elements, but it lacks some key functions and I'd be really glad to be able to grab Photoshop as old as CS, heck even 7-8 for anywhere around 50-100$, like most computer programs (at least here in Poland). I am pretty sure this would lower the piracy rates for the whole company.
DanteSmilodon Featured By Owner Jan 8, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Unlike video games or movies, software is not always meant to have previous versions available.

Example: If Adobe developed a X5 version of a program and marketed it for $500, but the X4 version was still available cheaper (let's say $350~), it's obvious the X4 version would sell more. Adobe forces customers to buy the latest version since it would be a mess to have all versions available with different prices.

Simply put, their marketing strategy is to have three editions: (Basic) Photoshop Elements - $99, (Standard) Photoshop - $699~ and (Professional) Photoshop Package - $800~.
Ageen Featured By Owner Jan 8, 2013  Student Digital Artist
True that, and yet I am pretty sure they'd simply earn more than they do now if they would have the older versions up. If someone can't afford a 700$ PS, but needs functions that PSE lacks, they will most likely download the software illegally.
DanteSmilodon Featured By Owner Jan 9, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Well, I find it hard to think that someone would actually need the full version's features but couldn't afford it. A lot of submissions here are Anime and American animation themed stuff; Photoshop is $600~ since it is aimed at professional graphics designers, Open Canvas and SAI should be the main cheaper options deviants (who don't pirate) should use.
Ageen Featured By Owner Jan 9, 2013  Student Digital Artist
Why is it hard to think of? Photoshop allows a whole lot of tools for artists. And what about those who do photomanipulations? I know that there's free gimp, but I have worked with both for years (I have that experience despite my age, which seems kinda funny to say) and though they are similar, gimp is harder to move around and use.
My point being, sometimes you just can't replace good old photoshop- but just because you need it, doesn't mean you can afford it.
DanteSmilodon Featured By Owner Jan 9, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I mean, Photoshop is expensive since it's big companies and professional designers that use it. A lot of non-photograph content on deviantART is fan art from Pokémon, Harry Potter, The Lion King, etc.

Considering users who are around ages 13~20 only want to use Photoshop to make fan art / OCs, it would be more logical to buy Open Canvas, Sai or use GIMP, since a tablet and a scanner are also expensive.

I know piracy is common and teenagers don't feel bad about it, but that would be the "right way" to do is if you don't want to pirate.
Ageen Featured By Owner Jan 9, 2013  Student Digital Artist
This kind of leads to a whole other discussion about wether fanart is a fully-valuable art and I odn't want to argue on that (I think it is, just as any other art).
You have to remember that many people from this age group, even fan artists, have more tallent in their pinky finger than most of us will ever have, ever.

Well, I feel like we'll just be going on and onforever on the same thing, so let me just sum up my point:
Photoshop offers a lot more than other programs for many- graphic designers, painters, etc, but not all can afford the lates software.
I think Adobe should allow one or two of the previous versions for sale for cheaper than the new stuff.
That'd be it :)
:iconbrokenrose80:
brokenrose80 Featured By Owner Jan 8, 2013  Student Traditional Artist
awesome thanks
:iconaghorishaivite:
Aghorishaivite Featured By Owner Jan 8, 2013  Professional Writer
THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:iconi-mend:
I-MEND Featured By Owner Jan 8, 2013
Thank you for mentioning this! I can now work on Illustrator outside of work!
:iconmagnanimoussquirrel:
magnanimousSquirrel Featured By Owner Jan 8, 2013  Student General Artist
Well that's great. :D
:iconyzabel:
Yzabel Featured By Owner Jan 8, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Awesome! :D
Thank you for sharing this!
:iconflakface:
flakface Featured By Owner Jan 7, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Thank you thank you thank you :)
:iconflakface:
flakface Featured By Owner Jan 7, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Oh wow.

this is amazing for me. I've been using PS7 for ages!

:D
:iconsuchimangolassi:
suchiMANGOLASSI Featured By Owner Jan 7, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
Holy crap, thank you so much for sharing this! I've been wanting Photoshop foreeeeeever!
:iconsullyrucks:
SullyRucks Featured By Owner Jan 7, 2013  Student Digital Artist
[link]

It seems it was a misunderstanding? This is confusing...
:iconphoenixleo:
phoenixleo Featured By Owner Jan 7, 2013
We're sorry, the site area you've requested is unavailable. Please try again later.
Well even hearing it was nice. >_>
:iconjules1983:
Jules1983 Featured By Owner Jan 7, 2013  Hobbyist Photographer
Works for me now :)
:iconchronos-kun:
Chronos-Kun Featured By Owner Jan 7, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
hmmm... if they "are tired of keeping the activation servers running to support legitimate installs of the 10-year-old CS2" and they are making a free download as a gift for a limited time, then why the heck don't they make it free permanently? what about the even older programs?

I'm on board with Urus-28 on this one. something is not right with the info. Twisted and derived from misread info from adobe, then sugar coated enough to make it believable. alas, this is what I'm hearing from the link/discussion Urus provided.
Urus-28 Featured By Owner Jan 7, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
According to what I'm reading in Adobe forum, all of this seems to be a huge misunderstanding and clear mistake from Adobe...
[link]
:iconbreyercrazy:
breyercrazy Featured By Owner Jan 7, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
what exactly is the system? i have no experience with anything about photoshop
:iconnao--ren:
nao--ren Featured By Owner Jan 7, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
it's not sure if it's really free and legal! maybe this is the reason why it's down atm. There was some discussions about "free to download but not free to use if you don't own a license"...

Well I think we all should wait for an official statement by Adobe!
Well the page is down on adobe website :(
Well that is unfortunate, maybe a server error? I'm presuming its super popular.
If it's not a bad joke from gizmodo it's highly possible that the page is super popular.
But I have not seen any problem for the CS6 beta download... Which was also super popular...
:iconsangrde:
Sangrde Featured By Owner Jan 7, 2013   Digital Artist
Is CS6 beta download closed now? Just wondering..
Well the software has been released for more than 6 month now... So you can't download the beta.
But you can download the trial version =)
:iconholly-mellor:
Holly-Mellor Featured By Owner Jan 7, 2013  Professional Digital Artist
I'm not sure how Gizmodo would post a joke on Adobe's own website.
Well I can expect everything from Gizmodo, but this has been shared everywhere and I've read report that's working... So I just have to wait for the server... :bucktooth:
:iconholly-mellor:
Holly-Mellor Featured By Owner Jan 7, 2013  Professional Digital Artist
Definitely, good luck to you!
:iconjellybean9000:
Jellybean9000 Featured By Owner Jan 7, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
I already have CS5, so I'm good. :D
Well what was the point in replying? Its for people who need a program, not for those who are fine.
:iconjellybean9000:
Jellybean9000 Featured By Owner Jan 7, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
I was just sayin'. :shrug:
:iconadriannauk:
adriannauk Featured By Owner Jan 7, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
link wont work for me :( bugger!
Really? Just go to adobe.com, I'm sure it'll be there somewhere.
nokari Featured By Owner Jan 7, 2013
Nope, not there.

Well that is unfortunate, maybe a server error? I'm presuming its super popular.
nokari Featured By Owner Jan 7, 2013
Either there was too high traffic or they removed the page. It could have been a mistake to begin with also.
:iconjmart-art:
jmart-art Featured By Owner Jan 9, 2013  Professional General Artist
Just went to it myself it is up now. Probably super hit on bandwidth because of the news.
Add a Comment: