Closed to new replies
January 6, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 9

Can someone take look at this painting?

:iconflclmadness:
FLCLmadness Featured By Owner Jan 6, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
Here is a new digital painting I'm working on but I need some help. The buildings are giving me some real trouble. I don't know how to make them look more realistic. I'm just filling in some random shades but that's not good. It's not really helping me make this a better picture. Any suggestions? On the building or just the picture itself.... Definitely not done yet.

[link]

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconxtinyheartx:
xtinyheartx Featured By Owner Jan 6, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
oh and since you want more advanced and polished buildings don't have the colors look grainy...try looking at tutorials that involve reflective surfaces and such. ^_^

I don't usually draw buildings but what i would do is draw the shape of the object onto the building in a lighter color then change the opacity of the layer to 20-60% depending on what looks better.
:iconliciandragon:
LicianDragon Featured By Owner Jan 6, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Are you using any reference? Those are a must in any piece really.
Here a few photos of stone buildings on DA
[link]
[link]
[link]
[link]
[link]

Please note that not all of these pictures are stock images so if you do draw them you do not have permision to post them on DA.

The stone on the left looks good, like smooth slate. The stone on the right looks more like glass. Even straight slabs of stone won't be that perfect. Make the outline of pieces more irregular and add more defining texture to them. I can see you're using a texture brush. Those are good but you have to know how to use them.

Also, here are some tutorials on painting rock and stone. Hope these help you!
[link]
[link]
[link]
[link]
[link]
[link]
[link]
[link]
Omg Thank you so much, this was really helpful! And the warning note is noted. I will not post what I don't have permission to post. However, I wasn't going for stone buildings. I was looking more into modern buildings. Its supposed to be a city. But these are good resources and I'll look into constructing stone buildings instead. It may fit the composition better. I'm going to change the giant orb ball into a really beautiful orange sky (if i can make a sky). So thank you. :)
:iconliciandragon:
LicianDragon Featured By Owner Jan 6, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Ah, ok. I was under the impression they were stone ^^; Sorry. Glad I could still be helpful!
I see your trying to make a stone structure?

I have troubles with stone texture myself so what i would do is take a picture of some stones and find a picture and create a overlay layer and put it on there for the texture
Ok cool thank you! I wasn't exactly looking for stone structure, I wanted more modern buildings but i seem to have given the impression of drawing stone buildings, since you're not the first person to think they were stone. so I think I'll look into that. So I'm curious about this overlay layer. I'm not to sure I know how to do that. If you don't mind, could you explain what an overlay layer is and how its made?
Ok sure I have only worked with Photoshop though and i don't know how other programs do this, so I'm just gonna tell you how to do it with photoshop lol ^_^;;

1) Paint onto the first layer the shape and color of the object
2) make another layer
3) there should be a drop down box above your layers, click it and look for "overlay"
4) Now paste on the textured picture.

If you want, change that overlay layer back to normal to see the difference. Mess around with it. ^_^
Huh interesting thank you for the help :) I use photoshop so this was good.
Your welcome ^u^
Add a Comment: