Closed to new replies
January 6, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 18

Lineart Battle in SAI : Linework Layer vs Normal Layer

:iconjustfansxxx:
Justfansxxx Featured By Owner Jan 6, 2013
Cast aside the ridiculous title, which is better in making Lineart in SAI... I struggle for month choosing between Linework and Normal. I saw lot of artist prefer to using Normal when making Lineart but my hand is more adapt to Linework (since it's easier to modify the line). Anyway can you help this little guys out??

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconknoire:
knoire Featured By Owner Jan 22, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I prefer a normal layer. If you practice enough, you'll find normal lineart to look more natural and go much more quickly. Although I do rely on line work for trickier lines, such as a line with several curves. I think using a bit of both makes the most out of sai
:iconredmarlin:
redmarlin Featured By Owner Jan 21, 2013
Personally, I do the linework on a linework layer, since my recent method of drawing winds up eliminating the linework anyway.
:iconnarutokunobessed:
narutokunobessed Featured By Owner Jan 21, 2013  Student General Artist
I say whatever float your boat. Mostly I would say to use the lineart layer since its supposed to function for that. I know that line art is at its best quality when used in Sai. And also since its vector, its alot smoother then pixels and vector tends to resize better (until you convert to raster layers).

But if its regular like sketchy lines, vector isn't necessary, and its better to use pixel art.
:iconkenn-k:
Kenn-K Featured By Owner Jan 20, 2013  Student Traditional Artist
i like the normal layer on s-5 or above, mostly because i can easily change the color of the lines with the opacity lock. i dont know if i am doing it wrong, but i cant seem to change line art colors with the line layer.
:iconaricania:
Aricania Featured By Owner Jan 20, 2013
I use the line art layer. I would like to move to regular layer cause it gives more natural lines (which is why I do all my eyes by hand instead) but line art layer is alot easier for me cause I have shaky hands. haha. I would love to transition to reg though.
:iconpichoochoo:
Pichoochoo Featured By Owner Jan 20, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I use normal layer because after as lot of practice on using the normal layer the lineart Looks more, well, natural. I only usually use linework Layer only for like furniture and stuff
:iconlehalogen:
LeHalogen Featured By Owner Jan 17, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Normal layer with S-7
Lineart layer with S-1
:iconstraightx:
straightx Featured By Owner Jan 17, 2013  Student Digital Artist
Line work and Normal are two very different ways of rendering. Line work creates a vector line mean that it can scale infinitely in both directions. This is a double edged sword. What you are gaining in sharpness you are losing in raw rendering. This is why many people prefer to do a rough sketch then do a line work layer on top to get those perfect lines.
:iconredmarlin:
redmarlin Featured By Owner Jan 21, 2013
Not on SAI. No matter what kind you use, it's still a bitmap. It's just a different set of tools.
:iconstraightx:
straightx Featured By Owner Jan 21, 2013  Student Digital Artist
The line art layer is vector based. Meaning instead of using pixels it uses a mathematical equation to draw lines, color,ect. That is why you can manipulate line art layers and get 0 pixelation. When you are changing how the line looks you are changing the equation. Now I want you to make a super tiny speck in a normal layer. Then use transform to blow it up super big. You will get lots of pixelation and muddy edges. If you do this same experiment on a line art layer the edges will still be sharp. This is because it's vector based, while a regular layer is pixel based. The second you save it as something like a jpeg it turns it all into pixels.
Add a Comment: