Closed to new replies
January 7, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 58

Adobe Photoshop CS2 - Free & Legal!

:iconself-epidemic:
Self-Epidemic Featured By Owner Jan 7, 2013  Professional Digital Artist
There are a lot of people on here always moaning about what programs, because of price and what not.

Well, here is Adobe Photoshop CS2 free. Its a christmas deal I think so it'll run out soonish I presume, but anyway:

[link]

<3

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconzen-like:
zen-like Featured By Owner Jan 9, 2013  Student Traditional Artist
Thanks for sharing, what a great thing to know about, a snafoo on their part or not this is definitely a generous thing to keep up, plus it can only help publicity. Not that they need it!
:iconnokari:
nokari Featured By Owner Jan 8, 2013  Professional Interface Designer
According to Adobe staff, this stuff is only for people who already own a valid copy of CS2. I guess it doesn't work otherwise.
Effective December 13, Adobe disabled the activation server for CS2 products and Acrobat 7 because of a technical glitch. These products were released over 7 years ago and do not run on many modern operating systems. But to ensure that any customers activating those old versions can continue to use their software, we issued a serial number directly to those customers.  While this might be interpreted as Adobe giving away software for free, we did it to help our customers.
:iconheavenhairsixes:
HeavenhairSixes Featured By Owner Jan 8, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
I can confirm that it does work - although not on all modern operating systems. The serial numbers and downloads are valid for anyone, not just previous users. There is just some debate about the legality of downloading and using the software.

Despite certain claims that have spread across the internet it is clear that Adobe never intended this as a 'free and legal' download or 'Christmas deal'. It appears to just be a colossal mistake.

[link]
:iconnokari:
nokari Featured By Owner Jan 8, 2013  Professional Interface Designer
I think the problem is that they've made the assumption that because CS2 is so old, that it can't be used on "modern operating systems", which is wrong. I can still use PS7 on my Windows 7 computer if I wanted to.
:iconachipps:
achipps Featured By Owner Jan 8, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Windows 8 works on new and old machines, and Photoshop 7 will work on that.
It's possible. But when I heard this new I checked various sources including the Adobe forums to try and figure out what was going on. As it seemed to be too good to true (and also at the time the download page linked was down so I was trying to find the direct download links which I heard were still working). I think the 'many modern operating systems' claim was made after the fact to try and discourage people as some kind of damage limitation.

I'm going to say that I might hypothetically have downloaded this software. I have a 2010 MacBook Pro which still runs Snow Leopard (because I needed Rosetta for Football Manager 2005 which I'm not giving up on until I win the Champions League with Walsall FC). CS2 would hypothetically have worked on great that but I'm sure had I upgraded to Mountain Lion it definitely wouldn't have because that dropped support for Rosetta and PowerPC applications (which included CS2).

I might hypothetically also have installed it on my dual boot Ubuntu/Windows XP desktop. Which hypothetically would have been fine. I have heard some people claiming to have it running on Windows Vista/7/8 so I'm assuming it is at least possible - but also I have heard people claiming otherwise so it might not be straightforward.

It appears this might have been a mistake but it looks like Adobe isn't going to fix it. My own assumption is this is going to hurt GIMP and other competitors worse than themselves - they won't admit this is legitimate but it doesn't like they are going to do anything to stop it either.
:iconurus-28:
Urus-28 Featured By Owner Jan 8, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Yes it could be a way to blast competitors...
Adobe have changed the price of lightroom by 50% with its last version of the software to destroy competitors knowing that customers will prefer something working fine with photoshop.
But I think it's more a huge mistake that will not cost them too much money (even if this kind of move can be problem for photoshop element) and give them a huge publicity.
Which is why I might hypothetically suggest that anyone who wants CS2 might hypothetically download it as soon as possible just in case somebody senior at Adobe realises what is going on gets involved and the download links / activation keys are lost forever.

But you are welcome to sort through the ongoing poop storm on the Adobe forums if you want the actual facts;
[link]
Although so far I still think it is impossible to work out what is going to happen next...
:iconurus-28:
Urus-28 Featured By Owner Jan 9, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
It's quite strange that there is no real official communication of Adobe on the subject, the news of CS2 offer has been released everywhere and the only counter claim about this is an answer in a forum...
Perhaps they have chosen a non declaration strategy to avoid damages on their brand image :shrug:
:icondantesmilodon:
DanteSmilodon Featured By Owner Jan 8, 2013   Digital Artist
By reading comments on those forums and other websites (some girl on a Facebook group had posted about this "CS2 is free" thing), I can't help but be intrigued by the conspiracy theories surrounding it. Even though it's not new software, a company like Adobe would remove the links and make a public announcement as soon as possible.

But how would it hurt GIMP and other competitors? A friend told me that SAI is no longer updated and GIMP, of course, is free. Anyhow, it's been 1 day since those posts by official Adobe employees and that's a lot for the downloads page to still be up.
Add a Comment: