Shop Mobile More Submit  Join Login

Details

Closed to new replies
January 7, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 18

Where to find good concept art resources?

:iconvexcel:
Vexcel Featured By Owner Jan 7, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
Anything really, from anatomy to poses.. I'm curious!

I haven't been able to find any good websites, books, or blogs. D:

Please post anything you wish to share :D

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:icondebra-marie:
Debra-Marie Featured By Owner Jan 14, 2013  Hobbyist Artisan Crafter
Books!! Since you say "anything really" I'll give you some I like. I found some really good anatomy books at my local library in the art section-look there. Also, I find concept art (from movies) to be really helpful and inspirational as well! One I really want to get is the concept art book for Rise of the guardians. I think it really helps to see other people's sketching/art processes.
Vexcel Featured By Owner Jan 14, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
Oh awesome, and I love that movie too :D ^^ Well thank you
:icondebra-marie:
Debra-Marie Featured By Owner Jan 14, 2013  Hobbyist Artisan Crafter
:D
:icongikima:
gikima Featured By Owner Jan 14, 2013
idk if this helps but [link] is where i get most of my anatomy resources uvu
Vexcel Featured By Owner Jan 14, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
Oh awesome I love these tumblr blogs XD thanks!
:iconpuppy-dangerous:
puppy-dangerous Featured By Owner Jan 7, 2013  Professional Artisan Crafter
posemaniacs

Warning- graphics heavy so it may take a minute to load
Thank you, looks very useful!
:icondark-zeblock:
Dark-Zeblock Featured By Owner Jan 7, 2013  Student General Artist
Well, these might help!

Websites:

Digital Painting/other

:bulletblue: ConceptArt.Org [link]

:bulletblue: YouTube videos
MikeMeth - [link] - Digital art
idrawgirls - [link] - Digital art
macpulenta - [link] - Digital art
Chris L - [link] - Concept art

:bulletblue: FengZhuDesign [link] - Video tutorials

:bulletblue: cgsociety (Society of digital artists) [link]

:bulletblue: ConceptArtMasters [link] / [link] - concept are tutorials

;bulletblue: 3DTotal [link] - the same people who made Digital Painting Techniques series

Anatomy

:bulletblue:LoveCastle [link] , FineartSK [link] , PoseManiacs [link] and pixelovely [link] all focuses on improving anatomy. They have photographs that can be used for references or a timed drawing exercises.

:bulletblue: AnatomyArcade [link] is a game designed to help expand knowledge on anatomy.

:bulletblue: Pose Master free [link] (YouTube link) is actually a software exactly like PoseManiacs but you don't need internet and you can change timers, use the pre-loaded photos and even use your own photos. (I know it's safe as I use it from time to time).

:bulletblue: AnatomicalArt [link] and LearningAnatomy [link] are both Tumblr blogs focusing on anatomy tutorials and references.

Books:

Digital painting

:bulletred:D'artiste series by Ballistic Publishing - I have the concept art one in the series and it's very good. The downside is that they are very expensive. They have info on artists, artist galleries and tutorials. Each book focuses on one subject: Concept art, 3D modeling, Character design, fashion design etc...
[link]

:bulletred:Digital Painting Techniques: Masters Collection series by 3DTotal - These are also very good. There are different volumes. They are like D'artiste but slightly cheaper. They have info on artists, tutorials and such.
[link]

:bulletred:Fantasy Art Workshop: Mastering Digital Painting Techniques by ImagineFX
[link]

Impeccable Scene Design for Game, Animation and Film: Scene Design Course by Weiye Yin - I find this book very useful when drawing landscapes - It does teach about digitally drawing landscapes but it also has the theory side of it as well.
[link]

:bulletred: DRIVE: vehicle sketches and renderings by Scott Robertson - A book focusing on machinery and cars it has tons of sketches, concept art and 3D models.
[link]

:bulletred: Bold Visions: The Digital Painting Bible for Fantasy and Science-Fiction Artists by Gary Tonge
[link]

Anatomy

Here are some books that focuses on anatomy, poses and anatomy references

:bulletred: Albinus on Anatomy
[link]

:bulletred: Atlas of Human Anatomy for the Artist by Stephen Rogers Peck
[link]

:bulletred: Drawing the Head and Figure by Jack Hamm
[link]

:bulletred: Loomis is good to look at - there are PDFs of his books you can get free on the internet but I don't have the link.... ^^;
[link]

:bulletred: Anatomy for the Artist by Jenő Barcsay
[link]

:bulletred: An Atlas of Anatomy for Artists by Fritz Schider
[link]

:bulletred: The Figure: The Classic Approach to Drawing and Construction by Walt Reed - Walt Reed explains the human body in references simpler then Hogarth. It also focuses on poses.
[link]

:bulletred: Book by Burne Hogarth - Although he draws the human body very muscular his techniques in creating the human body, putting it into poses and getting things in proportion etc... are very effective once understood.
[link]

Also looking at concept art or artbooks of a movie or game is also helpful.
Examples:
[link]
[link]
[link]
[link]

Most of the links in the books section link to goodreads . com - you can read info and reviews about the books there. I thought it would be better to just link there then to just repeat everything.
O_O I have not yet read through any of the links entirely, but thank you so much for taking your time to put together all these links! I am excited to look through them :D
:icondark-zeblock:
Dark-Zeblock Featured By Owner Jan 7, 2013  Student General Artist
Also, [link] parkablogs is a book review blog - which focuses on a lot on artbooks... :)
Add a Comment: